Defensive Carry banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
At the college level, it is the Humanities that teaches the 'how' and 'why' to write. Ironically, if we look at some of the curriculum proposals of pre-college education from the 1800's to the 1940's, the focus was on citizenry and the core components of what our society desired in it's People. Humanities did include the STEM basics while also including the focus on the body, mind and spirit. The 1970's started trends that may have been over enthusiastically embraced without a care for balance. They simply tossed anything prior with the result that colleges and universities have a focus on vocational output.

Vocations such as Medicine, Law, Engineering, and such. all at the undergrad level. Without the base Humanities, you get what we have today - People who cannot write, cannot understand what is read, and cannot appreciate anything but their own juvenile thoughts.

Here's a key example - This thread is titled 'How to Stop Tyranny'. History teaches us that the optimal method is revolution. Unlike some of the comments that are focused on 'How to prevent Tyranny from taking hold'. See the difference? 1) Read, 2) Think, 3) Add to the discussion.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
@Sister private or public, it matters not. Some schools are good, some are bad, and many are in the middle. People need to check things out for themselves.

I will say that the public schools tend to be bad in the larger urban areas. I have seen that firsthand, and the data shows that to be true.

·
Registered
175 Posts
@Sister private or public, it matters not. Some schools are good, some are bad, and many are in the middle. People need to check things out for themselves.

I will say that the public schools tend to be bad in the larger urban areas. I have seen that firsthand, and the data shows that to be true.
Your logos was solid right up until all ethos is killed with the closing phrase "the data shows that to be true".

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I'm not certain what you are saying @frgood. However, decades of data prove that the vast majority of inner city schools are failing. The reasons are varied, but the end result speaks for itself.

I've seen firsthand the corruption and distribution of resources done inequitably exacerbating things. Not where I work, but in Milwaukee. The corruption that has dominated that city for decades combined with broken families has left the poorer communities in shambles. The kids can barely read or write much less do math in high school. The disincentives are so strong that getting the young people to work towards being better is an almost insurmountable task. Chicago, Indianapolis, Baltimore, and Phoenix are all other major cities I've been in. They all have the same ghettos that are in different states of dis-repair. The ghettos compromise people of three of the four major ethnicities from what I have personally witnessed. White, black, and hispanic. I'm certain that there are asian inner city ghettos, but I have not personally seen them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I simply said that your first sentence was spot on and I agree.

I then said your last sentence regarding data I disagree.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
My daughter learned history from me and her grandfather. Nothing like hearing first-hand accounts of atrocities committed by Japs and Charlie to leave a lasting impression.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Heck just teach World History factually without political/ideologies intruding. The world has always been a dangerous place and only the U.S.of A. has ever enjoyed this level of freedoms. But from the very beginning they have been gradually eroded.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Speaking of knowing history...those are British planes with British markings...
You, sir, win the internet for the day!

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Being younger than many of you, I can say that my education in US History during the 80's and 90's was most comprehensive and legitimate. It seems things have gotten worse recently, at least with regard to depth of coverage, and overemphasis on recent events.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Being younger than many of you, I can say that my education in US History... during the 80's and 90's was most comprehensive and legitimate. It seems things have gotten worse recently, at least with regard to depth of coverage, and overemphasis on recent events.
I’ll quote one of the greatest Presidents in my OLD lifetime in in regards to this whole age thing:

”I will not hold my opponents youth and inexperience against him”

~Ronald Regan~

:danceban:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts