Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my concealed carry permit about a week ago, and I'm still getting used to carrying in public. It occurred to me that I might want to check out the 'net for concealed carry forums, so I googled the topic. Defensivecarry.com was number one on Google, so I started there. Or here, as the case is now.

I'm not at all new to firearms. I grew up in Texas and guns were just something that were always there. But my experience actually getting to shoot them was rather sporadic until I joined the Army way back in 1975. I qualified "Expert" on the M16. I got to where I loved that rifle. During Basic, it was an extension of me. But only rarely seen once I reached my permanent duty station (I drove trucks).

Firearms were a very minor part of my life after the military -- until Bill Clinton was elected president, at which point I began to buy all that I could afford. Within a couple years period of time, I had amassed a large gun safe full of firearms, and used most of them on a regular basis. I've never done much hunting. But I do enjoy going to the range and punching holes in paper targets. I got into reloading, both as a means of saving some money and as a way of improving my accuracy and precision at the range.

These days, I don't get out to the range as often, but when I do, I divide my time approximately equally between shooting long guns and hand guns. I've always been a good shot -- especially with long guns. With hand guns, I consider myself to be a bit better than "adequate." Like punching a 4" hole with my 1911A1 at 10 yards, shooting two-handed.

Since first learning about concealed carry in Texas several years ago, I've thought about getting a permit, but I put it off. Until earlier this year, when I finally did something about it and took the class, then applied for the permit. I bought my Ruger SR9c specifically for concealed carry. I feel it's probably about as large a gun that one would want to use for concealed carry. Actually putting it on and walking outside the door with it was a strange feeling. I could feel it on my hip, of course, but it was a new feeling, and it's taken some getting used to. Even more important, though, is the responsibility I also feel. Fortunately, this was a topic dealt with at some length in the concealed carry class I took. But I don't think it was enough. Which is a big reason why I'm here at this forum. I want to educate myself on the topic and train more on the tactical aspect of concealed carry. I have questions, and I hope that I'll be able to find answers for them here.

So, I look forward to seeing y'all on the boards. Glad to be here.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin, Cooltouch!

I applaud your desire to learn as much as you can about carrying a firearm Even at my age I still learn something new each day. If I don't I feel something is missing.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Welcome to Defensive Carry :wave: The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Welcome...

from Central Florida!

RET :31:

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Howdy from TEXAS, where the west begins. Welcome to the forum.
Glad you could join us. Pull up a chair and sit a spell.

Several other members out you way.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
Greetings.jpg
Welcome !!!!

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Welcome from the NE corner of Harris County, Texas

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
A warm Texas Welcome to ya. Enjoy your time at D.C..com. You are among good people here. :image035:

·
Registered
559 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts