• Around 1000 Rounds

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple Question... How often do you clean your guns?

·
Registered
792 Posts
I would think this will be a landslide,... When it takes five minutes or less to do, why wouldn't you clean it every time you go shooting??

·
Super Moderator
18,098 Posts
I shoot enough guns that I have found it best to clean them immediately after shooting. If that cant be done, at best it will take no longer than a day or two.

That way, I don't have to remember what I shot and what I didn't.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I would think this will be a landslide,... When it takes five minutes or less to do, why wouldn't you clean it every time you go shooting??
Because I am lazy. Because after spending hours in the sun at the range, the last thing I want to do is clean my gun.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Every time I shoot (when I can), but also about every week or two for the carry piece whether I have shot it or not.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Everytime they are shot.

I don't really mind cleaning one or two. I actually kind of enjoy it. When it starts to suck is when you come home with 4 or 5+ to be cleaned. Then it gets old fast.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Another vote for the lazy approach. I probably clean my revolvers every other time I take them to the range. The Walther P22, though, insists on being cleaned and oiled EVERY TIME I take her.

Edit: For me, a range trip is 50 rounds per revolver, and 100-200 through the 22. Can't afford more than that, with current ammo prices and availability (or lack thereof).

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
My EDC gets wiped down everyday with CLP. I always clean any gun that gets shot immediately after use. My safe queens get it about once every 2 months.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Everytime Without Fail

I clean any gun I shoot within 24 hours of shooting and usually right after. I don't always field strip all of them. I do always field strip the 3 pieces I carry. I also wipe down, check, and lightly oil my 3 CC weapons each week.

·
Registered
158 Posts
always clean 'em as soon as i get home upon exiting the range.

sometimes i have to stop and have a bite to eat or take care of some other errands but once i return home, i clean whatever guns I've shot

i feel like if i maintain my guns, they'll perform optimally...treat em well, they'll treat you well.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
i clean when i get home from shooting.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
After competing for 20+ years, the only time I had problems was with a clean gun (1911s).

We are shooting modern ammo for the most part, smokeless powder, non-corrosive primers with jacketed bullets, I just do not see the need for obsessive cleaning. My GLOCKs get cleaned somewhere between 2500 and 5000 rounds (they are GLOCKs after all), the 1911s at around 1000-1500. And then the 1911s are taken out back and fired 20-30 times, revolvers at around 1000 rounds. I do an exterior wipe down after shoting just to keep my clothes from getting dirty, but not a "cleaning".

Now my old military rifles for witch corrosive ammo is the main stay, they get cleaned while still warm from shooting as do my smoke poles because I like REAL black powder and patched round balls.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
I voted every time. That could be misleading to some because I'll clean almost any of my guns right after I shoot them or within say 24 hours. My Glocks however.......cleaned whenever I get to them. Some of them have made the trip to the range or match twice before I break them down to clean even if it does take just ten or fifteen minutes to do.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I use a air compressor to blow all pocket lint from my carry gun about once a week. I also blow out the holster too, you wouldn't believe how much lint you have in your pockets.

·
Super Moderator
50,583 Posts
When it goes 'bang' it gets cleaned the same evening. If it sits in the safe for more than 6 months, it gets cleaned with the ones that went bang.:yup:

·
Registered
413 Posts
I clean my guns every time I shoot, unless I know im going to shoot the same gun the next day, but if I shoot a lot the first day I will still clean it before I go shooting again on the second day.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After competing for 20+ years, the only time I had problems was with a clean gun (1911s).

We are shooting modern ammo for the most part, smokeless powder, non-corrosive primers with jacketed bullets, I just do not see the need for obsessive cleaning. My GLOCKs get cleaned somewhere between 2500 and 5000 rounds (they are GLOCKs after all), the 1911s at around 1000-1500. And then the 1911s are taken out back and fired 20-30 times, revolvers at around 1000 rounds. I do an exterior wipe down after shoting just to keep my clothes from getting dirty, but not a "cleaning".

Now my old military rifles for witch corrosive ammo is the main stay, they get cleaned while still warm from shooting as do my smoke poles because I like REAL black powder and patched round balls.
Your exactly the kind of person I was looking for in my poll and question. I was reading material by an "ex-spec op" now in a private high profile protection business (not on this forum). He said exactly what you said. The he did not clean his guns until after at least 1000 rounds. Interesting... very interesting... to say the least.

·
Super Moderator
18,098 Posts
I'll bet he cleaned that AR or M16 before it went 1000 rounds. He might get away with it if it uses a gas piston rod but no way in heck would a gas impingment action work for that long.

If he did'nt and his life depended on it, then I sincerely hope it dosent catch up with him.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I clean every time I shoot, with a weekly wipedown reoiling fieldstrip to get the lint and dust from carry out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts