Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only have 3 calibers of firearms, 9mm (2 handguns), a .22 rifle, and a 12 gauge. I have probably 1200 rounds of .22, 600 rounds of 9mm, and probably 150 12ga shotshells, ranging from 00 buck to standard gameloads. Is this a bit excessive, or is there no such thing as too much ammo? lol

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Never too much ammo unless you are on fire or swiming ....

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always buy .22LR when I see it on the shelves. I actually underestimated my 9mm count because I forgot that I went into a sporting goods store last week and they had Remington 115gr FMJ target rounds on sale at $10 for 50 and I got three boxes. lol Probably have close to 800 rounds now.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
I always buy .22LR when I see it on the shelves. I actually underestimated my 9mm count because I forgot that I went into a sporting goods store last week and they had Remington 115gr FMJ target rounds on sale at $10 for 50 and I got three boxes. lol Probably have close to 800 rounds now.
Just any .22LR? They don't all feed the same. Unless one can find Velocitors, CCI, I don't buy.

CCI Ammunition - Product Detail

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can NEVER have too much ammo. When I see a strong price on any caliber I have, I buy some. I've got thousands stashed. You just never know when the next "run" will be. Better to have plenty on hand.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Excessive? No way. That's barely enough for a good day. Of just the three you stated I'm sure I have over 6,000 rounds of .22, 4,000 rounds of 9mm and probably 12-15,000 rounds of 12ga. We have three in the family that are serious trap shooters so that's only enough 12ga. for about half a year of shooting Trap. I reload constantly. That's just three calibers and we shoot I think at last count it was over 20 calibers! So it all depends on your circumstance as to what you think enough is.

·
Registered
VIGILANT CURMUDGEON
279 Posts
I have sufficient amount to meet my needs with out going in to detailing the quantities on hand.

The quantity of my ballistic arsenal is maxed out , in my modest utility (★Reloading ) room.
But I keep enough components, & powder on hand to make another 1500 rounds.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Now that I have started reloading I seem to keep less loaded ammo. Have about 2-3,3000 of .22, can't reload .22. Keep about 300 for each handgun caliber ,about 500 for the AR and about 100 for the 12 gauge. I have way more empty brass than I do loaded. Reloading makes me shoot more, so I'm always trying to catch up :smile:

·
Premium Member
8,121 Posts
Financial advisors tell us to have enough money saved for 3 to 4 month of living expenses. This ammo advisor (me) believes in having enough ammo on hand for a year or more, and that is totally dependent on how much and how often you shoot.

·
Registered
10,703 Posts
A case of 20 gauge, a case of 12 gauge, 1000 rounds of 5.56, 600 rounds of loaded 9mm, a case of .45. 3000 rounds of .22 LR. Enough reloading components to reload 3000 rounds of 9mm, 300o rounds of .45, 500 rounds of 5.56, 1000 rounds of 7mm-08, 3000 rounds of 7mm Rem Mag. Really not enough!

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I've got way more than I really need of the calibers I don't shoot much, and not enough of the ones I do.

Like you, I usually buy some 22lr when I find some while out. All I shoot it from is my Marlin bolt gun, so velocity isn't an issue. Probably about as much 12ga as you. A ton of 40, which I haven't shot in months, almost a year really. Then less than 500rds each of 380, 9mm, 38sp, 357Sig, and 45acp.

·
Registered
9,410 Posts
excessive? Thats all you've got?

Oh, I get it, thats all you'll publicly admit you've got, right?

I dont really know how much I have, but there is quite a bit between what I have loaded and supplies. I fill all my mags for each gun and dont keep track after that. I just try to keep the cans full.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts