Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this under a different forum area with 0 response over a week so thought I would re post here. I'm a college student that just got my CPL a few weeks ago and the only handgun I have is a sig 2340 and with little money i'm making my EDC my 2340. I snapped a few photos to see if anyone had any suggestions that may make my carry more comfortable? Im using an old faithful IWB holster with a heavy duty last chance cableas gun belt. Has anyone else had discomfort over their weak side while using a heavy duty gun belt if so how did you relieve it? IMG_0187.jpg IMG_0186.jpg IMG_0184.jpg IMG_0183.jpg

·
Registered
354 Posts
Your probably unintentionally leaning to try and counter the bulge from that IWB setup....happened to me also. Quit leaning and stand up straight and your pain on the opposite side will go away. No ones looking.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Can't see the clips on the holster, but whatever comfort you experience will come over time. I wear an SHTF ACE-1 holster (also on left side), and I find it to be very comfortable, with no discomfort on my weak side.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am a huge remora fan, no clip, comfortable and is affordable, I bought a reinforced top so I can dress around my holster then holster my EDC which is my walther ppq, if I can comfortably conceal a medium sized pistol with the remora, you shouldn't have a problem. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368677469.086887.jpg

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
This is what I was wearing this winter some of the time, I have a pics with my crossbreed iwb but I have to dig it up. Once you wear it more you want even tell that you have it on. Try being it the military like I was for twenty-eight years and wear all of your field gears.
OWB holsters carry 017.jpg OWB holsters carry 020.jpg

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I am not sure what you are asking. Are you having discomfort on your weak-side hip while carrying on your strong side? If that is the case it is either just that your belt has yet to break in, that you are tightening your belt too much, or that your pants are too tight. Pants that fit you well, with no gun, are too tight for IWB carry. Try leaving the button of your pants undone and loosen up your belt just a hair and see if that works. Wi so you might just have to buy some new pants.

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
I know that belt, and honestly, compared to some other similar type belts out there (Wilderness Tactical, 5.11) it isn't impressive at all, a stiff belt that doesn't shift AT ALL is vital. Try shifting your holster back more to a 4:00 or even 5:00 position, you aren't really printing per se but it is pretty obvious in the pics that you have something under your shirt. That can lead to awkward conversations, especially around a college aged crowd.

When I first read the thread and saw two posts with similar type pics (selfies in the mirror), I assumed they were the same poster. I thought for a moment that you had done an inverse Michael Jackson (gone from white to black)...I need to lay off the sherm stick...

·
Registered
314 Posts
I cannot get comfortable with my hybrid IWB Theis holster either, and it houses only a Nano. All the extra leather and the clips make it impossible to be comfortable. I've had it for a few months, so it's broken in. It also depends on the shorts I wear and the t-shirts too as to whether I print or not. I have a PJ Holster on order for a few weeks (like 10) so it should be here soon (I hope). I think that minimal holster will help tremendously.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Some times but I believe it is related to a knife I sometimes carry on the weak side and the fact that I have a preference to have my belt very tight. However I would like to address carrying full size hg. I have found that for me, it is more comfortable to carry full size at 430/5 oclock instead of 3. Compacts are fine for 3 though, maybe if you tried it in the 430/5 area you would fix your problem.

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
Better belt...with a stiffener. If your belt is too tight with a IWB setup...you will be uncomfortable all around.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Stiffer belt, and maybe wear a mag pouch on the weak side. Balance out the load. The hybrid holsters do need a fair bit of time to break in, and even then I don't find them to be as comfy as my Garrett IWB. I know you don't want to blow a lot of money, so you'll probably have to trade off comfort for economy for a little while. Many of us accumulate a "box of holsters" while we're finding out what works for us, and maybe there's no shortcut save dumb luck.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
IMO, there's one or two ways to carry a full size pistol with your particular build. One would be appendix carry and is the one that would lend itself to the fastest draw. The other would be using the SmartCarry system; I use the SmartCarry all the time with excellent success. Look up "SmartCarry" and check it out from their site.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
IMO, there's one or two ways to carry a full size pistol with your particular build. One would be appendix carry and is the one that would lend itself to the fastest draw. The other would be using the SmartCarry system; I use the SmartCarry all the time with excellent success. Look up "SmartCarry" and check it out from their site.
^^^ this. this would probably be your best and more comfortable bet, either smartcarry or AIWB.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
OP your position almost looks like a 2.30 position. Not quite appendix and not IWB 3.30. I've never tried 2.30 before but it looks like it would be hard to sit down or just bend at the hips. Maybe rotate it back to the 3.30 position and give it a go? You'll know you're there when your just off your strong side hip bone by a bit, pistol sitting rearward of the hip bone.

·
Banned
1,774 Posts
The smart carry holster makes me nervous just looking at the position, not to mention sitting down with it as in driving a car. It also doesn't relate to ease of draw for fat belly's like myself. Just saying.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
... suggestions that may make my carry more comfortable?
That leaves a lot to be guessed.

Can you describe what it is, specifically, that's uncomfortable, what it feels like, whether it's painful, any pressure points, whether you just get tired after X number of hours, etc? ("Discomfort" on the weak side; got it.)

Does it feel like the belt is digging in, around the weak side?

Does it feel like you've got a smaller, specific hot spot?

Have you tried positioning the holstered gun elsewhere along your belt (and, if so, to what effect)?

old faithful IWB holster with a heavy duty last chance cableas gun belt
Have you tried this gun with any other holster?

I'm unfamiliar with how stiff the Cabela's Last Chance HD belt is. Does it curve around your holstered gun any, or does it firmly hold its shape when geared up?

Can you compare this discomfort with the same holstered gun that's worn with a different belt (any belt, assuming you have a different one)? Might be it's too stiff, or not stiff enough. Hard to tell from the pics, though it doesn't look awful to me (stiffness-wise).

One thing I have found is that not all holsters nicely conform to my body's shape at every spot. Sometimes, it can be trial-and-error. IMO, sometimes a given holster's design just doesn't come anywhere near to being as comfortable as others. Can be hard to tell what would be better, without comparing to others.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts