Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, that funny post about steel vs. plastic set my mind to wander and I've come to realize that in firearms, I'm a sort of pseudo traditionalist. I like traditional features and platforms, but I want modern conveniences.

For example the double action revolvers I like so much are easily 100 years old in design, but I favor stainless steel models with modern rubber grips and modern sights.

On working guns I usually want synthetic and stainless, but I have my fair share of wood and blued too. My small sample really runs the middle of both trends nicely. I've got everything from old blued rifles and shotguns with wooden stocks in traditional designs to a modern flat top AR15.

That doesn't surprise me too much really, because as I mentioned my favorite guns are old designs with modern conveniences, materials, and improvements.

I know a lot of traditionalists. Blued finish and wood stocks on long guns, blued 1911s and revolvers with wooden grips... and I have to admit it looks nice and rustic.

But I'm also well acquainted with people like a good friend of mine who likes black shiny plastic and wants everything to look like it belongs in a movie.

As I sit between the XD and the M1 Carbine, I straddle both worlds however. I guess appearance just doesn't matter as much to me.

Where are you on this spectrum?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I guess im more modern. I really like the lazer grip idea, tac lights ect. and am more of the Plastic kind of guy. But I also like some metal frames like the 1911. But being a "youngster" im more prone to choose a gun that tickles the sences. I really like S.W.A.T style tactical pistols and shotguns, but at the same time sometimes i feel like checking out an old revolver.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Very traditional. 1911 wood grips, M1carbine, M1 Garand, I like the older look.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I like blued guns for looks but prefer stainless or plastic guns for carry

I like especially the old School blued Guns the colt royal blue or the old stainless blued

I usually end up with Rubber Grips because they fit my hand the best

·
Registered
737 Posts
I like tradition, but also appreciate classy modern designs (SIG comes to mind). What I don't like are gimmicks of any kind or too much plastic.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I lvoe them both and would roll around in a pile of any vintage quality firearms if only it wouldnt scratch me up so bad!:embarassed:

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I guess I fit the classic tradition, however If someone were to give me a 'plastic' gun I would keep it around for a plinker so I could save the wear on my classics.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I guess I'm a mix. I'm a big fan of synthetic stocks on my waterfowl guns, all the other long guns wear wood. Handguns are a mix of blue/wood and stainless/rubber. At the end of the day, the lever rifles and the M1 give me a warm fuzzy that the duck guns just can't match.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Traditional 1911 platform with a hint of modern customizing, sites, dehorn, trigger, etc, for a better carry gun.

I am not much for the tactical plastic but I respect the reliability of them. but every now and then something comes along, like say! the XD 45 that has me giving it a good look and possibly a step closer to possibly someday picking one up! but I wouldn't bet on it.

Blued for the beauty and SS for carry.

Ti.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I love all guns, however, I'm partial to the shiny ones. So I'll take stainless steel over blued every time I'm given the option.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hmmm quite a mix here - but several folks I think I share ground with.

From an age standpoint very traditional - and this means mostly i guess older classic revo's etc. Plus too ''ol slabsides''.

From carry POV tho I come right into late 20th and early 21st centuries, whereby my choice is based on sound ergonomics, reliability and performance, coupled with capacity.

I am there fore a mix - aesthetics take me traditional but function over form brings me modern for carry. I want the best for my purpose regardless of age - it just happens to be modern.

I may even <cough> get a Glock eventually :18:

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I like both...traditional arms like the M1 and 1911, and new stuff also. My Rock River AR and DSA FAL, Benelli shotgun, and HK USPc are all enjoyable to handle and shoot.

If it's RELIABLE...I like it! :image035:

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
A bit of both. I like blued guns, own tactical hardware and gear (AR, HK ,tac vest, ect) Also wear a cowboy hat and carry SA sixguns sometimes.
I am not a shiny gun guy. Shiny reflects, which isn't good hunting or other applications.
I won polyer guns and traditional wood and steal too.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
and steal too.
Shucks Rocky - thought you paid for em all :eek:

J/K fella :18:

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
Traditionalist

Steel or steel/alloy guns (no polymer).

Wood stocks.

Leather holsters (no Kydex).

Lead or jacketed lead bullets.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Captain Crunch said:
Steel or steel/alloy guns (no polymer).

Wood stocks.

Leather holsters (no Kydex).

Lead or jacketed lead bullets.

Allright, Captain Crunch!!! Gotta respect a man who doesn't beat around the bush :hand10: :yup:

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Got the lever action 94, double barrel exposed hammers, and SS 1911. No plastic, Sounds traditional.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mixed

I suppose I fall in line like a lot of you. I love my XD but also enjoy shooting a .44 Ruger Super Blackhawk as well. I have a .38 revolver thats a fun one too. I suppose there's form and function to love about both.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts