Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to a revolver for CC. I have a 6 shot 357 Colt Lawman and have purchased 2 speed loaders. So for all the revolver professionals:

What is the method for removing spent casings and reloading new... i.e. hand positioning, finger poistion, gun position, assuming one is shooting right handed...

Obviously it will take practice to become quick and adept, but what is the best form and procedure...

Thanks...

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Its tough to explain in printed word, but I'll try.

I open the cylinder and bump the ejector rod while moving the gun from my right to left hand. It can become on fluid sweeping motion.
Cupping the cylinder in my left hand, gun downrange, I drop the reload into the cylinder. Close cylinder as I switch back to a shooting position.

It takes practice, but once you get it down, its really not hard to do and its fast.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Go to Smith and Wessons web site and watch the training clip by Jerry Miculek. It's free. He knows more than I do.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
I prefer the Stressfire method of reloading a revolver.

Watch the video on the Stressfire method in this link. There is a lot of good info on the whole podcast, and the videos give a great demonstration on the Stressfire method.

037 The Revolver Round-Table

Biker

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Go to Smith and Wessons web site and watch the training clip by Jerry Miculek. It's free. He knows more than I do.
Amen.. My wife loved the videos. Also, you may want to try a defferent speedloader. I don't know about moonclips but I like the HKS for my Ruger SP-101 but not for my S&W 637. Even with the compatable grips on the 637.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Lesson from an old mason (the guy that taught me the trade)

You concentrate on doing it right, speed will come

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Practice at home using some snap caps or dummy loads.

MAKE SURE THERE IS NO LIVE AMMO ANYWHERE IN THE AREA!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I prefer the Stressfire method of reloading a revolver.

Watch the video on the Stressfire method in this link. There is a lot of good info on the whole podcast, and the videos give a great demonstration on the Stressfire method.

037 The Revolver Round-Table

Biker
+1 on the Stressfire method!!! The only way to go as far as I'm concerned.

One thing which makes Ayoob such a great instructor is his attention to detail and how he provides the history behind how things were done in the old days, why they don't work today, and the logic behind how and why he developed this technique. It really drives the message home.

I appreciate when instructors provide the logic and reason behind what they teach instead of just saying, "Do it this way, because I said so."

Thanks for the link Biker! :hand10:

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Practice.

My father in law was LEO and FBI before this speed loader & moon clip thing came along.

He can still reach into his pocket, grab 5 (or 6 depending on the gun) loose rounds, have them all nose down by the time the spent cases fall, and drop them in PDQ.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
It is still hard to beat NY speed loaders.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the help, I know it will take practice but that is part of the fun. Changing hands is more natural but I didn't think changing hands would be faster. I am reminded again of my humanity. Thanks again...

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
New York Reload

Now what is a New York Reload? Is it some exotic technique or custom piece of equipment? Not hardly – A New York reload is another gun, tucked away in concealment , but ready to go when needed. And if the primary gun runs dry and there is no time to reload it, the New York reload allows the officer to continue protecting and serving.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts