Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally I hadn't seen any on store shelves for years until a week ago. Thousands of rounds of Remington Golden Bullet. Went back today to pick some of that up (was buying 9mm ammo last week), and they still had quite a bit of it. I was very surprised. They had, of course, sold the 500 round bricks that they had, but I picked up three 100 round boxes, plus a box of Remington 124 gr FMJ practice ammo. They still had a lot of it. Can you guys just walk into the store and find scores like that? I remember not long ago when people were lined up when the shipment of .22LR got to the store.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Sure, just not at Walmart. I can go the gun stores and buy 22lr. At a decent price, just not as cheap as ten years ago. I have six grandkids. 22 can go pretty fast at my house. I don't buy any semi autos, bullets go to quick.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Saw a good bit of it at two locations today. WalMart had CCI Stingers, Standard, and even a good bit of CCI shorts. Cabelas in Louisville had at least 20 different varieties, from shot shells up to top end match grade ammo. At least 30K rounds on the shelf.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I make the rounds to a few Walmarts in the area regularly for perfecta to use at the range and haven't seen any, the 22lr shelf is usually bare. Readily available everywhere else though.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
I'm starting to see 22's on the shelf but not any selection of them. I look for several different kinds that shoot well in different guns. I'll know the shortage is over when there are several brands on every shelf. DR

·
Super Moderator
19,389 Posts
I've rarely seen .22 LR on store shelves for years. A couple of the local gun shops have some of the Aguila subsonic and other, non-mainstream brands, but that's about it. For probably 4 years now I've resorted to buying my rimfire ammo on line.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
There has been no reasonably priced bulk ammo in my town since Sandy Hook. I can shoot my cast bullets reloads for the same price as .22...so I no longer even look for it and I will not be buying anymore rimfire guns, unless there is a drastic change in the ammo situation, which I don't expect.

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Academy and LGS have it here pretty much all the time. OTOH, Walmart has it in spurts with very little selection. .22 mag is also like a unicorn here and .17 hmr is always available.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Academy here has tons of it. LR, short, some magnum and even the primer only rounds sorry dont know the actual designation of that round, Aguila makes it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't find any CCI. The Remingtons I got today at the local Dunham's were the only kind they had. Maybe 2000-3000 rounds of the Golden Bullets, which I don't mind because my Marlin likes and shoots them just fine. Price wasn't AWFUL at $10.99 per 100, but at this point I'll take what I can get. I remember online stores offering Federal mini-bricks of 325 for north of $60.

·
Registered
713 Posts
My LGS has stacks and stacks of Remington, Aguila and CCI.

I picked up a 5-pack of 100s of CCI mini-mag last month and two weeks ago I picked up a 500 brick of Aguila. Today I was in the LGS buying some .380 SD, and saw they still have stacks of all three brands.

I have recently purchased three different 22LR plinkers and most of my shooting recently has been with them. I am thankful to see the shelves stocked here.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Brother, I live down here in the South.. we have ALL the 22LR and most of the cornmeal made on the Planet.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Between Cabala's, Bass Pro, Wally World, and the various local stores, there's not a 'shortage'.... but you get what you get. Got some CCI's at the bigBox store and a brick of Win 333's at cabalas earlier this week. between the young'uns and my 'happy' trigger finger.....those won't last long.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am grateful to find .22LR at all at this point, but would prefer CCI if I had the option. Unfortunately I don't. I either take what I can find here, or overpay online.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Most of the LGS have a good supply of .22lr. Occasionally I get lucky at Wally World. Field and Stream usually has them. Last resort is online. Have a bolt action .22 so it doesn't chew up ammo like a semi-auto. :smile:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Around Chicagoland, I would not call it scarce, but still a bit pricey.

·
Premium Member
6,193 Posts
It's finally coming back around here, but at obscene prices. Lucky to find .22LR for $.08 a round; $.10 is more common.

I've still got some 'old stash' that I paid under $.02 a round for, and it's painful to replace! :blink:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
.22 ebbs and flows here. 9mm is beginning to be in short supply again though.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The Wal-Mart near my office never seems to have any. I'm in there every week or so and check. I have 7 Wal-Marts within 25 miles of my house. It is possible one of them has .22 on the shelf. I think the Dick's, Gander Mountain, and Academy Sports have it on the shelf. I'm sure I could find it, plenty of pawn shops sell ammunition. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts