Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I can't carry my gun,I put it in my lockbox under my seat, but in st Louis, we have been having a lot of car break ins and people looking for guns. If my car were to be broken into, how easy would it be to get my gun?
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
With a right angle grinder it would take about 3 minutes, and that's if I had to change the blade.

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Medium sized bolt cutters about 10 seconds. Either cut open or cut cord and remove. Grinders need a power source, bolt cutters just arm strong.

Reactions: 9MMare

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
Battery operated grinders now days. They work great, I have two.

Reactions: blitzburgh

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
And if I was stealing your lock box I wouldn't cut it open in the parking lot.

It would go home with me and then I could use the corded or cordless grinder of my choice.

Reactions: blitzburgh

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
Most car break ins during the day are a crime of opportunity. They smash a window and grab what they can readily get, then flee. A lock box will protect against that.

Someone who has the time and tools with him can defeat most any type of storage container, short of a bolted down safe.

Reactions: stylus

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
When I can't carry my gun,I put it in my lockbox under my seat, but in st Louis, we have been having a lot of car break ins and people looking for guns. If my car were to be broken into, how easy would it be to get my gun?
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
The average "lock box" can be pried open with a stout screwdriver or crowbar. The gauge of steel in many of them just isn't up to the challenge of withstanding much. Bolt cutters, though, could make short work of the cable holding the box to the car, and then it could be taken to be dealt with elsewhere. That's how I'd do it, if I were looking to take "bolted down" items from inside a vehicle. No real need to fumble about at the scene. Just a couple of "snips" and it's gone.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If they really wanted what was in the vehicle, they would take the whole vehicle. Its a lot easier than people think. I had a friend in England who 'by request' would get you any car, any colour, within the week.

Sara Lou

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
If they really wanted what was in the vehicle, they would take the whole vehicle. Its a lot easier than people think. I had a friend in England who 'by request' would get you any car, any colour, within the week.
Yup. Locks are a salve to the conscience. By themselves, they don't keep out much. So is 16-18ga steel and flimsy hinges.

·
Registered
11,497 Posts
They'll keep children and petty thieves out but if someone wants your gun, they're going to take it.
^^^this is correct^^^

Lock boxes are like locks on a door, they keep honest people honest and they may or may not deter a criminal only because they might not was to be there long enough to get into it or get it loose.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts
When I must keep the gun in the car (which is not very often), I have always used a Center of Mass Safe. It's thin enough to enable a well-hidden place in either a truck or car...out of sight, out of mind...if you don't see it, you can't take it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well personally, I wouldn't leave the lockbox in a visible or 'usual' place. If they want my lockbox they're gonna have to look for it and I doubt that they're gonna stick around to toss the entire vehicle.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Let's face it. How many modern day vehicles allow us to bolt the lockbox directly to the vehicle frame? Not any, in my humble opinion. Bolt to the body, floor, or seat frame, but would take a very long bolt to bolt it to the frame.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
My understanding of the technique used by the St. Louis thieves is that they smashed the window out of the car reached under the seat and if there is a gun there they grab and carry it away. If there isn't a gun under the seat or if it isn't easily grabbed they go to the next car and smashed the window out and reached under the seat and check to see if there is a gun there.

In that case a lockbox counts as no gun to grab. Why bring an angle grinder or bolt cutters when you can simply walk to the next car in the line and smash the window now?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Somebody just stole an estimated (unconfirmed) $50 mil in diamonds in France. In the grand scheme of things, a lock box is very easy to get into, but so are most cars, and so are most houses.

I think keeping a gun out of sight in a lockbox is practical in some circumstances and is a reasonable safety precaution. I believe I am in the minority in that regard on this site. I fail to see why.

·
Banned
83 Posts
I've got a center of mass safe too but the only time I leave my gun in my vehicle is when I'm working, in a somewhat secure parking lot that in 1 year I've seen 1 stranger in, she was looking for another business. I've thought about bolting it to the frame but I can't find a place where it would be bolted and I would be able to get to it from the driver seat.

Other than in between the seats, in plain view. Don't want to do that. Actually just been putting it in the glove box so I have easier access to it while driving to work, being lazy.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts