Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually run a patch down the barrel of rifles I have stored about every six months to see if come out clean and to put a bit of oil in them. I have been remiss this year and have gone almost a year without checking. All the rifles still came out clean except my muzzle loading long rifle which has a barrel made from bar stock so it can develop rust more quickly.
It still was not too bad and cleaned up fast.
So how often do y'all check for rust? I assume humid areas need to be checked often. Not too bad here in N. Texas but it is not dry like AZ,

·
Premium Member
7,709 Posts
Never. They are always in my safe in the basement, so they are in a controlled environment.

I've had a Remington 581 since 1981. After college it moved around with me for 20 years before I finally pulled it out of a homemade vinyl gun bag. Stored in basements, closets, etc., over 10 relocations. The barrel had not been cleaned since I was in high school, probably 25 years. It was fine; when I took it out during the Obama Administration, it was no worse than when I put it way during the middle of the Regan Administration!

Maybe I got lucky, I don't know.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Mine are always fine, but then they are all stored inside. Everything outside here rusts in a matter of weeks.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Not often enough.

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,436 Posts
Mine are stored in a safe with a Golden Rod and six desiccant plug in units. When the desiccant turns pink, I plug them in to restore them.

·
Premium Member
4,911 Posts
Mine are stored in a safe with a Golden Rod and six desiccant plug in units. When the desiccant turns pink, I plug them in to restore them.

Same here. Golden Rod and two of these Remington units are in the safe.

Everything gets wiped down a couple times per year. The O/U gets extra attention.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Not often enough but it's fairly dry here in my part of the country. We're actually below normal on precip this year. My AR hangs on the wall in in AR safe but everything else goes in the safe that has humidity control. I thought about getting a barrel and filling it with oil and dunking all my rifles in it. But what a mess it would be to clean up when I want to go shooting.....

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
I think it boils down to

1. What kind of guns ..Ie what metal etc is it ..Is it surplus and uses ? ammo that may or may not be corrosive ..
2. Def where you live .. Someone in FL should be watchful far more then say AZ

A commerical gun shooting modern ammo I would check ever now and then but would not painc too much .. A vz52 in florida check like a hawk lol

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
Usually check them when I clean them; not too much issue with rust in my area of Az.

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have heard conflicting ideas on if a rifle should be stored in a case/bag or in the open.
My rifles are stored in a locked cabinet, it is not airtight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts