Defensive Carry banner

how often do you clean your guns?

1799 47
i try to at least give them a good wipe and oil after every range visit but i usually only detail clean them once or twice a month if its been a busy month.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
i try to at least give them a good wipe and oil after every range visit but i usually only detail clean them once or twice a month if its been a busy month.
I asked this question awhile back and was surprised to find that if you clean monthly, you are in the minority. Most only clean when they think they need it.
My carry gun gets cleaned every time its fired, and weekly it gets wiped down with an oil cloth. Even the guns in my desk drawer get the weekly wipe down.
And every other year or so the carry gun gets a full detail strip and clean. at that time I look at if I need to replace any parts like springs or firing pin, etc... DR

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I clean after any range time. And here in Florida I need to give the exterior a good wipe down every night when It goes on the nightstand.

Reactions: Wild Onion

·
Registered
14,582 Posts
My carry gun gets cleaned after it gets shot each time. My other guns I wait until I feel like doing it. Maybe every 3-4 range trips.

·
Premium Member
13,946 Posts
Revolvers - not every time. No way! That's like cleaning 7 guns - a revolver has 7 barrels! A wipe down and a dab a oil is fine.

Defender LW 9mm - after every shoot. Check it for oil about every month if I have not shot it. It starts to intermittently fail to feed at about 250 rounds without cleaning or oiling.

Other guns - not after every shoot, especially if it's just a range gun.

My opinion - clean a gun as needed. If you have a gun that is prone to failure if it gets residue and dry, then keep it clean and oiled. On the other hand, if you have a Ruger 10/22 or Mk III that goes on forever, maybe wipe it down and give it a drip of oil now and then.

To me, cleaning guns is a pain in the butt. I don't enjoy it. I used to when I first got into guns. Kind of like washing the new fancy car. It soon becomes a pain after the first couple of times.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I used to clean my pistol after every range trip, but I don't anymore. I usually will go 2-3 range trips before cleaning it (nowadays that is only 200-300 rounds or so.) Usually go to the range 2x a month.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Like others here, I clean my carry gun (Hellcat) after each range outing. This is the gun I am betting my life on, so I tend to be a bit more careful about it. My other stuff, I don't know, whenever I think they need cleaning.

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
Usually after every range trip with most my guns... My AK's once or twice a year 😁 My air rifles maybe once a year (less cleaning is better with air rifles & pistols).

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
My rule if you carry it or it is a life saver or a rare gun clean after shooting ..If you are shooting old /unknow /com block ammo same thing clean as soon as it cools off

Just a plinker , fun gun less worry

Course it varries state to state in the South more cleaning as more salt , water in the air ..In the dry AZ lands less worry other then maybe oiling wood stocks lol

·
Premium Member
9,257 Posts
Other than "knowing they are "lubed in the right spot's", I'm more concerned about my magazines. Of course, "three of the four daily carry", are "mag-feed, striker fire tupperware, ". As other 's mentioned, after range sessions, basically.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
37,077 Posts
The first gun I shoot at the handgun range is my carry gun as carried with the ammo in it plus the spare magazines as carried. I want to know I can trust it as carried.

I clean the guns shot after every range trip. They may set in the safe for weeks, months, or even years after a range trip. Powder residue attracts moisture.

I carry a 1911 for two or three weeks then it gets cleaned if I don't get to the range. Then I select a different 1911 to carry.

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
Revolvers - not every time. No way! That's like cleaning 7 guns - a revolver has 7 barrels! A wipe down and a dab a oil is fine.

Defender LW 9mm - after every shoot. Check it for oil about every month if I have not shot it. It starts to intermittently fail to feed at about 250 rounds without cleaning or oiling.

Other guns - not after every shoot, especially if it's just a range gun.

My opinion - clean a gun as needed. If you have a gun that is prone to failure if it gets residue and dry, then keep it clean and oiled. On the other hand, if you have a Ruger 10/22 or Mk III that goes on forever, maybe wipe it down and give it a drip of oil now and then.

To me, cleaning guns is a pain in the butt. I don't enjoy it. I used to when I first got into guns. Kind of like washing the new fancy car. It soon becomes a pain after the first couple of times.
My 98 Dodge still gets washed and vacuumed out weekly. I like driving a clean truck. I guess I like a clean gun too. I was at the range yesterday, But it was too stinking hot to clean. So first thing this morning they both got cleaned. DR

·
Registered
G19.4 - P365 - TX-22 - G42 and more.
2,786 Posts
After every range trip.
If no range trips in a given week my EDC gets wiped down and oiled weekly.
Exactly what I was going to say. This week I took my SA RO Elite, Glock 19, Ruger LCP Max. As soon as I got home, they each got cleaned & lubed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Each of my guns get a thorough cleaning and lube after every range session. I typically go to the range, either indoor or outdoor, in the morning and clean/lube the guns as soon as possible (usually right after lunch...before I get Hoppe's all over). Is cleaning/lube guns a PITA? Yes. Has the novelty of cleaning/lube guns worn off? Yes. With the exception of my trap guns each one is ready for use if needed and that means being properly cleaned and lubed.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts