Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone else out there thinks that he or she has an inefficient (though fairly enjoyable) method of obtaining holsters for his or her carry piece.

I know that for every weapon that I've carried, I 've gone through three or four holsters, determining which types I 've liked best, which features I've liked best, what works with what I want to do and which kinds just won't work with what I want to do, etc.

In last three or four years I have spent probably three or four hundred dollars on holsters that now act as pretty expensive and inefficient paperweights.....

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Lucky for me i havent had to much of a problem its not like i can walk into most stores and try one out as im a lefty..

Yes i have a few that suck but i notice if i call one of our custom makers who post here on forum and order from them then i get what i want with no problems and it works

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Luckily for me, my best friend (Rhome, another member of our group) is becoming a great holster maker, and uses me to test holsters. It a rough life, but somebody has to do it. He just brought me a beautiful holster for my Taurus 605 today! I will test it tomorrow, and dutifully report that it is great, like all the others...
My bedroom looks like a holster sales room!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I do confess to having the ubiquitous holster box/drawer but - in fact very few rigs seem like a real waste as I bought them to evaluate and it turns out much of time I find that necessary.

Quite a few could still be put to use and actually found a Don Hume from way back that suits my step daughter's new Bersa - quite adequately. It'll do her for now.

That said - since being with CC I have been able to hone down options a whole lot - and currently am totally set up with my Eagle Defender from K&D.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I stick with the top guys in the business and never think twice about it and I have never had to switch out holsters or try something different for a carry piece yet.

Buy from the best the first time and they work as they should, it is as simple as that.

Ti.

·
Super Moderator
23,586 Posts
When I started out CC, I tried to go with lesser holsters, and luckily have not spent too much (except on guns I'm not using). It's not working, so I'm going to jump sometime this year for the real deal, after a better evaluation. I'm still trying to avoid "The Drawer" syndrome, but w/o much success.....LOL

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
....I have too many holsters to count....I try to purchase at least one OWB and IWB for each gun....some guns, like my Beretta 92/96's have..ummm..several holsters....

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Ti Carry said:
I stick with the top guys in the business and never think twice about it and I have never had to switch out holsters or try something different for a carry piece yet.

Buy from the best the first time and they work as they should, it is as simple as that.

Ti.
that would be the thing I would do IF I had to do it all again, but as it is I have a huge holster drawer. Remember too that some newer people don't know what the "best" is, just what they hear. I know some cannot afford the "top" quality holsters right away, but if you ever add up all the holsters in the drawer, you have spent more than enough to have gotten one!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I started making my own holsters. I started when I was doing Cowboy Action Shooting and just made my first IWB last month. Double layer of leather with plastic sweat shield between layers. Not fancy but does the job. I'm going to make a couple more of different designs and see what I like the best. Have about $300 worth of tools already so each holster now cost me about $20 - $30 in leather and fittings. It's a fun hobby.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Learned a long time ago that you get what you pay for especially when it comes to gunleather. Rhome who was mentioned earlier shipped a box of several holsters to me yesterday and I am sure that they will meet the test.

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
Well, of course you can always buy some of the more mass produced holsters but, some like Galco...while initially fitting the firearm quite well tend to get "overly soft" fairly quickly. They collapse after a while which complicates reholstering.
Rigs made by the top custom makers do not seem to share that same problem.
I think the quality of the leather that the top custom makers use is better/firmer. Maybe denser would be the more correct term.

Also more obvious effort is put into perfect stitching & the application of the (all important) finish.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I also have a bunch of holsters I no longer use.

My issue was finding the style, ride height & cant that fit me. Once I found what worked best for me I knew what to look for in a holster.

Your mileage may vary...but you will end up with a bunch you don't use.

I've had good luck with Galco, Mitch Rosen, Ross(South African).

I'm waiting on one from Garrity that I think is going to fit the bill well.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have quite a few holsters to choose from. I only have about two that I'd say I regret buying. I like to change up my carry from time to time, depending on season,activity,mode of dress,and just how I feel on any given day. But choose a top quality holster if you are only going to get one or two get the best you can find. It'll pay off in the long run. You'll be happier with a top quality holster than one you think will save you some money. The two our so that I regret buying are of lets say the cheaper type.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't buy many holsters(I have 5), but when I do buy a holster it will multi-task or I will not buy it. I only have one concealment holster that is specifically designed for a certain model and that was a used freebie that the shop tossed in with the 1911 I bought. I guess I'm either cheap or just easy to please.

RH

·
Administrator
21,106 Posts
Well that's the good thing about Ebay...I've bought a TON of holsters including GALCO at a fairly good price, anything I don't like I can re-sell at the range or put it back up on Ebay. I just purchased the components for aGALCO Jack Ass 1911 shoulder holster and mag carrier for $40.00 not a bad deal, already had the harness and just needed the modules. Brand new at $40 beats the $100 bucks from a retailer or even Galco's online store.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Money spent on the wrong holster........lets see! Does the national deficit sound familiar. But I also gained, very expensively I might add, a good working knowledge of holsters.

I decided to try to recycle some I have that I no longer have a gun for. I have a Galco OWB sor a Sig P 220 I no longer have. I read an article on one of the other forums of how to shape and bone a holster and I have made a really nice OWB for a revolver from that holster. Hey I like it, it looks pretty darn good and thats all that matters right??? It holds the gun securely as well.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I have a few of the nylon fabric holsters that were not expensive (uncle mikes', etc.) so I would buy this or that just to add to the collection.
Leather, being pricey, is whole total different story. I don't go crazy buying those. I put in some thought. For instance, I have one holster that was used for some carry tests, etc. for a Glock 22 by the local copshop. Come to find out, my smith 1066, fits perfectly in it, like it is boned for it. A $100 holster new, it sit for 5 months at my local gunshop in a used box of holsters. SOLD $20. What a steal....
The best deals in new holsters though....are found on our board, and are made by our own members...

·
Registered
813 Posts
This site has proved a good resource for "what to buy and what not to buy"....It will still always come down to personal preferance. Too bad their isn't a way to test custom holsters.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Sidearmor IWB for G30 $65 sold later
UM el cheapo IWB for Taurus 605 $11
Bianchi Accumold OWB for Taurus 605 $23
Fist Latigo Hybrid IWB for Taurus 605 $70
Gould and Goodrich IWB for Para Ord 5" $35
Galco Concealable OWB for Para Ord 5" $60

About $264 retail. Not too shabby IMO.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts