Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends I will admit I don't shoot nearly enough as I should. Specifically, the last time I shot was maybe 5 months ago, and I took a friend who had never shot. However, I do dry fire some times and ensure the gun is empty, empty and manipulate my 1911.

Thus, how many people dry fire and what is your frequency of overall range practice ? And now that my son is due to be born in June, man who know's when I will get out to the range. I guess my problem is that the closest range is 1 hour away.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I'll admit that Saturday was my first time back on the range in about three months. Things have been so hectic I just couldn't make time. I do draw and dry fire every couple of weeks.

I've made a commitment to get back to the range at least once or twice a month.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I go to the range once a week (ok, I did miss 2 weeks so far this year) but I'm a newbie with handguns having just started this year so I have an excuse.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Wish it could be more often. However we do have a new range about to open about 5 miles from my house. So I will be able to go a lot more when it is finished.
Mike

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Winter is never good for regular range practice but now warmer i should get back to more regular visits.

I like to go weekly at least and have no excuse re distance as one range (basic) is 8 miles and another only 5 - plus a longer haul to one other for IDPA.

Dry fire type drills are pretty regular in the office - probably sometime most days.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I try to get some shooting in every other week, at least. There's an indoor range 10 minutes from the house, but I prefer to shoot outdoors if the weather allows. It's a 45 minute drive, but I don't care for the target and rate of fire restrictions that the indoor range requires. Don't get me wrong, it's their range, and I'll obey their rules when shooting there... but I enjoy shooting at steel spinner targets, golf balls, potatoes, ritz crackers, etc. much more than shooting at paper targets. They'd frown on that at the indoor range :)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
We have an outdoor range about 30 minutes from the house....luckily.
I get to shoot twice a week.

·
Banned
318 Posts
I go once a week if I can. But, the public range in the wildlife management area I go to is closed due to a Spring turkey season.

That makes it harder as it's either as a guest at one gunclub or up a logging type road to a private range on a friend's property.

But once May 5th rolls around it's back to weekly shooting.:danceban:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Several months ago I tried a little shooting in the Barn, when the snow was knee high:nono: the cows didn't like it :mad: took me 2hrs to round them up after they went through the door W/O opening.
:redface:

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Slider said:
Several months ago I tried a little shooting in the Barn, when the snow was knee high:nono: the cows didn't like it :mad: took me 2hrs to round them up after they went through the door W/O opening.
:redface:
I would let'em run. Must be nice to be able to shoot on your property. I would shoot all the time if possible. :yup:

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
Normally, every Friday.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm lucky enough to live a few blocks from a nice indoor range, so I go once a week or more. I usually fire 50-100 rounds of .45 and a few hundred rounds of .22, plus whatever else I feel like bringing along. Once I get a press set up those round counts are going to go through the roof (I can't wait!).

·
Registered
376 Posts
I can shoot on our property, Dad's property, friends property, etc. So pretty much at least once a week - usually more. Dry fire/draw practice is usually every night - or at least every other night. Even if it is just 3-5 times. Dry fire practice at the TV is fun.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
ssssthesnake said:
like to dry fire at the tv to funny who you find your self clicking away at lol
Didn't Elvis Presley ruin a couple of TV sets that way???????

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I didn't shoot at all from the end of September until December while I was laid up with the broken leg. Although I joked about shooting on crutches, I didn't actually attempt it but twice - once because I was stubborn and once because I was stupid (or maybe it was the other way around). I'm back to shooting at the range at least once every two weeks, whenever possible, and do dry fire, tap/rack, and mag exchange drills a little most evenings.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I shoot(the norm)3 times a week. Once or twice a month I train with "the guys" and we shoot an extra 250(or so) rds. Some months I am gone on a RO4N and I miss out, but usually will shoot 500-600rds. per month. This is pistol.

"The guys" and I have a carbine match or a sniper match every so often and that gives me another 50-75+ rds.

Being truly retired I have all the time needed to train. Shoot-reload-shoot-reload-shoot-reload,is it for me. I stick hunting in there every so often. There will be more of that now that I'm gettin' fairly senior. ---------

1 - 20 of 35 Posts