Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've read quite a bit about this ammunition, is it as good as I've heard. Has anyone here had FTF or FTE problems with it, if so what weapon were you using. I just want to know if I should invest, in some or stay with my 147gr silvertips. Also any other suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've never been a big fan of them I think most of the hype over them was do to their use in law enforcement, it is a bullet so it will punch holes. The silvertips are a good round however the muzzle flash in low light is pretty large. Winchester makes the XST I believe and the remington golden sabers have a much smaller muzzle flash, I carry the Remington GS 147 gr. in my 9's.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
I use the low recoil/ low flash hyrashocks in my 1911. seem to work fine. i have used em for years with no problems and never heard of any , even while they were in widespread use by LE.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I think they are a good round but to some extent old technology.

All I mean by that is that since the long time they have been around, other manufacturers have come out with other options. I these days choose Speer GD's over H-Shocks but if that was all I had, and still do have some left - would not feel overly disadvantaged!

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
hydro's are good ammo. it was our issue ammo for years. still carry the hydro +p+ in my 38sp s&w model 60 (issue ammo). never had any problems with the 9mm, 40 cal and 45 acp hydro's.

·
Registered
602 Posts
ENSANE1970 said:
I've read quite a bit about this ammunition, is it as good as I've heard. Has anyone here had FTF or FTE problems with it, if so what weapon were you using. I just want to know if I should invest, in some or stay with my 147gr silvertips. Also any other suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

I load my .40 caliber G23 and G27 with Federal Personal Defense Ammo. I find followup shots are very much on target.

FastDraw:wave:

·
Registered
141 Posts
FastDraw said:

I load my .40 caliber G23 and G27 with Federal Personal Defense Ammo. I find followup shots are very much on target.

FastDraw:wave:
"FOLLOWUP SHOTS" are up to the Indian...they have nothing to do with the arrow.:smoker:

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've used hydrashoks in almost every handgun I have. Never had any problem with them. I prefer the low flash/recoil version personally. If they cycle reliably through whatever you carry then go for it. I'd say any premium ammo that is reliable in your gun is plenty accptable for carry ammunition.

·
Registered
753 Posts
CACCW said:
Here is a link to a basllistic study on defensive rounds - features the Federal HST bullet in comparison with Win Ranger t and Rem Goldensaber

http://le.atk.com/pdf/Pierce County Workshop.pdf

Note that some of the Test guns were 1911s.

Federal Tactical Law Enforcement is legal and available to the public. Try Streichers.com or Ammoman.com

Enjoy
Very interesting. After looking over the stats, it appears the Hydra Shock 230 gr. .45 is a dang good round!

Glad I got some in my Kimber even as I type ;)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Ride4TheBrand said:
After looking over the stats, it appears the Hydra Shock 230 gr. .45 is a dang good round!
I dont mean to burst your bubble but those are stats for the HST not the Hydrashok.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Tried Hydroshocks in my Commander but had a FTF every few magazines. Switched to Gold Dots and have had no problems. Different guns have different preferences it seems.

Eric

·
Registered
13 Posts
My G19 feeds everything I've thrown at it. Shot placement is everything, of course, but I carry either Hydras or Gold Dots, usually Hydras. I practice frequently with what I carry, and Hydras are cheap enough and available everywhere. I don't know if the center post design really helps anything, but it used by all kinds of LEA's.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Ride4TheBrand said:
Very interesting. After looking over the stats, it appears the Hydra Shock 230 gr. .45 is a dang good round!

Glad I got some in my Kimber even as I type ;)
The HS 230 gr is an excellent round.

·
Registered
140 Posts
ENSANE1970 said:
Yes. My Hi-Point CF380 absolutely refuses to feed Hydra-Shoks. Then again, it refuses most JHP's. However, it was/is my 'learnin gun, and has been repeatedly messed up by yours truly, trying something out, before it gets tried on the carry guns....

(My favorite, was learning why not to use a dremel to polish the feed ramp! -- BUT it refused JHP's well before that)

Anyhoo, I rather like the HS'es. My wife carries them in her .357Mag, and loves them too :)

(I don't need to hear about how horrible everyone thinks the hi-point is, by the way, or, whatever 'well of course it doesent' that may be coming my way.)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PgSqlQuery said:
Yes. My Hi-Point CF380 absolutely refuses to feed Hydra-Shoks. Then again, it refuses most JHP's. However, it was/is my 'learnin gun, and has been repeatedly messed up by yours truly, trying something out, before it gets tried on the carry guns....

(My favorite, was learning why not to use a dremel to polish the feed ramp! -- BUT it refused JHP's well before that)

Anyhoo, I rather like the HS'es. My wife carries them in her .357Mag, and loves them too :)

(I don't need to hear about how horrible everyone thinks the hi-point is, by the way, or, whatever 'well of course it doesent' that may be coming my way.)

It's not just hi-points, I had a Bersa .380 thunder, that didn't like jhp's, they seemed to knick the feed ramp, causing stovepipe issues. Did the dremel trick also, to remove the burrs, weapon was fine as long as I was using ball ammo, go back to the jhp's knicks again in the feed ramp. I loved the little gun so I tried new mags etc etc.....unfortunatly nothing worked. As for Hi-point weapons, from what I've heard, not that bad a weapon, I don't own one so I can't say first hand.

·
Banned
189 Posts
Used to use them in my Taurus PT92 up to the day I sold it and my XD-40 is loaded with them right now. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
140 Posts
ENSANE1970 said:
It's not just hi-points, I had a Bersa .380 thunder, that didn't like jhp's, they seemed to knick the feed ramp, causing stovepipe issues. Did the dremel trick also, to remove the burrs, weapon was fine as long as I was using ball ammo, go back to the jhp's knicks again in the feed ramp. I loved the little gun so I tried new mags etc etc.....unfortunatly nothing worked. As for Hi-point weapons, from what I've heard, not that bad a weapon, I don't own one so I can't say first hand.
Hmm, is that the Thunder 380, or one of the older models, i.e. 85/95/etc?

My Bersa T380 has 0 problems with HS's.....

Then again, so does my neighbor's hi-point.... :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been using the 230grHS rounds in my Glock 21 since 92 and have never had one FTF or FTE.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
PgSqlQuery said:
Hmm, is that the Thunder 380, or one of the older models, i.e. 85/95/etc?

My Bersa T380 has 0 problems with HS's.....

Then again, so does my neighbor's hi-point.... :)

No this one was a Thunder .380, that hated JHP's. Although guns are like cars sometimes you get a bad one. Maybe in my case something was not aligned correctly, that I didn't see. I've been pondering the idea of buying another one, just to see if I happened to get a bad one. In all honesty I miss that gun, it was a real sweet shooter other than the JHP issue, I had no problems with it. Bottom line typing this I'm missing it:stups:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts