Defensive Carry banner

How to check before carry if can't get to range

3K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  cmdrdredd 
#1 ·
Of course this isn't my desired way to test /check a new gun before carry - but if circumstances dictate not being able to get to the range and nothing else to carry in the mean time - might want to consider the following:
====================================
I thought of a way to check firing - without actually firing.

I found some .45 ACP snap caps (fake practice bullets) that I had forgotten about.

Put a small piece of electrical tape on back of them - loaded mag with them - chambered first one & fired - of course had to manually rack slide each time to chamber next round but that wasn't a problem.

When done - looked at back of each round and saw a very distinct indention in each piece of tape - showing that the firing pin did it's job.

Now I'm sure it'll fire if need be - before actually being able to take to range.

Even so - still anxious to get to the range as soon as able.

#2 ·
You're fairly sure it will fire at least the FIRST round. After that it's a crap shoot. Maybe it will cycle, maybe not. May misfeed may double feed won't know for sure. If you're betting your life you need some real range time.

#10 ·
I agree 100% with you and Biker. Plus where is that bullet going? Would have a hard time dealing with shooting an innocent from being too lazy and negligent to make sure the weapon was sighted in and shooting to POI. This really holds true with a used weapon IMO.

I now carry nothing but my 2.5" 19-4 with a 36 as my spare mag/BUG. Went back to my roots and have complete confidence in both revolvers

#8 ·
That is how i would test it,I knew a guy pawned his colt commander 45 when he got it back he was carrying it and about 2 weeks later went to the range,first shot was a click,no fire pin hit,he disassembled his gun and apparently somebody else at the pawn shop had disassembled it and put the series 80 firing pin block in backwards,the pencil test would have shown a problem immediately,thank god he didn't need it during that time

#7 ·
The odds are greatly in your favor that, (A) It will fire (B) You won't need it anyway. Let's be realistic.
That said, it behooves you to get to the range and test it out as soon as you can because anything can happen, and you only have to lose once. Consider the odds against winning the lottery, yet there are people who have won more than once.
At least you know that you'll get one shot off (assuming good ammo). Your idea for the test was a good one. I give you an "A" for creativity !

#9 ·
I don't trust a new gun until it has, in the case of an autoloader, put 500 - 1,000 rounds downrange with the last 200 being my carry load. For revolvers I'm a little more lax. I'll settle for 100 range loads and 50 of my carry load.

In short, I refuse to carry a gun that hasn't proven itself and I'm fortunate that I don't have to, as I keep a few "spare" guns in case something happens to the "primary". Also, after I have a gun worked on it has to prove itself at the Range before being carried. I have discovered problems with guns after a 'smith has worked on them. This is not a condemnation of Gunsmiths, just a statement of fact.

For example, one 'smith reduced the Trigger return spring weight, and cut a couple of coils off the Mainspring. This gave me a failure to fire at the range at intermittent times. I took the gun back to him and explained the problem. We solved it by him replacing the Trigger return Spring with the original he had taken out, and putting in a new Mainspring.

If I had carried that gun without testing it first, I may have heard a "click" when I needed to hear a BANG. The loudest sound in the world is a "click" when you expect to hear a bang.

Biker

#12 ·
While a gun that's never been fired, is better than being unarmed (but it could be the same thing), I'm a firm believer in 'testing' my tools prior to 'needing' to use them.
I can think of few reasons not to have tried a new 'tool'.OMOYMV

#13 ·
ArmyCop is making a point that at the very least folks should check to make certain that the semi-auto hand cycles and that there is an operational primer strike.

Using the same argument that some of you folks have been making...you would need to remove the bullet and open up or carefully weigh every simgle cartridge to make absolutely certain that there is propellent in there because every single cartridge in the box is a technical crapshoot.

#14 ·
Sorta like taking a lug wrench to EVERY wheel of your car EACH time you take a drive...to be sure they don't fall off..
We all do that..right..?!:blink:
Levity aside...I agree ANY weapon you are staking your life on SHOULD be thoroughly tested for reliability (and, with firearms....accuracy) BEFORE you carry....that means test-firing with the EXACT load you'll be using for SD.....
Just one guy's opinion.....

#16 ·
I think this is a great way to check it at the bare minimum level. I understand that your not saying this is a replacement for going to the range. I think it's a great idea and also the pencil one is too. Thanks for the idea.

#18 ·
I took the original posters thread to mean what would you do to make sure a gun you just cleaned etc.will fire once it's reassembled,I would never carry a gun that had been worked on and mechanically altered,or Brand new out of the box without firing at a range

#20 ·
Playing The Devil's Advocate Here.

Here Is The Scenario:

A woman that you work with is married to an extremely abusive man.
He has been drinking & also doing drugs (mostly Crack) and has been violent & physically abusive to her on a few past occasions.

The marriage has gone completely downhill - recently from bad to LOTS worse and she has no choice but, to file for a divorce and get out and away from the relationship.

He is a "control freak" & does not take that news very well (at all) and threatens to kill her and their baby.

She decides that she really needs to somehow be able to protect herself and the child and so she goes to the gun shop and buys a firearm.

The clerk in the gun store is decently "gun savvy" and "clues her in" on basic firearm safety and shows her how to load the magazine and operate the safety...etc.

She is a very responsible female and has every intention of doing things the right way and while she is in the gun shop...she signs up for NRA classes/instruction and "range time" that will begin in two weeks.

So....she basically knows how to "work the gun" but, has never actually fired it.

In the meantime she has filed a "Protection From Abuse" order against her crazed hubby...hoping that will keep him from stalking and harassing her. Which he has been doing.

She is sitting in her vehicle in the driveway after just having strapped her baby into the child seat and judiciously locked her car doors when her "spazzed out" hubby (who just got served with the PFA Order)...and went totally ballistic over it...shows up blocking her in her driveway...and then smashes in her drivers side window with a baseball bat while screaming that he is now going to make good on his promise to kill her and HIS baby.

OK...Now The Big Question...Should she have left the gun in the house and well hidden in the closet because she has not put 500 rounds through it yet...and (for sure) she does not know if it is hitting two inches low and to the left at 25 yards?

Or would she be better off if she had it with her?

#21 ·
Here's a slightly different twist - don't limit your paranoia to the gun and ammo.

Long time ago I bought a pre-ban standard capacity magazine to augment my 10 rounders for a H&K USP 40. As far as I can tell it is H&K factory, because it has the logo on the floor plate and looks identical to the 10 rounders. A few months later, went to the range. It failed to load every other round. The lips were spreading apart when it was loaded, causing (ah heck I can't remember, but it ended with click not bang).

#24 ·
If the choice is truely no gun or one that I haven't tested yet.

I would to the pencil test to make sure the firing pin works.
Cycle a couple mags of ammo through slingshoting the slide
and I would only carry ball ammo.

Then I would find a way to get to a range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.