Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night on my way home from work I had to pick up a pizza for dinner. As I pulled up, I realized that I did not call ahead. So I decided to lock up the gun in a nano-vault 200 and have a beer while I wait for my Pizza. I will stop into a place and have a beer with dinner or friends once or twice a week. In MI, 0.01 is the legal limit if you are going to carry... which for most people is less than a beer.

Every Sunday morning and several Saturday's a month I have to lock up the gun to go into church for Mass or bible study. I also love hockey and I know that I can not carry into the local arena here... but I am still going to go.

However, most of the other pistol free zones I avoid. It will get interesting this fall when my oldest starts preschool since I can carry in the car while picking him up, but I cannot carry into the school.

What about you. Do frequently leave your gun at home or in a lock box because you are go to a PFZ or into a no-no scenario?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
If I know my activities will take me to a GFZ then I just leave my gun at home. This is rare, however, as the only GFZs I regularly enter are work or the post office and they are generally the only place I will go to on that trip or close enough to my home I can just return for my gun.

While armed, I will avoid a GFZ. I am not comfortable leaving my firearm anywhere other than on my hip or in the safe.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I can't carry while at work so my pistol is locked up in a lockbox in my truck almost everyday. Have thought about just leaving it at home, but I would hate for something to go down on the way to or from work and not have it. I know the odds are very very low but someone has to make up the statistics right?

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...my three sons' graduations, jury duty, posted hospitals, and paying the water bill in person monthly...the office is shared with the courts...that's it...and for the water bill, I leave them in the car...it's also the police station...so far, it's been fine...
Last night on my way home from work I had to pick up a pizza for dinner. As I pulled up, I realized that I did not call ahead. So I decided to lock up the gun in a nano-vault 200 and have a beer while I wait for my Pizza. I will stop into a place and have a beer with dinner or friends once or twice a week. In MI, 0.01 is the legal limit if you are going to carry... which for most people is less than a beer.

Every Sunday morning and several Saturday's a month I have to lock up the gun to go into church for Mass or bible study. I also love hockey and I know that I can not carry into the local arena here... but I am still going to go.

However, most of the other pistol free zones I avoid. It will get interesting this fall when my oldest starts preschool since I can carry in the car while picking him up, but I cannot carry into the school.

What about you. Do frequently leave your gun at home or in a lock box because you are go to a PFZ or into a no-no scenario?

·
Registered
632 Posts
i carry when its legal, if its not legal i carry what it, i.e. knife, dirty underwear, offensive pictures of squirrles battleing in little suits of armor.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Actaully MJ if you have a CPL in Michigan you can OC in a school. Little know and hushed up fact. You may receive some unwanted attention but it's legal.

Myself if I know I am going out to have a drink the EDC doesn't come out of house. Going to work its the same since we can't have firearms on the property. Otherwise I have mine with me even if I am going to a PFZ. I will lock it in the vehicle while I am in the PFZ and rearm upon my return.

·
Banned
1,029 Posts
I go in a place sometimes where you can't carry,it's not often.We go in places that serves alcohol,to eat once in a while,so i leave mine in the car.

I went into a whole lot of places before i was old enough to get my CCP,and i survived obviously.I don't make it a habit.It's not that big of a deal to me.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Yes...gun in lock box to enter GFZ's when necessary or I just want to visit that establishment. As the other poster stated...no big deal for me...however...I still would not consume booze while I have my weapon even if locked in the box in the vehicle. The law here is ambiguous enough that LEO if wanted to could make an issue of it....Here, if you have a CCL and you have your weapon in the vehicle no matter where it is you could still be considered carrying....and with booze breath may not be a good idea. Not to say that an officer would make an issue of it if it is locked up.....but could......

·
Registered
892 Posts
I always leave my gun at home.

·
Registered
251 Posts
More often than I would like.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
I'm in Michigan too and honestly I don't really let GFZ's bother me. If I have to go there I lock my gun up and go. Even without a gun I've survived almost 40 years. Now that I'm carrying I just look at it as upping my odds.

What I will NOT do is go into a gun free establishment is shadier sides of town like Detroit, Southfield or Pontiac. I'd rather avoid GFZ's there because the likelihood of getting trouble in those neighborhoods is a lot higher.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Occasionally, but only after I assess the situation I am stepping into and determine the chances are slim to none that I will need it.

Of course, it only takes one time of guessing wrong and you might be toast.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Actaully MJ if you have a CPL in Michigan you can OC in a school. Little know and hushed up fact. You may receive some unwanted attention but it's legal.

Myself if I know I am going out to have a drink the EDC doesn't come out of house. Going to work its the same since we can't have firearms on the property. Otherwise I have mine with me even if I am going to a PFZ. I will lock it in the vehicle while I am in the PFZ and rearm upon my return.
In Michigan if you have a CPL you can literally open carry ANYWHERE (registered handguns only). But you have to be on top of your game because most of the uninitiated will probably call cops on you or take issue with openly visible pistols in schools, churches, post offices and etc. the hassle is a bit too much and I'm not an OC fan.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Occasionally, but only after I assess the situation I am stepping into and determine the chances are slim to none that I will need it.

Of course, it only takes one time of guessing wrong and you might be toast.
After all that careful planning and something still happens, then the good lord is calling.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I can't carry at work and can't lock it in my car. I work in a Federal Building and park in the basement, which is still Federal property. So, I rarely have it during the week before 6 pm. If I go anywhere after that or on weekends, I have it. I have locked it in the car to go to a movie with my grandson, but other than that have never had to.

I did go to the Post Office yesterday and didn't carry but it was just there and back home.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
In Michigan if you have a CPL you can literally open carry ANYWHERE (registered handguns only). But you have to be on top of your game because most of the uninitiated will probably call cops on you or take issue with openly visible pistols in schools, churches, post offices and etc. the hassle is a bit too much and I'm not an OC fan.
Post office is a federal no no. Even with a CPL and OCing you will go to jail.

To the OP, I carry everywhere I am legal to do so. If it must sit in the lock box in the car, so be it. I am the weapon, my gun is just one of my tools....

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
I always leave my gun at home.
What gun? You mean there are people out there carrying guns????????

Oh my! How can a self respecting thief ply his/her trade?

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Since signs banning firearms has the force of law in WI & it's a felony if caught I avoid those places. I can't avoid them I lock the firearm in a lock box in my trunk a block before I get to the property. So far it's just the doctor's office located in a clinic that I can't avoid. It's also a felony to have a firearm on school property. Church is another place I can't carry because it's attached to the school. For a bunch of years I took my grandson to that school. It was just the last couple of years WI finally got a concealed carry law so I didn't carry until I came up with the idea to drop him off in front of school on a city street. He starts high school in a few weeks & will get a ride from a friend so no worries about carrying for me anymore.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts