Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new Mustang Pocketlight years ago and have shot only about 50 rounds through it. I am not really a gun guy and recently got a carry permit only because of the crazies out there and concern I may not be able to get one some day.

Now that I carry it I kinda feel bad to "use" such a collectible. After spending so much time here, I also think I want a 9mm work type gun, reliable but not too nice to carry.

I'm just beginning to explore selling mine and don't know what it might be worth or how to go about selling (I'm in CA). I would appreciate advice from the more experienced members.

·
Registered
809 Posts
In CA, I'd sell or trade it to a dealer. If you like it, forget about the collector value and keep it and use it. Other than that, trade for something you'll use more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a new Mustang Pocketlight years ago and have shot only about 50 rounds through it. I am not really a gun guy and recently got a carry permit only because of the crazies out there and concern I may not be able to get one some day.

Now that I carry it I kinda feel bad to "use" such a collectible. After spending so much time here, I also think I want a 9mm work type gun, reliable but not too nice to carry.

I'm just beginning to explore selling mine and don't know what it might be worth or how to go about selling (I'm in CA). I would appreciate advice from the more experienced members.
Can't help with the CA part of the question but you might consider selling it on here. I recently purchased one here in Houston with 7 mags for 750. But just today I saw one at the gun show for 850. So the price is really what the market (or buyer) is willing to give. Good luck with the sell. (Wish you were here, we would be talking.......LOL I love mine and wouldn't mind having another one or two or three......)

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
You are right these are collectibles. If you are determined to sell, try the
Member Buy Sell & Trade forum. It will go fast.

If you don't need the money, hold on to it.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I too would recommend being patient and keeping it if you don't need the money. It surely won't go down in value...

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
In CA, I'd sell or trade it to a dealer. If you like it, forget about the collector value and keep it and use it. Other than that, trade for something you'll use more.
That would be a BIG mistake. A dealer isn't going to give him anything near the value of the gun.

As already suggested. Keep it or sell it directly yourself.

·
Registered
809 Posts
That would be a BIG mistake. A dealer isn't going to give him anything near the value of the gun.

As already suggested. Keep it or sell it directly yourself.
As a rule, I agree. I'm not telling him to take a beating on the deal. If he is unfamiliar with guns and especially if he's unfamiliar with gun laws (whatever they may be in CA, yuck) just make sure you have all your ducks in a row.

·
Registered
799 Posts
How to sell a Colt .380 (any model):
  1. Go to gathering of gun nuts.
  2. Allow gun to be spotted.
  3. Accept highest bid.

Took my Govt. Model .380 to an IDPA BUG match. Straight from the SO's mouth: "Does the shooter have any questions about the... hey, you wanna sell that?"

"No and NO! Thank you very much."

The introduction of the Sig P238 may curb the feeding frenzy a bit, but not completely.

Joe

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I may end up keeping it, but have read that a 9mm is preferred over the 380. I am not a collector by design (I do have a couple however) and think that if I carry this it will loose value. If I sell it now, I should get enough to buy a new solid 9mm.

I find I treat the Mustang like a piece of art. My son keeps telling me it's a tool, not art, so I'd rather see it go to someone who appreciates guns more. As for the replacement, I will treat it right as my life depends on it, just not put it on the alter every night. I won't toss it around, but don't want to throw up if it happens to get a scratch after a few years.

As for the legal steps in CA, an avid shooter and confirmed CCW in a gun shop told me about transfers and I think will help me through the process (he doesn't want mine because it's too small).

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This Friday evening I'm going to a local IDPA meeting. I hope to learn more about concealed carry and hopefully try a couple of guns I'm considering (for after I sell my Mustang).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts