Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been testing some different brands of Premium and Personal Protection hollow point ammo to check the reliability of it in my Springfield Armory loaded .45. While testing, in addition to normal shooting I used some sloppy techniques to try and increase the chances of a jam or misfeed.
Some items are "limp wristing" and a slow slingshot of the slide, not releasing it and following the slide into battery. Any other things you guys or ladies try while checking the function of ammo in your carry guns that needs to be 100%

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I think it's also worth having a ''crap mag'' - one of those cheapie deals that will feed when it feels like it - slightly sticking follower perhaps. Means the odd FTF or stove pipe might occur when not expected - so good chance to deal with failure drill.

Also worth sacrificing a round or two by deliberately putting a small kink in brass near top - such as might occur from a slide slam on a misfeed - will it chamber - if so how much effort. if not - how to clear it.

Just small caveats I have thought of.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Get the gun filthy. Load a magazine with several different brands of ammo that all are loaded to different performance levels. We call that a 'fruit salad' here.

I would never get a gun that dirty, and I try to use the same brand of fresh, clean ammo for my defense pistols.

But if a filthy pistol can load, fire and eject a bunch of loads that all recoil differently, I think you have a great pistol.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've tried all sorts of experiments, trying to get my Bulgarian Makarov to malfunction. Getting it good and dirty with cheap Wolf ammo, limp-wristing, holding it at weird angles. Nothing works. It just refuses to NOT go bang.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
P95Carry said:
I think it's also worth having a ''crap mag'' - one of those cheapie deals that will feed when it feels like it - slightly sticking follower perhaps. Means the odd FTF or stove pipe might occur when not expected - so good chance to deal with failure drill.
Oh you mean use a PRO-MAG brand magazine? Biggest POS I ever saw!

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well one I ran into was a few rds that had the darn lead seated too darn deep in the case....that'll jam!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can manage to get one of mine to not feed SWCs if I don't have the gun lubed up enough. Running a tight gun a bit too dry can cause some feeding issues. Yes, I realize that's not a typical defense load and I don't use it for such

But otherwise, never had a problem feeding round-nose bullets unless it was something like folks have mentioned above.

For hollowpoints I've only ever run Golden Sabres. Chose them mainly because their profile resembles a round nose more than some of the other HP ammo. Never had a feeding issue with them that wasn't attributed to a bad magazine.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
have a friend load up a mag with snap caps, that will give you both randomness and good training to practice clears.

~A

·
Registered
868 Posts
APachon said:
have a friend load up a mag with snap caps, that will give you both randomness and good training to practice clears.

~A
I agree it is the most clean way to implement a surprise in the shooting stream. It is also a safe way to not cause a jam but to have the shooter get interrupted at some unknown moment. I would do that once in a while when I shot at the range by inserting one or two snap caps, don't over do it or the exercise becomes a pain. :smile:

·
Registered
88 Posts
The snap cap thing is great to do when at the range with friends.

My typical autoloader function test is simple. 1000 rnds in two hours (sometimes one when enough people help) no cleaning of mags or gun. It can be one hell of a first impression for a new gun. :biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts