Defensive Carry banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sweat guard on my CTAC is cut so it sticks up about 1/2" above the top of the gun. And it's pointy! When I sit down, it jabs into my rib fat.

I need to trim/round-off the top edge of the guard.

What is the easiest and/or cleanest way to trim this Kydex?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I would say a Dremel with a cutting wheel. Be sure to round/smooth over the cut as best you can, or you'll cause a sharper point for you're "fat". You should be able to do that with the same wheel, or a grinding wheel on the Dremel.

That's what I would do.

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
I'd say make the main cut with anything you have to hand - coping saw, fret saw, Dremel disk - but cut a bit away from desired finish line.

Then I'd work on that with a medium cut file to dress it to final line and fairly smooth, getting rid of cutting burrs. Then finish with fine cut or even needle file, with a 600 grit paper to finish.

In theory it could be hot worked but on a small area I think that would be impractical and innacurate.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I did a bit of trimming on my CTAC as well, just used a file. It takes it down pretty fast, no need for a saw or cut off wheel, just file it and keep ckecking, you can always take off more. I trimmed the excess off the bottom of the 3 hole clips (digging into my hip) Great Holster, just got a FBI paddle for my Kahr P40 from them too, love it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
You can cut it with a razor-knife blade or thick Exacto blade if you carefully make the first impression cut then repeated cuts thru it. You can even break the excess off without cutting all the way thru and without damaging the rest once you see the cut line as a white discoloration thru the opposite side. Then sand and polish the edges with a Dremel or sanding wheel. I start with about 200 grit and work my way down to about 400 for polishing th edges.

·
Banned
270 Posts
I cut mine with a pair of EMT sheers (the ones that cut pennies) or grind it on the bench grinder and finish with a felt (same bench grinder) wheel loaded with White rouge.

The flet "melts" the edges and rounds them at the same time.

Kinda like the wooden dowl trick in a drill press for leather . Works great!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts