Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Anybody tried these? Gun I'll be testing them in is a Beretta PX4 Storm full size.

I'm a little leary, tried the 60 gr Liberty Civil Defense and had a FTE issue after the 6th round fired of rapid firing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
348 Posts
60 gran in a .40S&W? That seems like its a tad light to me for that caliber. I try to stick to standard bullet weights. 155 gr. and 180 gr. for the .40 cartridge.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, 60 grain nickel plated copper hollow point. Lol.

That's what I thought too. As you can see on the box, they're fast little boogers at 2000 FPS.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess this is my last resort on ultralight ammo with these 105 grain HPR black ops rounds. I could of just had a squib round when I shot the Liberty's but, I haven't had a single issue with all the other ammo I've shot and that's been Hornady, Winchester and Federal.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I carry a .40 because I can use 180gr. I always go with the heavier bullet design for that specific caliber.
Why's that? Right now my carry ammo is the 165 grain Critical Defense by Hornaday. I figure that's a good median between knockdown power when it gets there and how fast it gets there for a non frangible bullet.

I liked my gun being a lot lighter too with 18 of them in there.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I know a guy that ankle carries a G27 with the Liberty ammo for the weight savings. If you're already carrying a full size pistol, I don't think weight is an issue with the right gear, unless you have a health issue that would restrict things. For me at least, a 92FS with 16rds of 147gr on board is no harder to carry than my P239 with 8 rds of 125gr 357Sig.

Unless I absolutely needed the weight savings, or wall penetration was a concern, I'd stick with conventional bullet weights.

Reactions: ca survivor

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HPR Black Ops 40 S&W 105 gr.

I know a guy that ankle carries a G27 with the Liberty ammo for the weight savings. If you're already carrying a full size pistol, I don't think weight is an issue with the right gear, unless you have a health issue that would restrict things.
Well, I haven't carried my Beretta directly on me for a full day yet because I haven't had a conceal carry holster yet and I refuse to carry it openly so, I've yet to find out whether lighter ammo will make much of s difference or not. But I will say though, 18 rounds of 60 grain Liberty's was significantly lighter than the regular ole 180 grain hollowpoint Hornadys. I never weighed it for exact number of weight loss but, it was quite a bit lighter. I figgered it up where three of the Libertys weighed the same as one 180 grainer.
For me at least, a 92FS with 16rds of 147gr on board is no harder to carry than my P239 with 8 rds of 125gr 357Sig.
That's good to hear.
Unless I absolutely needed the weight savings, or wall penetration was a concern, I'd stick with conventional bullet weights.
See, that's my primary fear, especially with a 40, is over penetration. I dunno, I'm probably gonna have this concern with whatever i shoot.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Why's that? Right now my carry ammo is the 165 grain Critical Defense by Hornaday. I figure that's a good median between knockdown power when it gets there and how fast it gets there for a non frangible bullet.

Worried about them ducking.............:biggrin2:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I am suspicious of any product that is advertised as "black ops"...and I am curious as to exactly why 40 caliber defensive ammunition is tied in to "black ops". If it is marketed with a gimmick, how much of it's design is actually a gimmick?

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just get a Glock 23 and save 4 ounces. :)
Why a full size handgun if weight is a concern?
I don't do guns that don't have an external safety and strictly rely on a trigger safety.

Because when I bought this gun I didn't have intentions of conceal carrying at all. Lol.

Besides, weight really isn't that much of a concern but, I these rounds fire good and don't cause issues, I would like to cut down a little bit on weight if I can.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I thought the full size PX4 in .40 only held 14 rounds per mag? I know the 9mm version is 17+1, unless you are using a base plate that gives you added capacity. Or a Mec-Gar mag.

I carry a SIG P229 loaded with 165 gr. Rangers at the moment, and don't have an issue with the weight. What kind of belt are you using? A good gun belt makes a world of difference.

I think my next ammo purchase is going to be some Underwood 180 gr. Gold Dots.

Have you looked into Barnes ammo or a manufacture that uses the Barnes solid copper bullet? I think they come in 125 and 140 grain bullets. Just another option to think about.

·
Registered
953 Posts

Knockdown power... in handgun calibers... umm.... OK.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Besides, weight really isn't that much of a concern but, I these rounds fire good and don't cause issues, I would like to cut down a little bit on weight if I can.
Now, if that isn't a contradiction, dunno what is.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought the full size PX4 in .40 only held 14 rounds per mag? I know the 9mm version is 17+1, unless you are using a base plate that gives you added capacity. Or a Mec-Gar mag.

I carry a SIG P229 loaded with 165 gr. Rangers at the moment, and don't have an issue with the weight. What kind of belt are you using? A good gun belt makes a world of difference.

I think my next ammo purchase is going to be some Underwood 180 gr. Gold Dots.

Have you looked into Barnes ammo or a manufacture that uses the Barnes solid copper bullet? I think they come in 125 and 140 grain bullets. Just another option to think about.
It does, I have an extended magazine.

I ordered a belt from Alien Gear to go with the holster I ordered from them.

Haven't heard of those.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HPR Black Ops 40 S&W 105 gr.

Knockdown power... in handgun calibers... umm.... OK.
You don't like my choice of words? So I didn't use the term muzzle energy, sue me.
Now, if that isn't a contradiction, dunno what is.
Well, now that you updated your post, how was what I said confusing to you? Like I said before and I'll say it again, no, ammo weight isn't a major concern but I would like to cut down on some weight of I could of possible.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I don't do guns that don't have an external safety and strictly rely on a trigger safety.

So no revolvers? :)

Because when I bought this gun I didn't have intentions of conceal carrying at all. Lol.

That I understand. Okay, was wondering. Thank you.

They seem expensive to just use for saving weight. Did they pass the FBI test? I'll have to check youtube.

·
Banned
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So no revolvers? :)
I don't mind revolvers..lol. I just don't trust trigger safeties on semi-autos. If it's too hard or too long of a pull, it makes it hard to shoot and if it's too soft then it makes negligent discharges a lot more easier to do. "Glock leg" was aptly named..lol.

They seem expensive to just use for saving weight. Did they pass the FBI test? I'll have to check youtube.
They were fairly expensive, a lot more than the Critical Defense Hornaday's and even the Libery 60 grainers I tried before but, the Federal HST's were the most expensive yet.

As far as these Black Ops rounds passing FBI tests, I don't know about that one.

After I try these I have a feeling the Federals and the Critical Defense will probably be my primary carry and home defense rounds.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts