Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many top off the magazine for carry purposes?

I am assuming of course that you also carry with a round in the chamber. This is not a discussion of that. It is merely a question of whether those who do carry a round in the chamber also top off their magazine to mazimize the load.

I sometimes do but I have a bad magazine rattle when my magazines are full. I cannot really explain why but I hear it happens with different pistols now and then. Anyway though, I normall just load the magazine, insert it, and cycle the slide, and then holster.

·
Registered
465 Posts
How many top off the magazine for carry purposes?

I am assuming of course that you also carry with a round in the chamber. This is not a discussion of that. It is merely a question of whether those who do carry a round in the chamber also top off their magazine to mazimize the load.

I sometimes do but I have a bad magazine rattle when my magazines are full. I cannot really explain why but I hear it happens with different pistols now and then. Anyway though, I normall just load the magazine, insert it, and cycle the slide, and then holster.
I never top off the mag. My magazines hold 10 rounds so that is what I carry. My magazines rattle too. As soon as I load 6 rounds in them they start to rattle. They are the Meggar magazines that came with my Kel Tec P-11.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Always. Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II. 1 in the pipe, seven in each mag, and no rattle:yup:

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Top it off every time. If you carry chambered why wouldn't you. I don't know if that extra round will make a difference, but I do not intend to find out the hard way.

Certainly make sure your gun cycles properly in this way before you carry it thus. I have heard some folks say their guns will not. I have never had a problem this way, but you never know until you try.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Top off always!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
1 in the pipe and magazine topped off. If I get a rattle I tap the magazine side to side a few times to settle the rounds (usually works). Used to have the problem a lot more with single stack mags, but no longer have any.

bosco

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
I always top off after filling the pipe.

My Glock mags do not rattle.

My XD mags rattle when they are out of the gun but, but once placed in the gun, there's no rattle! Strange?

My 1911 magazines do not rattle but I have not carried my 1911's in a while.

My Revolvers get a bullet in every hole too!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I always top off after filling the pipe.

My Glock mags do not rattle.

My XD mags rattle when they are out of the gun but, but once placed in the gun, there's no rattle! Strange?

My 1911 magazines do not rattle but I have not carried my 1911's in a while.

My Revolvers get a bullet in every hole too!

You may have just changed the way I do things.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Always.

Why would I deprive myself of that extra round?

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts
I always top off my mag after one is in the chamber.:yup:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Always.

Why would I deprive myself of that extra round?
+1. I carry a 1911 and that extra round represents over 11% of my total capacity.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Of course!
If they wanted me to only carry 12 rds in my Glock 23 Mag they would have made it a 12 rounder. :danceban:

1 - 20 of 101 Posts