Defensive Carry banner

How much does internet access help the future of 2A and gun owners?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We gunowners are spread all of the U.S., and even the world, and the internet (particularly gun forums) gives us the ability to easily "meet and discuss" gun talk, including 2A matters. For example, we are often encouraged to participate in a some media-sponsored poll, we see sample letters sent to legislators, find about about pending legislation, etc. I see this as something very positive, it keeps us informed, knowledgeable, and therefore strong. The amount of impact via the internet would be hard to measure so I'm asking for your opinion:

Do you think the "internet" helps us, and if so how much impact do you think it has made/will make?

·
Super Moderator
17,714 Posts
Defiantly helps, where else can you get instant info on pending legislation and immediately and let your representatives know of your opinion of matters.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I think it defiantly helps, getting the correct information out is important, and the internet is a great tool for this purpose.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I choose "Has Potential". The internet, like a firearm, is a great equalizer. It helps and hurts our cause. It helps in that, as previously mentioned, 2A proponents from across the internet can come together, share information, and pursue our cause. It can harm our cause because it provides the same capabilities for those who oppose our views.

The wrench in the works is that it also provides a great medium for passing lies and half-truths off as fact. Most on this forum, and I would imagine most on anti-2A forums, have made up their minds as to where they stand on the issue. But the undecideds, the people who could potentially swell the ranks of supporters on either side of the debate, have so much disinformation to sort through that it becomes very difficult to be sure they're making an informed decision.

So I think it can be a great help, and a great hindrance. It stands to be seen who will make better use of the medium. Or maybe the big question is will the truth win or be drowned out by the noise?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I put it helps somewhat. I always need to filter the fact from fiction

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
I think it definitely helps, just this forum helps about 35K people.:yup:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Just imagine what life would be like:
1) Without the plethora of Gun forums like DC, Glocktalk & The High Road.
2) Just the big 3 news outlets (NBC, CBS & ABC) with their obvious liberal bent.
3) Without other social networking sites, including the ones run by radio talk show hosts like Rush, Glenn & Sean?

We would be in serious trouble if that were the case. Serious trouble.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I voted helps somewhat because of the number of you tube idiots that hurt our cause.

In terms of what I learn here, it's priceless.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I voted helps somewhat because of the number of you tube idiots that hurt our cause.

In terms of what I learn here, it's priceless.
That wasn't very nice LOL. I do understand where you are coming from though.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Definitely helps. The internet is my primary source for gun related news.

Also it's the number one way I correspond with my legislators.

·
Super Moderator
18,130 Posts
Tyrants hate the dissemination of information.

Knowledge is their biggest enemy.

Information on just about anything is available if you know where to look.

As for the gun nuts, if you need instructions on assembly or disassembly or an idea of how a gun performs, it's there.

I have lived most of my life without it.

I can say that I love it.
:comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Absolutely essential.

Governments have stopped mailing NPRM, and other notices. Timely notice now depends on the Internet. By the time you hear about a new law the old fashion way, it has been passed.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I wouldn't limit it to just gun owners. The internet helps everyone who values or can derive value from the flow of information.

-B

·
Registered
774 Posts
I voted "has potential" as well. IMO, the internet serves to reinforce peoples' ideas/world views.

Why you ask? Well, how did I find this site? It came up in a google search of course.

People only learn more about what they are already interested in because of the language they use to maintain thier interests. I know this is complicated and I doubt you care, but see sapir-whorf hypothesis (more specifically linguistic relativity) if interested further.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Defiantly helps, where else can you get instant info on pending legislation and immediately and let your representatives know of your opinion of matters.
I readily agree, here's a link to a "hot' thread that was running on a Louisiana gun forum a while back. To me it shows the power the internet gives us, which I see as a big advantage.

BayouShooter.com Forums

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it definitely helps, just this forum helps about 35K people.:yup:
Agreed, and just think each of those 35K people are able to spread the word further to family members and friends who aren't as active on gun forums as we are.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I went with "Helps somewhat."

One reason I can see how it hinders 2A is how every questionable violent shot fired is reported on. Shots in SD don't get as much chatter, and even then, the wording tends to be less gun friendly.

Information, and the free frow of it, is generally good. However anti-2A have been controlling the terms (mostly thanks to the media), and it has a way of working against 2A IMHO.

For example, gun owner brandishes revolver and takes law into his own hands. This can be a factual statement about a justified SD. Pro-2A bloggers will try to correct, the anti crowd will make it sound worse, and it will just be a battle of opinions. The original story is what be neutral to the general public.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts