Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my Glock 19 4Gen about a month and a half ago and went to the range twice. First time to get accustom to the weapon. Just shot 50 rounds. Yesterday I went to Walmart and got 250 rounds and went to the range.
My question is how often to you go and practice.

It's been 32 years since I handled a weapon so any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
My situation is a little different......

I go to the range a couple times a week, most times for a couple hundred rounds a session. Range is in my backyard, and I reload, last year was a little over 15K in 9mm alone. About 90% of the time I work drills, predominately on steel, but throw in paper to maintain accuracy. Every once in a while I'll grab a revolver and just plink.

Biggest thing I've found is to have a "plan" prior to going. Something you want, or better yet NEED to work on. Since it's my own place, I don't have many limitations IE drawing, rapid fire, movement etc. but I often do have time limitations, so planning a session is important. There are lots of good "limited ammo practice sessions" examples on line such as the "5 and 50":

Basic "5 and 50" Practice Drill To Conserve Ammo and Lower Costs - USA Carry

One of the hard things is to keep practicing what you suck at, VS what you're good at.....

Chuck

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Every 3-4 weeks as life allows. 2-300 rounds.
Dry-fire every 1-2 days doing different drills.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
475 Posts
I try to go once a week. Usually use just one gun--but lately a pistol and rifle--shoot 100-200 rounds usually. Sometimes indoor range, other times outdoor club. Like to mix it up.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Once a week when the weather is good. Once a month when it's below freezing I'll go to Bud's indoor range. The last year or so I've just been shooting one gun, my EDC.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Every two weeks with psitol with aboutb150 to 200 rds. I try to go 1 a month for rifles. 100 rds troughtbmy AR and about 20 rds through myn30-30

·
Premium Member
6,424 Posts
My range is my back yard. I go out and shoot whenever I feel like it, so sometimes I run one mag through one gun, and other times I might spend a whole afternoon with 1/2 dozen guns. I shoot at least a few rounds every week, and usually a couple of boxes or so. Sometimes I'll go through several hundred rounds on a weekend.

One thing I've discovered that I like is to have a 'theme' to a range session. It might be caliber (9mm session, .38/.357 session, .380 session, etc.), or it might be a 'BUG' session with .380's, small 9mm's, and .38 snubs. Another day might be a 'Big Bore' session, for the .44's and .45's, or a dedicated '1911 day'. Of course, a .22 session is always fun!

I just find it more interesting and informative for most or all of the guns I shoot at a sitting to have something in common, be it caliber, purpose, size, or design. YMMV!

·
Registered
6,962 Posts
You will find a lot of very dedicated people on this forum, Who can and do spend a lot of time and ammo on the range. I fit into that category. But you will find that most people spend way less time there. It may be time, money, or even interest that keeps them away. Personally I would spend all my free time out shooting, but its not for everyone. I could not imagine spending that much time out on a Golf course, but some do.

I do lots of hunting and plinking, I shoot a couple of matches a month so that I have like minded people to enjoy it with. I get to the range to meet up with a group of old guys. In this group I am definitely the baby! Most are in their eighties. And there is more bull shot than bull's eyes! But I have seen and shot a lot of old and rare guns because of them.

I also shoot in .22 leagues. a lot of shooting for not a lot of money.

Like Killowatt above I try to have a theme when I go, Sometimes it's to work out some problem, sometimes it's to learn a new skill. My latest thing is with a pistol, I'm practicing to make that first shot count. if I'm drawing from a holster or picking it up from the bench I only put one shot on the target, because that's the one that counts most! Later on I'll make it two shots per target, but for now this is hard enough. DR

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
I go at least once a week. I only shoot my G-19 and 15 rounds of Social Ammo. I only shoot one mag because if I get into a situation where I need to defend my self or others, I will be shooting cold. This way I can improve my Cold Shooting. I also have a G-17 Air Soft that I shoot in my terrace level unfinished basement with multiple targets and varied lighting. Range there is out to 35 feet between barriers and other things in the way.

Practice, practice and practice some more....

·
Registered
269 Posts
I go at least once a week twice is ideal.
I always bring my shield and my M&P9C as those are my 2 main EDC's.
But I also shoot my ruger SR22 and my XDM 3.8C .45 quite a bit as well

usually 50-75 rounds of .22
50 each with my 2 M&P's
and 50 with my .45. If .45 was cheaper I would shoot that one the most as it's easily the most fun to shoot :)

·
Premium Member
5,736 Posts
My wife and I go about 3x per week after work and on the weekends. I sneak one or two more times at the LGS range that Nadine doesn't like.

We shoot a lot.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I was shooting every other week, about 100-150 rounds, pretty regularly until I messed up my shoulder again. Last time I went was 6 weeks ago and it took several days for my shoulder to calm down. I'm doing PT for my bad wing now and hope too get back on my regular schedule by Thanksgiving.

Everyone you meet knows something you don't.
- H. Jackson Brown

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
At least once a week as health allows. Usually run 150 rounds through any 2 of the following: Glock 19, 26 42, DW 1911, Ruger LC9s.

I'm embarrassed to say I have yet to shoot my AR since sighting it in with my EOtech.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Two or three times a week.. I just go out in the back yard most of the time. I do shooting drills with a buddy once every couple weeks at his range behind his gun shop. He's also my CCW instructor.

·
Super Moderator
18,790 Posts
I timed myself once. From my drive way to the range gate took me 3 minutes and 46 seconds.

Despite this I'm lucky to get there once a week lately, and some weeks not even that often.

"One thing I've discovered that I like is to have a 'theme' to a range session."

I like Kilowatt3's thoughts when he states this.

I enjoy having a theme when I have some time to spend shooting.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I probably average once a week. There's a few chunks of National Forest and BLM land not far from town. I don't go to an actual range, unless I am visiting my parents in the concrete jungle where they live.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Never. The last time I went to the range was June 2016. Spent a week there and never fired a round. I wanted to shoot a little but couldn't work it in. I do all my shooting at home. Most of it at 50 yards with a snub nose. Yes it is frustrating. But when you do self defense drills it makes the close range stuff easy.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts