Defensive Carry banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
This, from a guy who knew that your point-shooting claims were no more than unsubstantiated internet bravado. To refresh or inform, those numbers on the target are distances in yards fired with a Glock 19 with no front sight shortly after I took your threat-focused class in Daytona.
View attachment 172802
There ya go, another example of what is possible with a little enlightenment. :35:

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Had an "incident" last week that I wasn't going to post about.
10:00PM, Walmart parking lot, moderately dark. Approached by a big man, about 25ish. Guess 250 lbs.
Not many folks around. Now, I'm 72 180 lbs.
Noticed (SA) he pulled a small knife and was hiding it behind his right leg.
As he approached (I was boxed in by vehicles) within a few feet (maybe 3)
and demanded my wallet I quickly moved in to him and applied a knee, and violent chin thrust.
By this time I noticed another customer on his phone calling 911, he was yelling 911, 911, 911.
I left the scene and went home. Never heard a word from the local LEO, Sheriff, nothing.
Action beats reaction, I simply wasn't going to yield and had the chance to take action, period!

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Had an "incident" last week that I wasn't going to post about.
10:00PM, Walmart parking lot, moderately dark. Approached by a big man, about 25ish. Guess 250 lbs.
Not many folks around. Now, I'm 72 180 lbs.
Noticed (SA) he pulled a small knife and was hiding it behind his right leg.
As he approached (I was boxed in by vehicles) within a few feet (maybe 3)
and demanded my wallet I quickly moved in to him and applied a knee, and violent chin thrust.
By this time I noticed another customer on his phone calling 911, he was yelling 911, 911, 911.
I left the scene and went home. Never heard a word from the local LEO, Sheriff, nothing.
Action beats reaction, I simply wasn't going to yield and had the chance to take action, period!
Did you think to distract him first when he demanded the money? :gah:

·
Registered
519 Posts
...and of course, always wear tactical 'anti-girlfriend-shrieking' ear plugs 24/7. :wink:
My wife says I have selective hearing honed by 37 years of marriage. She's correct!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,728 Posts
The primary reason for the channel Mike. I was told for over a decade I couldn't do what's been demonstrated in real time in front of a video camera. Called a snake oil salesmen by some of the top front sight press instructors out there. Funny how once they were proved wrong, they sorta went away and not longer post it's all BS internet talk.

You know what their main issue was? They don't know what they don't know yet spoke to the subject as if they had real insight into the discussion. :embarassed:
What is wrong with snake oil salesmen?

·
Vendor
1,540 Posts
This was just in training exercises and may just get me shoot faster but I have acted as tho I am deaf and dint understand what was going on in an attempt to draw the bg in closer for a disarm.
It has worked well in training as it seems the bg wants to be sure I see the gun and that he means business (brings him and the gun closer to me) I disarm them.

My not work worth a thing in the real world as it may just get me shot faster. This has been in training with actors not real bad guys, all of them has said they feel a need to be sure I see the gun when I acted confused and deaf and is what drew them closer. They was demanding my money, wallet or what ever in a robbery type thing.
Again not real bad guys so I dont know.

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Well, I realize that there ARE criminal masterminds ('cuz I watch Blacklist) :image035: . Yet viewing the news and reading some of the featured threads here at DC, I'm confident that we're smarter than...MOST of 'em! :yup:
Predators are not stupid and they pick the time, place, and method. They have most of the advantages.

If that is how they survive...no, I dont necessarily think they are stupid at all. Not at what they're doing.

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Any proof/links/data to back this statement up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I find it a very solid statement. For civilians, cops, soldiers.

The predator picks the time and place to their advantage.

Not sure how to overcome an attack you dont see or hear until it happens....that's why we rely on...primarily IMO...situational awareness as THE best preventative, period.

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Well, I agree with Brownie's statement. Reaction times also slow with age, this must be accounted for. Training to disarm, and PRACTICE if so inclined.
Distractions and opportunities are very dynamic. No one has yet mentioned moving off the line during the distraction. May be handy. Remember, dynamic situation!
The safest way is not the same for everyone. Real experience may change your mindset.
Moving is my number one 'go-to' and I do practice it and I'm fairly confident I will be able to do so. What I hear in my head, is "MOVE!"

Reactions: molleur

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Pull your wallet from its' pocket slowly. Using the other hand, slowly remove the cash and drop it on the ground (cash, not wallet). Turn and run, yelling "FIRE" or "RAPE" or anything you think will draw a crowd. Yelling "GUN" probably wont help.

You are covered. Any move you make is a risk. The BG wants the money, it's on the ground, and the wind is moving it away. Get distance and use your phone.

I watched Rowdy on Raw Hide I think it was explain how you can draw and kill a man in the blink of an eye. You both read the script first, and edit the film.

A lot of these thugs will have age or weight or strength on you, and a lot of them grow up fighting every day. Some are even trained combat veterans. Unless you train and practice a lot, and are good, just give up the money. It's cheaper than the trip to the emergency room.
If I was mugging you, I'd be so pissed at your disrespectful (in their eyes) actions that I'd shoot you and then pick up my money. It will only take one more second. Or crack my gun down on the back of your head when you turned to go....quieter.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Predators are not stupid and they pick the time, place, and method. They have most of the advantages.

If that is how they survive...no, I dont necessarily think they are stupid at all. Not at what they're doing.
Maybe it's geographic? You're criminals are smarter than...my criminals, :biggrin2:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts

As with all things in life, there will be idiots and there'll be others who aren't going to fall for a distraction.

81 - 100 of 127 Posts