Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Not for me, you all, for my polymer framed pistols. I've been giving the polymer frames on my Glock and XD a wipe down with a cotton patch dampened with Simple Green. This does a great job of removing skin oil gunk and powder residue, but leaves a bit of a film. My question is, would it be OK to wipe down these polymer frames with a 50/50 solution of distilled water and alcohol? Or is there a better overall solution (no pun intended) out there? Let me know... Thanks.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
CLP works wonders. It's all my Glocks see.

·
Administrator
143,950 Posts
The Glock polymer frames are extremely solvent resistant.
No problem at all with Alcohol.

QKShooter Insta-Test - I just wiped my entire Glock frame down with an old washcloth soaked/saturated with straight 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. - No reaction - ZIP - nada - no problem.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
My Glock frames get over spray sometimes and I wipe them down. I don't see why any dish washing detergent and water would hurt on a washcloth. I use a dry toothbrush for the nooks and crannies on mine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll go with the 50/50 distilled water and alcohol, wipe and toothbrush idea.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not to start any flame war, but when the Glock came out, wasn't it called the dishwasher safe gun?

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Not to start any flame war, but when the Glock came out, wasn't it called the dishwasher safe gun?
Not that I remember, but it was called 'tupperware'. Wouldn't suggest putting it in the microwave though.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not that I remember, but it was called 'tupperware'. Wouldn't suggest putting it in the microwave though.
Is okay to put in the microwave without the bullets? :rofl:

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Is okay to put in the microwave without the bullets? :rofl:
Just the receiver (lower), and preferably with a baked potato on the side.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
I remember that too. :yup:

In fact I knew of one gal that cleaned her Glock by putting it in the dishwasher. No, I'm not kidding.

Biker

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
you can leave the Glock in a single piece. Just be ready to get another microwave.

·
Registered
82 Posts
For CLP, I do not use it on any thing that is not metal. The fact is the teflon in it is a fine abrasive and oil breaks down plastic and rubber compounds over time. I personally would not recommend it. There are many type gun cleaners designed for this type of application. When in dout use dishsoap and water.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
For CLP, I do not use it on any thing that is not metal. The fact is the teflon in it is a fine abrasive and oil breaks down plastic and rubber compounds over time. I personally would not recommend it. There are many type gun cleaners designed for this type of application. When in dout use dishsoap and water.
Can you provide any documentation on this?

I've had Glock employees recommend Breakfree CLP.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts