Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work for a large international company. In regard to firearms on company property, the employee manual states ...

"No dangerous or illegal firearm is allowed on company property."

From what I gather, their intent is to bar weapons outright. However, I have not asked and I'm not sure I want to. How do you read this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
That sounds like as close to a "Don't ask, don't tell" policy as you can get.

I do NOT consider my firearm "dangerous," when carried responsibly, and it certainly isn't "illegal" as I do have a permit for it.

No, I don't think I'd ask them about it, either. Just keep the "concealed" concept close to your heart.

mm
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,483 Posts
"No dangerous or illegal firearm is allowed on company property."
How long is a piece of cord? :wink:

I will take this (to suit my purposes!) to be -

No firearm is allowed on company property if unsafe and/or not in the responsible possession of a legally permitted CCW

If they said ''NO WEAPONS'' - that might have a lot less leaway!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Haha - Mike snuck in just ahead of me LOL! Maybe too - that notice is just enough to keep the insurers happy :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,034 Posts
+1 on both............


Ti
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,087 Posts
Follow your states CCW rules and don't tell anyone at work. As long as no one see your gun at work, you will be OK.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
25,533 Posts
Ride4TheBrand said:
I work for a large international company. In regard to firearms on company property, the employee manual states ...
"No dangerous or illegal firearm is allowed on company property."
I don't know if it's pushing the envelope, but I would consider legal carry as being a legal firearm. As to dangerous, I wouldn't carry a weapon I consider a dangerous. I consider all my firearms as being safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
I used to work in my much younger days in a slaughtering plant. No firearms allowed but take a guess how many people on the floor used VERY sharp knives every day doing their job (over 5,000). Definitely don't ask don't tell!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
143,573 Posts
Just make sure that you take a SAFE and LEGAL firearm to work. :biggrin2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
Hey! Sounds like a great place to work.
I just "lost" my job working for a Boeing subsidiary where Firearms are banned. Not even allowed in employee vehicles "on the premises."
I'd carry if I worked where you work. That is, if you carry "legally, and safely".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,352 Posts
P95Carry said:
How long is a piece of cord? :wink:

I will take this (to suit my purposes!) to be -

No firearm is allowed on company property if unsafe and/or not in the responsible possession of a legally permitted CCW

If they said ''NO WEAPONS'' - that might have a lot less leaway!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Haha - Mike snuck in just ahead of me LOL! Maybe too - that notice is just enough to keep the insurers happy :wink:

i agree
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
988 Posts
I'll agree with the opinion put forth by the rest on this thread...

Don't ask, don't tell. Your firearm is neither dangerous nor is it illegal if you have the correct documentation. Carry and never tell.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see it like this:: NO firearm is dangerous in and of itself. People are dangerous.

As for the firearm being "illegal", the definition of such would fall under the appropriate state penal code.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,050 Posts
I would probably carry, however I would also understand that if found out I would be terminated under this clause or possibly another one they like better. It is up to lawyers and judges to determine what it means. You may or may not be able to win a judgement in a civil court after the dust settles, however you will still be unemployed.

My company has an equally ambiguous policy statement on "weapons". No unauthorized weapons on company property. They neglect to tell us who may authorize weapons per company policy. My manager says we are authorized. Do I know that won't hold up, sure I do. That's how it goes.

-Scott-
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,483 Posts
There's a handgun in my pants right now ... its neither dangerous nor illegal.
But - oh hmmm - nope, better not say anything or self ban might be in order :18:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
While there may be a defense to criminal prosecution with creative legal argument over "appropriate notice", and definition of property in the wording of the statement: "No dangerous or illegal firearm is allowed on company property." .
HOWEVER, in Texas where you are writing from, you could still be fired from your job due the company's interpretation of the manual and there is little you could do about it.
But-I am not a lawyer and you should seek legal advice from an attorney in this matter for a definitive answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Trainman said:
While there may be a defense to criminal prosecution with creative legal argument over "appropriate notice", and definition of property in the wording of the statement: "No dangerous or illegal firearm is allowed on company property." .
HOWEVER, in Texas where you are writing from, you could still be fired from your job due the company's interpretation of the manual and there is little you could do about it.
But-I am not a lawyer and you should seek legal advice from an attorney in this matter for a definitive answer.
Ahh.. there's the rub.

It's the company's intent to which we are responding to. While my employment might be in jeopardy based on their intent and interpretation of their own rule, the argument could be made that they were not completely definitive in their expectations.

Also, it is a union shop .. and though Texas falls under an "at will" employment situation, due cause for termination would have to be present, would it not?
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top