Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Florida is vulnerable to this Hurricane coming Sunday people Need to Remember...You Loot, We Shoot. Just a reminder to the low brow people who think they can capitalize on whatever happens. Not a Good choice if you want to have a Future.....Period.

·
Registered
34,693 Posts
I intend to shake my finger vigorously at any looters and say shame on you!

·
Registered
8,555 Posts
I think Florida is a lovely state. I have lived there. But I have a rule. I will stay in a place that has had a natural disaster, maybe two. But if there is a potential for the same natural disaster, the same time, every year, not so much. But that's just me.

·
Registered
34,693 Posts
I think Florida is a lovely state. I have lived there. But I have a rule. I will stay in a place that has had a natural disaster, maybe two. But if there is a potential for the same natural disaster, the same time, every year, not so much. But that's just me.
Not the sporting type, eh?

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Its only a cat 1 ..Having lived in the South we dont painc for anything less that at min cat 3 +

·
Registered
8,555 Posts
No guts? Try Texas!
I have. I had to evacuate from Houston just ahead of Hurricane Ike. Ten hours, bumper-to-bumper on I-45 to get to Dallas. I had to try three stations to finally find gas. If I hadn't, I would't have made it.

So between that, and the fact that TX is the #1 destination for California expats, it's off my list too. It's a shame. I really liked Ft. Worth!

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
I've been unusually lucky, natural disaster wise. I lived in west Texas for 4 years and never saw a tornado. We were there when Wichita Falls was practically blown off the map, but that's was pretty far from Lubbock.
Lived in Tampa for 4 years and never had any damage from a hurricane (except a small roof blown off our lanai).
Lived in Japan and experienced many earthquakes...no damage whatsoever, and one was a "7".

I hope my luck holds out.

·
Registered
34,693 Posts
I haven't experienced a tornado and can take a pass on that altogether. I never even pulled tornado watch while at Chanute AFB.

My first hurricane was Cleo on Miami in '64. I was twelve and can remember the wind howling and water flooding in under our front door. Our house didn't suffer any damage, but a tree next door fell across our neighbor's beautiful '64 T-Bird. The Australian firs along the canal across the street were lying everywhere. Too many have run over me since 2004. Kind of getting old. But three's always something no matter where one goes, so I'll just deal with what nature throws at me.

·
Registered
5,985 Posts
I'm with WrongRecroom.
On the scale of importance, Floridians rank a cat 1 somewhere below a sale on Publix subs.
That holds true for native Floridians or those who lived there prior Hurricane Andrew, however a lot of the transplants from up North in the past 10 years or so not so much!

Reactions: hogdaddy

·
Registered
34,693 Posts
I just took a cruise around the 'hood to see how many homes were paneled up. I would say about 40% have sealed up. It seems like if one house on a street did, the others followed suit, while on the next block hardly no one has. I did because I didn't buy them just to take up garage space, and once the winds pick up, handling panels can get tricky.

And some of the newer home apparently have opted for "hurricane-resistant" windows in lieu of the required storm panels as required by new home code. Personally, I'd rather replace a battered storm panel than a busted (and expensive) hurricane window. I do intend to pick up a few transparent panels sometime. The darkness gets old in a hurry.

·
Registered
34,693 Posts
First rain bands have started hitting here. They all but drained the canal behind my house this week, a usual practice for these things, but it was almost back to normal level earlier today, and I don't know why as we've had no rain this week.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Keep yer powder dry.

Reactions: hogdaddy

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's all good. I store it in the bourbon bunker.
Just put up the boards on the front windows only and left the rest of the house open untill tomorrow to see what develops. Yes, Hate the dark house but glass is expensive and so are those "Bullet Proof" windows. Been in Fl since `74 and have ridden out them all. Charley was the worst as the Eye was 1 mile away and we were on the east side and the neighborhood got ripped!. 90% of the damage was from falling trees on houses and cars. Good Luck OldVet,Stay Safe!.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts