Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened to me a couple of days ago, and I would like your opinions:

• 8 PM or so, dark and deserted freeway (two lanes each direction), rural area of North Carolina (77 SB above Statesville, if anyone is from that area);
  • My wife and I (both 'mature' in age) were in a '91 compact hatchback, covered with mud (the car, not us);
  • We were in the slow lane, with pretty light traffic, doing 65-70 (70 mph limit there);
  • I observed a fellow 1/8 mile or so ahead, traveling at normal speed, put on his 4-way flashers for 20-30 seconds then turn them off;
  • The fellow then began slowing down, perhaps by 10-15 mph;
  • I then tried to pass him, and he began to speed up, slightly behind me (preventing me from changing lanes, but not directly to my side);
  • Our speed was approaching 75, and I didn't want to go any faster;
  • I slowed down and the guy in the right lane slowed down, eventually the two of us doing perhaps 50 mph;
  • Dark full-size sedan, male driver, male in the back seat, presumably someone in the passenger seat to require soneone to sit in back;
  • The fellow in the back seat (illuminated by someone approaching in the fast-lane guy behind me) was pointing and gesturing with animation at the back right-hand corner of our car;
  • I accelerated to fair speed past them and pulled into the right lane;
  • The guy behind me passed us both;
  • The car with the multiple occupants fell back, then soon passed me at a fairly good clip;
  • I never saw either of these two cars again.
My wife was concerned about the car's roadworthiness, but there was no change in performance or handling to support the gestures we saw. I slowed down a bit, and we pulled into a busy and well-lit gas station at the next off ramp: no sign of any problem.

I was dubious about their sincerity based on the 4-way flasher episode before I appeared (they were doing something odd), and the speed-up-slow-down behavior: it seemed to me like a prelude to the 'get him to pull over then mug him' scenarios I've read about.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I was dubious about their sincerity based on the 4-way flasher episode before I appeared (they were doing something odd), and the speed-up-slow-down behavior: it seemed to me like a prelude to the 'get him to pull over then mug him' scenarios I've read about.

Thoughts?
Based on the actions you have described I'd say your assessment of their intention is likely correct. Glad you didn't give them the opportunity they were wanting.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
PM,

I assume you looked your car over later and nothing was wrong.
If that is the case, your situational awareness was likely right on point.

Good job!:congrats:

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
I think your "spidey senses" were exactly correct. Nice SA...Good job overall...

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Hey Paymeister: Reminds me of a recent "car jacking scam". You come out to your car and get inside and as you back out or look in your rear view mirror you see some kind of note attached to the rear window. Instinct would be to get out and see what it is all about---now the scam--your car is running and you have just left the driver's door opened---guess what? Based on your story, I think any forum posters who read your thread has learned something today. Talk about being vulnerable--get stuck on a highway in an express lane--until LEO comes along or you are CC, you are ready to be a victim. The shame of it is that there are a lot of nice people out there who may stop to assist you but the risk is too great for you to agree, unless you really can feel comfortable (???) with the person. If you are not CC you can at least tell the good samaritan (thru your locked door and closed windows) that you called LEO and they are only a mile away--might convince a perp to leave you alone

·
Registered
10,871 Posts
Based on the actions you have described I'd say your assessment of their intention is likely correct. Glad you didn't give them the opportunity they were wanting.
I'm agreeing with wmhawth on this one ;scammers looking to mess with someone

"The registration of all guns is ALWAYS a preparation for their confiscation."
Patrick and John Henry

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Dirtbags are everywhere with all kinds of predatory tricks...but you're still here to share your alertness.:congrats::hand10::bier:

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
!,001 Possibilities. You're under no obligation to stop for someone's 4 way flashers.

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
If it didn't feel right, it wasn't. We all have that instinctive quality, though I believe women have it more than us men. In fact, that's why it's pointless to ever lie to a woman.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I'm betting you assessed it right.

When your gut is telling you, listen to it... IMHO.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Good response. Kept your head and possibly your life.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Something like that happened in NW Arkansas several months back. A car with four guys in it indicated to a woman that whe had a low tire. When she pulled over to check it out they stopped too and tried to rob her. Fortunately, she had a CCW. WHen she pulled they ran like in a room full of cats. It could have ended badly for her.

I think you did the right things by following your gut.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Thoughts?
If I were to have been in that situation and seen what you did, I likely would have done much the same as you.

• I would know the occupants were high-risk people who were willing to screw with others on the highway, at high speeds.
  • I would assume the occupants were capable of anything, if they were the sort that got jollies from screwing with others on the highway.
  • I would probably have initially done what you did, to attempt to pass or stay away, in the end likely pulling off the highway to a well-lit area.
  • If in the middle of nowhere, though, where there aren't good places to stop, then there's always a choice of evils: my choice being whatever creates the greatest distance between me and the suspects.
  • I have no problems terminating the trip and going elsewhere, if it's feeling quite dangerous. I have had to shake a tail on a few occasions, due to low-grade screwing like this. Though, in this case, it doesn't seem like they escalated things very far.
  • Had they made contact (ramming) or it felt they were escalating dangerously, I would have broken contact as quickly as I was able, heading to a spot where I could best defend myself.
  • This is the sort of thing that can happen to anyone and is the major reason I carry everywhere. Crime can happen anytime, anywhere.

In the end, if you clearly are making space but they're clearly escalating, you defend against harm at the point it's no longer avoidable. Basic standards apply.

This is the sort of situation that I see occasionally when traveling. I frequently keep a rifle in the trunk to supplement my CHL/firearm, for just such occasions where distance might be an element if the suspects were to escalate.

Certainly, you assessed things correctly. They were screwing with you; willing to do so at high speed; and it was uncertain how threatening or deadly they would be willing to get. So, you do what you must until they either break off or you are forced to defend yourself. Pretty simple type of situation, actually, at least from the standpoint of choices.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
You did well.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Paymeister: Were you or your wife armed during this event?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Both of us were armed, and my wife was considering displaying her weapon but chose not to because of concerns about brandishing. To clarify, she was certainly not considering pointing it or finger-in-triggerguard, just a 'You boys sure you want to play?' wave.

I would love feedback on when to, for instance, hold up a pistol and wag a finger like the computer guy's 'wrong password' screen in Jurassic Park (think "Librarian") - if ever. Our understanding is that one doesn't do that 'til just prior to shooting, while being willing to break off the progression if the bad guy backs down, and that one should never display a weapon to send the message of 'leave me alone' if one is not at that moment in fear for one's life. We weren't in fear for our lives at that point. Well, maybe I was a little bit concerned, but that's not the same thing.

Comments? Any NC- or VA-specific comments would be appreciated as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Paymeister-
Thanks for sharing your experience. It's always good to see someone exercising good SA and then passing it on for the rest of us. There are a 101 scams out there. When I was a cop there was a rash of folks pretending to be cops so they could mug folks. We had a public bulletin out that told people not even to pull over for LEO on a dark deserted road. There are plenty of impostors out there. If you think it may be a cop, put on your flashers, pull onto the shoulder if you can, and then proceed slowly to the next public place. If they're a real cop they should understand. And if they don't, they can call in the cavalry and light up the road like a disco with cars and choppers. Then you'll know they're legit.

I was followed by some yeahoos in my wife's van once, guys driving pretty aggressively, slowing down, speeding up, passing, following closely, etc. I nearly pulled the pistol up to show, but thought better of it, what with brandishing laws, etc. Started to head to the police station, and they bugged out.

Stay safe out there!

Semper Fi

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
This happened to me a couple of days ago, and I would like your opinions:

• 8 PM or so, dark and deserted freeway (two lanes each direction), rural area of North Carolina (77 SB above Statesville, if anyone is from that area);
  • My wife and I (both 'mature' in age) were in a '91 compact hatchback, covered with mud (the car, not us);
  • We were in the slow lane, with pretty light traffic, doing 65-70 (70 mph limit there);
  • I observed a fellow 1/8 mile or so ahead, traveling at normal speed, put on his 4-way flashers for 20-30 seconds then turn them off;
  • The fellow then began slowing down, perhaps by 10-15 mph;
  • I then tried to pass him, and he began to speed up, slightly behind me (preventing me from changing lanes, but not directly to my side);
  • Our speed was approaching 75, and I didn't want to go any faster;
  • I slowed down and the guy in the right lane slowed down, eventually the two of us doing perhaps 50 mph;

so far...this is pretty usual behaviour for florida driving...nobody knows what cruise control is and you find yourself sandwiched between cars driving below the speed limit daily...
  • Dark full-size sedan, male driver, male in the back seat, presumably someone in the passenger seat to require soneone to sit in back;
  • The fellow in the back seat (illuminated by someone approaching in the fast-lane guy behind me) was pointing and gesturing with animation at the back right-hand corner of our car;

hes saying...sam...look at that old 91...i had one just like it...speed up again so i can get a better look at it...i am not sure if he was gesturing to you or not by your description...
  • I accelerated to fair speed past them and pulled into the right lane;
  • The guy behind me passed us both;
  • The car with the multiple occupants fell back, then soon passed me at a fairly good clip;
  • I never saw either of these two cars again.
My wife was concerned about the car's roadworthiness, but there was no change in performance or handling to support the gestures we saw. I slowed down a bit, and we pulled into a busy and well-lit gas station at the next off ramp: no sign of any problem.

Thoughts?
they never made any aggressive moves or blew the horn to get your attention and maybe get you to stop...dont you think they would have if their intent was to rob or hurt you?...

it isnt likely they are going to target a 91 vehicle for the wealth of the occupants...

maybe they were screwing with you but again did not do anything aggressive or threatening...

displaying a firearm in this case might have landed you in jail...in a case where aggressive behavior wwas displayed its would still be a maybe...there was never a viable threat to your safety other than you may have had someone screwing with you...

if they were thieves i'm guessing they arent very successful ones if thats all it took for them to give up...

keep your doors locked and travel safe...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts