Defensive Carry banner

Hydra Shocks for my 1911s.

1K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Kilowatt3 
#1 ·
Found some Hydra Shocks for 27/box. Was after some 38 ammo and found they had these in stock. White boxes, 50 rounds, 230 grain standard pressure. Not HST, but these days you take what you can get.

Yeah, they are an old design, plug up with clothes, and generally suck.

To me, that logic ranks with the contention that the 1911 will get you killed. I suspect they would work well.

To be honest, I was glad to find 'em. Seems like any decent ammo is tough to get. A guy can find ball, but carry ammo is really hard to come by.

Was glad to find the 38 ammo as well (Gold Dot 135+P). I am about to pick up my new 442.

#3 ·
Even if they do plug, it's still just as good as ball, which in a .45 is pretty good. Massad Ayoob says Hydra-Shok is still a good choice in .45 (less so in other calibers), and you can do a lot worse than listening to him.

#5 ·
Found some Hydra Shocks for 27/box. Was after some 38 ammo and found they had these in stock. White boxes, 50 rounds, 230 grain standard pressure. Not HST, but these days you take what you can get.

Lots of people who were shot with .45 Hydra Shoks would disagree with that, but they're not able to cast votes any more.

That load may not be the absolute best in penetrating intermediate barriers, but it is one round with a very good track record. I'm happy to have 'em in every .45 in the house.

#6 ·
I disagree. Lots of BGs over the years would attest to the round's effectiveness, if they weren't dead. And depending on how your 1911 likes the modern big-mouth hollow-points, the Hydrashock might work better for you.

BTW, that's a sweet price - sounds like remnants of an LE order. I normally see .45 HS for ~$36-38/50.

#7 ·
I am very comfortable having Hydra-Shok 230 gr. in my 45.
That's what is in my 36 now.
I had an older box of Hydra-Shok and a newer box of Hydra-Shok "tactical", could see no difference in them.
Chrono average within 1 fps for 5 shots, 831 fps from the Glocks short barrel.

#8 ·
I've used the Hydra-shok in 45acp, 38sp, and 9mm with good results from all of them. That is what is in both my 9mm and my 38 right now. My 45 currently has Winchester PDX 230grn because it was the only thing available when I needed it.

The only one I've used on a live target is the 9mm on a coyote and it dropped him like a rock. Broke the left shoulder and was found just under the skin near the 3rd rib on the right side. Bullet was intact with a lopsided expansion to about .58 inch.

Just my two bits worth.

#10 ·
I really need to stop reading .45 related threads.

After shooting my neighbor's XDS, admiring the gargantuan holes in the targets, and realizing that my .38 158's can only aspire to be the Volkswagens that exit the business end of a .45, I really want one of these weapons for self defense.

Yes, I am very confident in the .38. But I've yet to find anything not to like about the .45.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.