Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife who does not like guns and I have been debating an incident that happened in the neighborhood between me and @OldChap. The details are:

I was running through ** **** park, and noticed a man and his wife with their dog ..they told me a tall white male teenager, with no shirt on, beat their dog(English Bulldog) with a skateboard, and then hit the man in the head. His head is bleeding and the kids on skateboards took off..they contacted the police. Description of person involved – Hair: Long, Top: No, Age: Teen, Build: Skinny, Race: White, Sex: Male
Now my wife who does not like guns says to me: "a person can kill you with a skate board." My response was: "In today's bizarro world, shooting a kid while he's trying to kill you with a skateboard can get you in a lot of trouble, but you're alive."

Now the neighborhood where we live is relatively quiet, with little crime compared to the big city, mostly auto-burglaries, burglaries, and some vandalism.

In Texas, a dog is considered property, even though us dog lovers think of them as family.

What would you do if you were walking your dog and this kid started the antics described above?

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Be friendly and smile, non confrontational if the kid is rowdy, if he tries to hurt me -stop him with the least amount of force I need to use.

I have a cat and we don’t go on walks together, so my method may not work for dog owners.

·
Registered
37,053 Posts
Without a doubt a skateboard can be a lethal weapon. No question about that.

As I was told by US Lawshield, "IN FL," a dog is considered property and cannot be defended with deadly force. However, he added, if the dog is on a leash in your hand and your dog is attacked, then the argument can be made you also were under attack.

In the OP it was stated the dog's owners was also struck with the skateboard. The gloves would have come off.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Young man with a weapon (skateboard) attacking my dog....verbal warning first or maybe I just pull out my OC and spray him. But dominate hand is on the gun. There is a potential disparity of force and he's using his skateboard as a weapon. Turns toward either my wife or I, he's looking down the barrel.....what happens next is up to him.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Since I am no longer a young man, the idea of putting the skate board where it doesn't show is out. That being said, the young man is not likely to reach my age if he doesn't immediately reverse course and git!!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
The reality is, that is quite the aggressive action. You don't know how dangerous the person with the skateboard is. Better to shoot and be safe instead of sorry.

The couple could have been easily killed had the attacker chosen to do so. It sounds like they had no means to do anything, or it happened so fast they didn't react.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
People tend to cross the street or give me a wide berth when I'm walking 1 or both dogs. I can't understand why. They're just rottweilers.

To answer the OP's question: I'd let go of the leash(es).

·
Registered
6,334 Posts
In CA dogs are considered property also. But on a leash, my dogs are so close to me that an attack on them is an attack on me!
And just remember this...
A few years back there was a trial that brought out 500 protesters. The guy was on trial for animal cruelty . But one floor up there was another trial for a guy accused of 37 cases of child molestation! And not one protester!
People get really worked up about their animals. DR

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
A dog in Wa is also considered property therefore you can use deadly force to protect it. Kid with a skate board I wouldn't shoot unless he blindsided me from behind. More than likely I'd get in close so he couldn't swing at me and do what's necessary. I've had a lot worse than skateboards swung at me. He more than likely won't be skateboarding ever again. Also if what ever I do to protect life and property or someone else's life and property is justifiable defense, no civil case can be brought against me. In addition, if the state brought charges against me and I was aquitted, the state must pay all court fees, my lawyer's fees and compensate me for my time and any related expenses. This discourages the state from filing frivolous charges.This state has some serious issues but it still, for now, has good self defense policies.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The situation could easily fall under the criteria of a "Robbery", I wouldn't want to be the test case but depending on your thoughts/fears at the time could qualify.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Some of you younger guys might consider going hand to hand in that situation, but for a lot of us that's not an option. If someone wants to attack me with a weapon I will use my weapon to defend myself. Isn't that why I have it? The fact that his wife was with him only makes self defense more important as it's not only himself he needs to protect.

·
Premium Member
7,794 Posts
There are no binary answers here. A skateboard wielded by a skinny teen. Does that put a reasonable person in fear of death or grave bodily injury? Depends.

But if you immediately draw and shoot because the guy bonks your dog, you're probably in for a heap of legal troubles.

·
Registered
37,053 Posts
There are no binary answers here. A skateboard wielded by a skinny teen. Does that put a reasonable person in fear of death or grave bodily injury? Depends.

But if you immediately draw and shoot because the guy bonks your dog, you're probably in for a heap of legal troubles.
The kid can always claim he was in fear of grave bodily injury from your dog...

·
Premium Member
7,794 Posts
The kid can always claim he was in fear of grave bodily injury from your dog...
My dog? A submissive 17 pound Boston Terrier whose only method of attack is rolling over and exposing her belly....not a chance.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts