Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got done reading the other thread about How does the significant other feel about CCW, and I have had a question fort some time now that made me think of it again. I have currently went through a divorce and am starting to date again after many years. I have just recently started to carry around the home as KS does not have CCW yet, but should have PA next week to carry in MO and hopefully in KS starting on July 1st. Anyways, my question is this, to those that have dated, when do you tell your girlfriend, that you CCW ?? What if this girlfriend may not be the one you want to marry, do you still tell her ?? Would you really go naked (no gun) just to not frighten the new girlfriend on the first date ?? Do you bring this up before you even start to date and possibly letting this coveted info out in the open ?? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I would not tell her unless you are very serious about her and she about you. I would say after a year. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BlueLion, thanks for the reply. But, a year !! That may be kinda hard to do with the proximity of us two. I mean, I guess IF I tried REALLY hard, I may be able to keep her from seeing it or brushing up against it or running her hand over of it (maybe, almost impossible).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Me if I was single i'd just feel her out about how she feels about guns in general. With me i'd carry no matter what she thought. Living in AZ what few times i've gone to an indoor range more then once i've seen as many woman shooting as guys. Lots of the women come in theirself. Guess it depends on the part of the country you live in how people in general feel about CCW.

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
I'd make no effort to hide it. It's a part of who you are and it will be a factor the both of you use to decide whether your relationship should go further. Good luck with whatever you decide.... :smile:

·
Registered
185 Posts
When I was dating I would tell them just in casual conversation. I think this is a good choice just in case you have to use it in front of them.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I second Bumpers reply

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
i would not hesitate to mention I shoot and like guns, if it went to a semi serious relationship, I would mention I carry. In fact that is what I did w/ my current girlfriend. wasn't a big deal, if it was , she wouldn't be dating me anymore.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think one should observe a kind of cool-down period and wait a month or two before you think about telling them. Untill then I would recommend pocket carry of a mouse gun. This is especially convenient if for some reason you have to take off your pants :D. other than that just kind of ease them into it, take em' shooting, introduce them to the fact that you like guns, that will spark a conversation sooner or later that will let you know where you stand.
I've been dating my current girlfriend for a couple years now and she's been talking about getting a permit herself, both of her parents are anti hippy types. It just took being around someone that was responsible and safe to make her realize that a firearm is just another innanimate tool.

·
Registered
185 Posts
blueyedevil has a vaild point. If they don't know anything about guns see if they will go shooting with you. My wife, two sister-in-laws and her cousins did not like guns when I first started coming around. I offered to take them shooting with me. My wife now will not leave the house without her CCW and two out of three cousins have guns now but do not carry all the time due to being in college. My sister-in-laws go shooting with us but do not want to own a gun as of yet. But hey at least they are shooting them willingly right.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Wierd way to Find Out

Was debating the concept some 25 years ago when I was dating the current Mrs. Situation came up where I had to pull. To this day I am not sure who was faster Me or Her!! Needless to say the following discussion was interesting.

Think the same situation came up a while back in the Day By Day comic strip by Chris Muir. :danceban: :haha:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Shooting Range

Take her shooting and when done return your weapon to your cc holster, conversation will follow.
It is on your mind so take care of it :image035:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Go thru your very best "why you carry" speech. Decide how much you care for her by her response to your speech. Also how much she cares for you.

If her responses are worth further explaniation on your part,go for it,if not,dump her and move on to the next potential "target". --------

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I asked my future wife to carry it for me as it was too heavy. She thought a handgun in her bag was sort of cool.

AFS

·
Registered
641 Posts
I would neither confirm or deny my carry status if asked. If asked whether I carrY I just don't respond. If the new girl friend asks tell her you carry but don't enter into a discussion about it. It isn't a matter for discussion or debate.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dairycreek... debate it will not be.. Discussion on how she can get involved and stay a part of the relationship it may be. I live by the rule "do unto others what you want them to do unto you" so I feel obligated to tell her. I would like for her to know because in time of need, it would be beneficial for her to know so she is not in the way and won't be totally freaked when the on of mass destruction comes out in the open. Thanks for your thoughts. Just my thoughts also.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts