Defensive Carry banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
As with all things in life, there will be idiots and there'll be others who aren't going to fall for a distraction.
And I'm not going in overconfident and underestimating them.

·
Registered
323 Posts
act like a liberal that just shot a gun and imedently got a case of ptsd. and drop to the floor in a fetal shape, screaming like a baby girl.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
i liked the story about Wild Bill Hickok who, when the bad guy had the drop on him, Wild Bill looked past the bad guy and said, "Hey! Don't shoot that man in the back!" at which time the BG turned to see who was there and Bill drew, fired and killed him. Or so goes the story.

Reactions: CommonCents

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
The distraction is, now you have it, now you don't. Blink and it's no longer yours.

OOOk ,,, I probably wouldn't try this.... .... Ummm no. If your opponent has any clue of how to use a snub, or any revolver, none of this will work. I may be straying from the gist of the thread... But if your getting robbed, you may just want to give up the cash and coat. The trick to self defense is IMO to not get into the situation, and/or be prepared for the event.

·
Registered
642 Posts
A blinding flash of light works in any scenario day or night, but how to incorporate it at a moments notice is a key question. I've been blinded by the sudden flash of light from a flash camera. You'd have the upper hand for what, a good 30 seconds? :blink:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
A blinding flash of light works in any scenario day or night, but how to incorporate it at a moments notice is a key question. I've been blinded by the sudden flash of light from a flash camera. You'd have the upper hand for what, a good 30 seconds? :blink:
Exactly, I like the HI handheld lights, but I don't walk around with one in my hand. Great options when they can be used, but at the point of a muzzle while being robbed? I won't be thinking about the light that would work if it were in my hand, as it's not.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'm kind of surprised more LEO'S don't use that approach when they are telling the guy to drop his weapon, just point and FLASH!

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
I'm kind of surprised more LEO'S don't use that approach when they are telling the guy to drop his weapon, just point and FLASH!
From the last few posts...are we sure it's an advantage to shine that light? The criminal has no concerns about backstop or bystanders...how do we know they wont just shoot anyway?

I know that I'd feel very threatened if someone blinded me and left me partially or totally defenseless.

Even moving might not be enough to do it safely if they decide to "pray and spray."

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Does anyone but me remember the Kodak "Magic Cube"? It was a small, disposable, self-powered, four-shot, flash for the Kodak Instamatic camera. In later travels in Central & South America, I discovered them still popular among "professional" kidnappers to temporarily blind the victim to make subsequent perp identification more difficult. Saddest part? The LEOs were usually...the KIDNAPPERS! :scruntiny:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Lets pretend: Flash goes off bad guy blinks tries to shake it off 2 seconds have passed that's 2 seconds to draw your weapon 3rd second you are on target bad guy starts to shoot he might get one wild shot off but by that time its been 4 seconds and you've placed a round on the bulls eye.

Just thinkin

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Lets pretend: Flash goes off bad guy blinks tries to shake it off 2 seconds have passed that's 2 seconds to draw your weapon 3rd second you are on target bad guy starts to shoot he might get one wild shot off but by that time its been 4 seconds and you've placed a round on the bulls eye.

Just thinkin
3 seconds to first shot? 2 seconds to first shot? Too slow in about any scenario one cares to come up with where the threat of death is imminent.

·
Registered
642 Posts
i guess that's when having the right holster comes into play, might shave off a second, as well as having the right mind set, don't forget the blind guy can't see and I'm only pretending at this point.:ahhhhh:

·
Banned
4,084 Posts

Just thinkin
2 seconds! Wow, 2 seconds is a very long time. Lots of damage can be done that fast. Just look at the Tueller drill.

If they have a firearm within reach, they can draw and start firing quickly. Dont people here practice that all the time?

At least most cops would already have their guns out...most civilians walking thru a parking lot, etc? No.

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Any distraction that buys me so much as an eye-blink, is an eye-blink's time that I might not otherwise...HAVE. I'll TAKE it! :image035:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I never (even) suggested attempting ANY distraction and then just...standing there waiting for something to happen next. :biggrin2:

The whole concept of "distraction" (if I understand it properly) is an effort to create an attention-breaking diversion in immediate preparation for doing something ELSE! :image035:

·
Registered
642 Posts
All of my life I've never seen this one fail: look up at something, it can even get comical if you keep looking up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm going to distract him with the flaming flash of my new .357 magnum snubby roaring out of my coat pocket towards him.

It will give him pause...one way or another.

He should be blind and deaf, if not dead, shortly.

101 - 120 of 127 Posts