61 - 80 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
You're arms are (gulp!) 3 feet long? :blink: The male average is 25". :yup:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
There is a good 3 feet of distance between sticking your gun out in your strong hand vs using your off-hand and keeping the gun tucked in by your ribs. If you've ever done any boxing or had any kind of martial arts training, you should realize that's quite a big difference.
As I mentioned,

Touching distance is inner circle, enter mine at your own risks if you are threatening my life in any way. Off hand, gun hand, no matter. Inside the inner circle, you risk being injured or killed for your efforts.

I have NO time in a dojo, training. I've received martial skills from other sources.

·
Premium Member
33,759 Posts
As I mentioned,

Touching distance is inner circle, enter mine at your own risks if you are threatening my life in any way. Off hand, gun hand, no matter. Inside the inner circle, you risk being injured or killed for your efforts.

I have NO time in a dojo, training. I've received martial skills from other sources.
It's hard to get an accurate shot off when you are seeing stars, unable to breath and being slammed backwards. Talk about a distraction...

Reactions: OD* and AzQkr

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
It's hard to get an accurate shot off when you are seeing stars, unable to breath and being slammed backwards. Talk about a distraction...
Resetting their ooda at the earliest opportunity is preferable to acquiescing to their demands. You either take charge of your own destiny or allow others to command yours.

The title of the thread concerns distractions. Distractions are merely examples of trying to reset their ooda. That may or may not work, depending on what BG one runs into. As that's an unknown, I'd still prefer to work with knowns, those being my ability to control my inner circle.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Does anyone remember Paul Newman's role as a street cop in "Fort Apache, The Bronx"? While, if memory serves, the BG didn't have the drop on him, he immediately went into a very convincing babbling, drooling maniac. The BG was so stupefied, the tables were turned. Of course, Newman was an Academy Award winning actor & it was a movie. Soooo, your results may...vary. :biggrin2:
It would be easy to perform, no skills required, you could even wet your pants for extra measure.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Most experienced folks will tell you that the best decision is a SNAP decision. Going instantly from meek, cooperative & frightened to a kicked hornet's nest of urgently required decisions from the assailant's POV. That moves you from the defense to the offense (much tougher spot for HIM!). And, before anyone suggests that could get me killed, I agree. Yet if he's THAT ready & prepared to shoot? I've got very little to lose...anyway. :yup:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
You're arms are (gulp!) 3 feet long? :blink: The male average is 25". :yup:
If you hold out your left hand, and then tuck your right hand against your ribcage, it's probably about 3 feet. Of course, I'm just estimating, I didn't bust a out a yard stick. As any fan of MMA will tell you, inches of reach makes a big difference in hand to hand combat (ie: a disarm). I'm not getting anything useful out of this off topic conversation, so I'm out.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
If you hold out your left hand, and then tuck your right hand against your ribcage, it's probably about 3 feet. Of course, I'm just guessing I didn't bust a out a yard stick. As any fan of MMA will tell you, inches of reach makes a big difference in hand to hand combat (ie: a disarm).
IMHO, bust out your yardstick. And, as an AAU boxer (long ago), I'm 5'9" with a 6' arm span (yep, my favorite chair is a spare tire hangin' from the ceiling), so I comPLETELY understand your point. :yup:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
If you hold out your left hand, and then tuck your right hand against your ribcage, it's probably about 3 feet. Of course, I'm just estimating, I didn't bust a out a yard stick. As any fan of MMA will tell you, inches of reach makes a big difference in hand to hand combat (ie: a disarm). I'm not getting anything useful out of this off topic conversation, so I'm out.
24" with closed fist, 28" to finger tips. Had a yardstick handy.

·
Premium Member
33,759 Posts
If you hold out your left hand, and then tuck your right hand against your ribcage, it's probably about 3 feet. Of course, I'm just guessing I didn't bust a out a yard stick. As any fan of MMA will tell you, inches of reach makes a big difference in hand to hand combat (ie: a disarm).
Yes, about three feet if the body is bladed and the non-gripping hand is extended to frisk. MMA has many limitations which don't apply in defense against a mugging or armed robbery.

Reactions: 9MMare and AzQkr

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Definitely maybe on all of the above.
Who knows and every situation is different. I don't have the training to disarm the perp. I'll be the first to tell you that. But if I can create a distraction and clear leather I like my chances a lot better than just being a sitting duck.

I would much rather the distraction come from some place other than me. That may or may not present itself.

My number one goal is to protect my family first and me second. I'll do whatever I feel is necessary in the given situation to get that done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
You don't have the training to disarm a perp and most here don't either...despite the facades that are put forward. Most here and I do mean MOST...would probably get their ass shot off trying to disarm a perp.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
You don't have the training to disarm a perp and most here don't either...despite the facades that are put forward. Most here and I do mean MOST...would probably get their ass shot off trying to disarm a perp.
A man has got to know his limitations. I do my best to know mine. Not speaking for anybody else. Just me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I don't believe the majority of ccwers would attempt a disarm to begin with. When it comes right down to it, a man knows inside what he's made of, what if any skills he actually owns vs those he may suggest he owns.

All this talk of distractions, how much time will one have if a distraction actually works? More importantly how fast one can acquire their concealed firearm and get a shot off. If most can't get a shot off in under 1.5 seconds from concealed, and many are closer to 2 seconds to get their first round off, that distraction will have to last at least that long.

1.5-2.0 seconds might feel like a lifetime while relying on distraction.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Well, I agree with Brownie's statement. Reaction times also slow with age, this must be accounted for. Training to disarm, and PRACTICE if so inclined.
Distractions and opportunities are very dynamic. No one has yet mentioned moving off the line during the distraction. May be handy. Remember, dynamic situation!
The safest way is not the same for everyone. Real experience may change your mindset.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Well, I agree with Brownie's statement. Reaction times also slow with age, this must be accounted for. Training to disarm, and PRACTICE if so inclined.
Distractions and opportunities are very dynamic. No one has yet mentioned moving off the line during the distraction. May be handy. Remember, dynamic situation!
The safest way is not the same for everyone. Real experience may change your mindset.
If one allows them to or has medical conditions that present at age increases. Miculek, Bryce, Jordan and even guys like Leatham have incredible speed at what many consider getting long in the tooth. One can maintain and actually develop faster reflexes over the years through training which develops the fast twitch muscles further.

The reality is that most don't have real speed because they don't take to the time to develop it, maintain it or make time to increase it.

·
Premium Member
33,759 Posts
Internet bravado takes many forms, to be sure.

Reactions: Secret Spuk

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Internet bravado takes many forms, to be sure.
The primary reason for the channel Mike. I was told for over a decade I couldn't do what's been demonstrated in real time in front of a video camera. Called a snake oil salesmen by some of the top front sight press instructors out there. Funny how once they were proved wrong, they sorta went away and not longer post it's all BS internet talk.

You know what their main issue was? They don't know what they don't know yet spoke to the subject as if they had real insight into the discussion. :embarassed:

·
Premium Member
33,759 Posts
The primary reason for the channel Mike. I was told for over a decade I couldn't do what's been demonstrated in real time in front of a video camera. Called a snake oil salesmen by some of the top front sight press instructors out there. Funny how once they were proved wrong, they sorta went away and not longer post it's all BS internet talk.

You know what their main issue was? They don't know what they don't know yet spoke to the subject as if they had real insight into the discussion. :embarassed:
This, from a guy who knew that your point-shooting claims were no more than unsubstantiated internet bravado. To refresh or inform, those numbers on the target are distances in yards fired with a Glock 19 with no front sight shortly after I took your threat-focused class in Daytona.
glock 10 15 20 002.JPG

Reactions: molleur and AzQkr

·
Banned
894 Posts
Pull your wallet from its' pocket slowly. Using the other hand, slowly remove the cash and drop it on the ground (cash, not wallet). Turn and run, yelling "FIRE" or "RAPE" or anything you think will draw a crowd. Yelling "GUN" probably wont help.

You are covered. Any move you make is a risk. The BG wants the money, it's on the ground, and the wind is moving it away. Get distance and use your phone.

I watched Rowdy on Raw Hide I think it was explain how you can draw and kill a man in the blink of an eye. You both read the script first, and edit the film.

A lot of these thugs will have age or weight or strength on you, and a lot of them grow up fighting every day. Some are even trained combat veterans. Unless you train and practice a lot, and are good, just give up the money. It's cheaper than the trip to the emergency room.

61 - 80 of 127 Posts