Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
can anyone tell me what to do or how to make the back of the supertuck holster smooth and not so rough!!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Well I don't own a real supertuck but my DIY version of something like it I just took some 800 grit sandpaper to the back of it. I also worked with some stronger paper but I felt 800 worked fine, I probably would have used 200-400 but I didn't have any handy, I just had 60 or 800+:) Either way as long as you don't take too much material off I would just use a little sandpaper but it's your holster. The other thing I've noticed is that most people seem to wear an undershirt between the holster and body with supertucks, I assume your not and it's rubbing your skin.

So either way that's what I did to mine, and what I would recommend but someone else might have some other idea.

Luke

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea im wearing a under shirt but it still feels rough through the shirt

·
Registered
431 Posts
sand it down smooth and rub saddle soap into it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
a bees wax like Sno-Seal also works well. if you rub in a good coat then heat it with a blow drier or heat gun it will soak in well. you can then burnish it a bit to smooth it out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i tried the sand paper made it alot smoother but still has that course grip feel to it

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just wear it. After a week or two, it will smooth out and you will get used to it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the advise i sanded and put sum leather conditioner on it and it made it alot better!! but if anyone else has any suggestions or experience with this, ur input would be appreciated !! thanks

·
Registered
5,314 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The bodyside leather is purposefully left rough to aid in keeping it in place.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and i also have another question, what makes a gun belt better than just a good thick,stiff leather belt, and are they comfortable???

·
Registered
443 Posts
Well gun belts really are just a good stiff belt, but they are designed to hold the weight of the gun in holster without deforming. Most normal belts will sag over time until they are pretty worthless after a while. Some holster belts have a synthetic insert between the layers of leather to help keep the belt from sagging over time also. Just depends on what you want in a holster belt, in my opinion it's not quite as much of an issue with an IWB holster vs. an OWB holster.

Luke

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Trust me, the suede texture you want. You will get used to it, and it will smooth out somewhat from your own body oils and heat.

I'd be leery of putting chemicals on the suede. You don't know how your body will react to the stuff. Be a shame to become allergic to your holster. Never mind what it may do to your clothing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
is it just me or does the rough back of the supertuck bother anyone else

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
OK but then why is it that both the Minotaur and The Answer have a smooth leather backing? They are comparable if not better holsters.
I would not go as far to say better, just different.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Try Moleskin. You can get it from any drugstore in the foot/shoe sole aisle. I put some on the back of my supertuck six months ago and it is still there and hanging in strong. No problems with it shifting around + it only cost me $1.50.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
OK but then why is it that both the Minotaur and The Answer have a smooth leather backing? They are comparable if not better holsters.
The Minotaur is more expensive because of the smooth leather backing and it also makes it more comfortable IMO... That's the real difference between the MTAC and the Supertuck...

·
Registered
443 Posts
I can't say much as far as what other people do for holsters but most IWB holsters are smooth toward the body. There are certainly exceptions to the rule but I have found after building holsters both ways I prefer smooth towards the body. I can do rough for a while but because I don't wear an undershirt I find that it irritated my skin. Perhaps I just have sensitive skin or something of the sort but that's my experiences.

That said most people rave about the SuperTuck and I don't have any experience with their holsters I just have a similar rig I built for myself. I recently cut a new back for it smooth toward the body though for that reason;)

Luke

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Just wear it, it will smooth out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts