I'm all for stopping criminals, but there's a time and place for everything. Whether I took any specific steps to terminate the threat right then would depend on the particular circumstances, as always.
-You must feel as if your life or others is in danger
-You must attempt to avoid the danger
That goes for any and every instance of forced compliance, IMO, particularly when lethal weapons are in play.
Of course, as some have said, wouldn't it be great to know what was going to happen? Avoiding the danger of being killed would be easy, then. But, that's fantasy. Can't know what karma doesn't reveal, until it's revealed. Until then, you do the best you can with the knowledge and perception of chances as you're able.
When anyone starts trying to force me to do anything at gun point I am in danger.
Not knowing the outcome before the outcome I would determine the outcome myself when the opportunity presented itself.
That's pretty much it.
If there are a number of patrons in the store and only two visible felons, it's highly likely that they'd eject as soon as obtaining the goods. However, there are plenty of examples of crimes where the felons then decide to terminate everyone ... whether for kicks, for penalty of having "dissed" them or making things difficult for them, or simply to silence witnesses.
But it would depend on the specific circumstances and flow of the situation, for me.
Two felons can be taken out. But it wouldn't be easy.
There could be any number of factors that could complicate things and kill the probability of surviving:
- They could have armor;
- They could be skilled at moving fast like cats, or far more practiced than I;
- They could have other weapons than simply pistols;
- A full-auto SBR could be devastating at close quarters;
- A semi-auto 12ga shotgun with drum wouldn't be something I'd want to test my luck against. Pistols, perhaps. But, against a pair of these? Not likely.
- They could take down the lights and have low-light vision devices during the crime.
- One family member could be there, or the whole family. Would I be willing to risk failure and then termination of my whole family? Nope.
That all being said, I'd be paying attention. The moment when chances were that nobody was going to make it out alive (ie, being herded to the back), it's time to act.