Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it 'ok' to carry a gun around by the trigger guard, with one finger? seen at range today, didn't think it looked right, thought I'd ask you experts.
ie Stick out your index finger. shove the gun on your finger, using the trigger guard as an eyelet. let it hang there while you carry things back to your table.

Seems to violate one of our rules.....in an unusual way.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
is it 'ok' to carry a gun around by the trigger guard, with one finger? seen at range today, didn't think it looked right, thought I'd ask you experts.
ie Stick out your index finger. shove the gun on your finger, using the trigger guard as an eyelet. let it hang there while you carry things back to your table.

Seems to violate one of our rules.....in an unusual way.
The short answer is nope. Keep your fingers away from the trigger unless your ready to shoot.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess it breaks two rules, muzzle direction awareness too.
Thanks
I usually have it holstered, but when I have to carry it among people, it is unloaded and I point it down to the ground at my side with my t. finger straight out. Sound acceptable or is there a better way?

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
That's what they make pistol cases with carry handles for!

If you can't carry it on your person in a holster, and you have an arm full of stuff for the range, put it in a pistol case and carry it properly!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Some ranges mandate pointing weapons muzzle-up when carrying them, and most handguns would tend to hang more-or-less muzzle-up that way, but whether the range has a rule about fingers inside trigger guards or not, it is simply unwise to stick your finger in there unless shooting is one's imminent intention.

I have met older shooters who believe that it is OK to have the finger inside the trigger guard, if the finger is pressing against the inside of the front portion of the trigger guard. While this may be safe enough most of the time, I am concerned about sympathetic muscle contraction and other such events that, while rare, have caused folks to unintentionally discharge firearms.

·
Registered
939 Posts
People like that are a reason to pack it up early and get out alive.

·
Administrator
143,595 Posts
Well, with a revolver if you have the cylinder cracked open and the chambers are empty then carry it that way or however else you want to carry it. Technically....it's safe.
Actually & thinking about it if you want to carry a revolver that way & the cylinder is cracked open then you can safely carry it that way with a finger in the trigger guard but, you're probably going to be dropping cartridges on the ground. That is quite dumb. :biggrin2:

Either way...it's really kinda dumb. Technically it's safe (as is any wheelgun with the cylinder open) but, totally unnecessary.

With a semi-auto if the magazine is out and the slide is locked back and you have verified an empty barrel chamber then technically it can safely be carried balanced on top of your head if that is how you want to transport it.

I'll stick with proper firearm handling procedure.
Doing that has kept me safe (as well as the innocent folks around me) viable, breathing and alive for many years.
So I'll stay with what I have learned from early on until today.

What is technically possible to do and what are good, time tested and "proved safe" firearm handling methods/habits to mentally ingrain and always practice are two entirely different things.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Finger out of the trigger guard unless firing, end of story. I don't care what you're carrying or where you are or what level of experience you have.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Finger out of the trigger guard unless firing, end of story. I don't care what you're carrying or where you are or what level of experience you have.
:yup:, just try that at the range I normally shoot at, and the RSO will be telling you in no uncertain terms that any firearms on the range must be pointed downrange, in a holster or in a gun case, that is if I don't tell you first

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Exactly, what was the RO doing while this was going on?

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts
Always follow the rules...always!
Carrying a firearm by the trigger guard is dangerous, a bad example, and a bad habit...don't do it. OMOYMV

·
Registered
366 Posts
:yup:, just try that at the range I normally shoot at, and the RSO will be telling you in no uncertain terms that any firearms on the range must be pointed downrange, in a holster or in a gun case, that is if I don't tell you first
Ditto....Its either in a case, or pointed down range...No grey area! just the way I like it!:wink:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts