Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've properly introduced myself, on to my most pressing question: How do I CC a revolver?

My duty weapon is an M9, but in "real life" I much prefer .357 revolvers... right now I have a 4" Speed-Six. I plan to pick up one or two of those Canadian trade-in GP-100 DAO's floating around for my truck and the house, and an SP-101, J-frame or similar for "deep" carry.

My main question really is "How do you CC a speed-loader?"

My main carry method will probably be a SmartCarry, but even that doesn't seem like it would handle a speed loader full of .357 very well.

Advice? Comments? Should I just suck it up and get something like a S&W 669 or CS9?

I plan to pay for some local CCW/ tactical-type classes so I'll get lots of training on whatever I decide to carry.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Speed Strips with pratice you will be just as fast as with a speed loader...

Thing about spped strip is they carry nice and flat in a pocket so they add no bulk There wasa thread before here on how to use speed strips serach it out and see if this is for you .

Other wise unless you carry a Speedloader pouch on your belt i reallt dont see a what to carry them except in cold weather when they can go in your Coat pocket

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
The Safariland speedloader pouch carries about as flat as a double stack auto mag. Bud's right about the Bianchi speedstrips though. They carry very flat, and you can carry twice as many as the speedloaders. If you're going to carry a 4" revolver, I don't think the issues of hiding speedloaders is a big deal. I'd be more concerned with the CC placement of the wheelie gun.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Id throw a couple extra speed loaders in my pocket......weak side.
Shoot well

·
Registered
145 Posts
No, no, no! Do not give in to the autoloaders! :) Wheelguns are great for civilian/off-duty defensive purposes.

Speed strips are easy to carry anywhere because they are flat. The Desantis Second Six mentioned above splits the bulk of the loader on each side of the belt, which is nice -- but you do need a cover garment.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Much is down IMO to cover garment - this is why I extol often the virtues of (for me) the Smith & Alexander vest. In winter of course heavier shirt takes over.

I used to carry SP-101 and even at times M28 4" - no probs with right and suitable rig - OWB for me.

Speedloaders - well I happen to prefer these to speed strips - that's just me - I like the Safariland Comp 1 or 2 - Comp 1 being the smallest for pocket carry tho Comp 2 is a tad speedier to use I think.. One or two loose in left side pocket usually worked.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Carry speed loaders strong side, unless you are a lefty and use right hand to speed load.

No belt SL carrier is as thin as a mag, even the split design, close but not as smooth.

I sometimes carry three revolvers--matter of how you dress. Normally one N, L, and J Smiths.

Would rather another gun than reload.

·
Registered
998 Posts
When I carry either of my model 13 S&Ws, I carry a Safariland comp3 loader in a Safariland metal speedloader carrier. It works very well. I usually have a few speedstrips as well that I can use to reload the 642 BUG or the 13.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I'll dig out a few of my speedloaders, along with my Carriers.. send a few pix of em. Personally, I've carred the combo of speed-loaders and speed strips. 2 loaders and 3-4 speed strips, but that's just me, being me LOL

·
Registered
950 Posts
My always carry is SW model 37 +P I carry it owb in fobus using a garrison belt from Army Navy. I carry one or two speed strips (rubber banded together if two) on my left side. P.S. I take it you live off post because when I was in we had to leave all personal weapons in the armory and it was nothing to pick up your pistol if you were lucky enough to live near your home say 6 to 8 hours away and I did toward the end of my tour. Anyway you would find it dirty because it had been fired. This was common knowledge on the base so I never bought a pistol while in. I squared myself away when I completed my tour. My 2cents. PS and forget about carrying on base concealed or other wise unless Uncle Sam issued to you that day. I think that is so ironic. huh... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for everyone's advice. I'll get a speed-strip or two, practice a bit, nd see how I like them.

Blue: I live off-base, but even troops in post housing can have POWs in their quarters, just not in the barracks. One of my troops has a VERY NICE Ruger .40, forget exactly which. It's a bit of a hassle coming on-base armed- tho not impossible, but I spend more time off these days anyway.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I carry a SW 642 as a BUG and took some training on loading it quickly and that greatly increased my speed using a speedstrip. Since it is usually on my ankle I don't normally carry extra rounds for it. I do however, carry an XD9 with 10 rounds in the clip and an extra clip if I am wearing the right clothes. That gives me 15 to 25 rounds. God I hope that is enough. If it's not, some serious s*** has gone down and you will find me running the other way.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I carry both my 3” SP101 and 642 in a smartcarry holster. I like to wear the holster a little higher than conventional so the butt of my gun is just below my belt (shirt tucked) or just above my belt (shirttail out). The extra pocket on your smartcarry will carry speedloaders ok but I switched to speed strips because they lay flatter.

livin in the woods.... feelin mighty good.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I am biased Bud cos I don't like IWB - but I find it hard to imagine a comfortable set-up when you have the cylinder bulge! My K&D rig for SP-101 - have posted pics before - is a hi-ride belt slide and holds gun right tight in to me - just as well IMO as any IWB could and the ''concealability quotient'' is probably only marginally less effective.

That said - I am sure K-Man could give his opinion, as to possibility of making something to suit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts