Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading in a recent thread about carrying extra magazines, some have said that they leave an extra mag or extra box in the car. Here in AZ, a 114 air temp in the shade day is not that rare in the summer and the interior of a locked car can be quite a bit warmer.

So, my question is: How hot is too hot for ammo in the console? Blowing up a cartridge is not the same as blowing up an unopened can of Coke (yep, done that...)

Is this a real risk ?

·
Banned
13,684 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Electricity

Has there ever been a case anyones heard of where someones discharged a round from electric shock, something that might occur when welding or doing electrical work? Granted, it would have to be a weird series of events to happen. But say your welding, you lean on the table and the gun makes a ground and the electrode in your hand makes contact with said hand?

I have never heard of this but this seems as appropriate a place to ask just cuz.

Alex!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
You have to remember that being inside the console actually shields the ammo from direct sunlight and may be a few degrees cooler than the vehicle interior. Long term temps like that might degrade ammo however.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I wielded my mothers mufler on her truck with gun & spare mag ;

·
Registered
363 Posts
No problem with the heat here in Alabama. Not as hot as AZ, but still pretty warm. You should not have a problem.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Not a problem!

If you think about it, when the ammo is shipped, it is in a hot box van for God only know how long and it is not in a controled climate. So when you buy new ammo, it is very likely it has already been subjected to that kind of heat!

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
No way a round is going to explode due to heat inside a vehicle unless it's on fire that is.:hand5:

I try to keep my ammo supply in as cool and dry of a place as possible. My office closet is where I store it for safe keeping. Just makes good practice to store it as instructed, so it will keep.

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I welded my mothers muffler on her truck with gun & spare mag ;
Wouldn't welding rods have worked better???:confused::rofl::rofl:
Sorry couldn't resist the temptation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is a good and legitimate question. I asked it on another forum some time ago. If you're using good quality factory ammo then it should be very stable. Ammo will not explode if left out in the sun or in a hot car. Think of soldiers in the desert and all that ammo sitting in the hot sun and stored in vehicles. For a round to "cook off" it has to get VERY hot like in an oven or if thrown into a fire. I had a firearms instructor tell me that when they went to the beach in July in South Carolina. They left ammo and firearms in the car trunk with no problems. For long term storage ammo should be kept in a cool, dry place.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
This is a good and legitimate question. I asked it on another forum some time ago. If you're using good quality factory ammo then it should be very stable. Ammo will not explode if left out in the sun or in a hot car. Think of soldiers in the desert and all that ammo sitting in the hot sun and stored in vehicles. For a round to "cook off" it has to get VERY hot like in an oven or if thrown into a fire. I had a firearms instructor tell me that when they went to the beach in July in South Carolina. They left ammo and firearms in the car trunk with no problems. For long term storage ammo should be kept in a cool, dry place.
I was thinking the very same thing, whatever the temp in Az. I can't be hotter than Iraq.

·
Registered
823 Posts

Sorry, didn't mean to make lite of the question. The mythbusters episode was actually a good show. Maybe you could find it on their website.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You have to remember that being inside the console actually shields the ammo from direct sunlight and may be a few degrees cooler than the vehicle interior. Long term temps like that might degrade ammo however.
That brings up another question - the one that I though this thread was about:

How stable, for the long term, is ammo? Assuming it is stored properly (in a cool dry place, right?), how long can you expect it to be good for? a year? 10 years? 20? 50?

·
Registered
304 Posts
That brings up another question - the one that I though this thread was about:

How stable, for the long term, is ammo? Assuming it is stored properly (in a cool dry place, right?), how long can you expect it to be good for? a year? 10 years? 20? 50?
100+ years with no problem. It will outlast you.

EDIT: case in point, I am still shooting up 1909 dated 303 Brit that has been stored in a separated, non-heated, poorly insulated garage for 20+ years. Who knows where it was stored before that. It is accurate enough, no hangfire, etc...no problems. Granted that is cordite, but the 1940's 45 ACP still works great as well. Haven't gotten a new batch of that for a few years though, hoarding what I have left as a curiosity.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts