Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So in my state you need to complete a course. Be background checked. Then pay to get the states approval. After this you can carry open or concealed.

If say a person has completed the course. And been background checked. What would happen if they decided not to pay for the permission portion? If on the rare chance caught carrying without a license but having met all the requirements besides paying for the permission portion what do you think a judge would say?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok. So in my state you need to complete a course. Be background checked. Then pay to get the states approval. After this you can carry open or concealed.

If say a person has completed the course. And been background checked. What would happen if they decided not to pay for the permission portion? If on the rare chance caught carrying without a license but having met all the requirements besides paying for the permission portion what do you think a judge would say?

The judge would say, "lock him up!"

·
Registered
280 Posts
I completed my driver's course, passed the eye exam, passed the written exam, passed the practical driver's test with the examiner, but my license has not been issued awaiting my payment. I got stopped by a trooper who asked for my driver's license...

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
In North Carolina you do not pass GO, you go to jail and you do not collect $200 for passing GO. You are much better paying the fee to the master and receive the permission slip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I completed my driver's course, passed the eye exam, passed the written exam, passed the practical driver's test with the examiner, but my license has not been issued awaiting my payment. I got stopped by a trooper who asked for my driver's license...
Slightly different arguement as driving isn't a right. Hence the permission part.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts

I notice you asked a specific question based on state law and didn't provide the state. Isn't it a bit presumptuous of you not to provide the state, link or quote state law and then ask such a question?

I could search on which states require a permit to open carry, such as Texas. Why not call the state police at your location and ask them what would be the penalty if you took courses, passed background and then didn't have a permit?

What is the reason you asked or is this not a question you have but someone else who you wish to perhaps bait?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I notice you asked a specific question based on state law and didn't provide the state. Isn't it a bit presumptuous of you not to provide the state, link or quote state law and then ask such a question?

I could search on which states require a permit to open carry, such as Texas. Why not call the state police at your location and ask them what would be the penalty if you took courses, passed background and then didn't have a permit?

What is the reason you asked or is this not a question you have but someone else who you wish to perhaps bait?
Sorry it's TN

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Depends on what State you live in.

He might say, "Now lets see if I understand, you want to carry a gun, you want people to respect your right to carry under the 2nd amendment and the laws of your state, but you have chosen to do this without honoring your state laws by not paying the fee?" Wait, I see you did all the work to be able to carry, background check, classes, but ....you chose not to pay the fee completing the entire process so you could carry legally?" :banghead:

Why would you risk never ever being allowed the right to carry, ever?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's just an interesting point of view. I kinda see where he is coming from. Having to ask permission and pay a tax to exercise a right. But also i have to argue. Most people don't have to be background checked for their jobs. In my understanding the fee is just to pay for the checks for verification is all.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts

You would be breaking the law, and run the risk of being the poster child for all that is perceived as being bad about gun owners.

Reactions: rcsoftexas

·
Registered
280 Posts
Forgive me for the constitutional slip of mind. My point is, as are most things in our country, its the money. I thought that was the point I was trying to make. Sorry the implication (inference?) was lost.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I think the answer is more about any given state's procedure rather weather a concealed carry permit is a right or a privilege.

The typical procedure in most states that are "shall issue" normally goes something like:

1. You complete X number of hours of qualification by a certified firearms instructor. It consists of some classroom and some live fire.

2. Upon successful completion, you go to local law enforcement, usually your county sheriff. There, you present your qualification certificate to a clerk who FIRST collects a fee for your permit.

3. Once you have a PAID receipt from a clerk, the sheriff begins processing your application. This includes finger prints that are sent to NICS and any other POC, local and federal background checks etc.

The procedure may be a bit different from state to state but I can almost guarantee you that you will not be able to proceed to step 3 before completing step 2.

"May Issue" states are abnormal and complicate the process. Even in those states, I am fairly confident that you will not proceed to any time spent by a LEO to process your application before you pay first.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
No right comes without responsibilities.

For now, the citizens have determined that the state government can dictate exactly what those responsibilities shall include.

Reactions: Truckinbutch

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Why would someone go thru with what this "Other Person " did and not pay for the license to carry . You pay for the course , the back ground check , the handgun , the ammo to become proficient and stop there , that's just foolish taking a chance to loose the right to own a firearm or the right to vote with what would be a felony record attached to your name when you are caught .

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hypothetically, any and all restrictions placed on the acquisition, ownership, or carrying of firearms by any government entity, federal, state, or local, are direct violations of the 2nd Amendment. In reality, most of those restrictions have stood up to legal challenge. So, unless you have pockets deep enough to retain a battery of dream-team lawyers to fight this all the way to the Supreme Court and a willingness to accept the fact that you'll probably still lose and face criminal penalties, it's a battle best avoided.

The above should not be considered legal advice, I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the ABA.

·
Registered
63 Posts
In Texas it is a 3rd degree felony if you are caught without a permit except on your own property that includes your vehicle. Or if you belong to a gun club and on their property or on a firing range

ec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view, unless the person is licensed to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and the handgun is carried in a shoulder or belt holster; or
(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating;
(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.
(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.
(a-3) For purposes of this section, "watercraft" means any boat, motorboat, vessel, or personal watercraft, other than a seaplane on water, used or capable of being used for transportation on water.
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

Reactions: PFranklin
1 - 20 of 30 Posts