1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I don't engage in activities that would merit a no-knock, so anyone busting into my home are violent criminals. One on five is a tough one, regardless of circumstances.
I understand and agree, we don't either. However...
There are a number of cases of wrong address on the warrant. The other thing I've wondered about over the years is who lived in the house before me. That said, it doesn't keep me up at night.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I understand and agree, we don't either. However...
There are a number of cases of wrong address on the warrant. The other thing I've wondered about over the years is who lived in the house before me. That said, it doesn't keep me up at night.
This happens, it happed to me with my first house, officers came to arrest the previous owner.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
This happens, it happed to me with my first house, officers came to arrest the previous owner.
Must have been just a bit tense for a while! Good thing it wasn't a 3AM no knock raid.

·
Premium Member
37,593 Posts
Stacked and knocking down doors?

·
Registered
7,400 Posts
Caption on one of the pics says they were there to steal drugs and drug proceeds. Definitely not on my list of things to worry about.
Frequenting gun shops can bring negative attention from bad actors.

Guns and ammo can trigger a home invasion just as fast as cash or the yayo.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Frequenting gun shops can bring negative attention from bad actors.

Guns and ammo can trigger a home invasion just as fast as cash or the yayo.
Heck with prices for groceries nowadays a full cart could bring unwanted attention. I'm still not worried.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
As I have mentioned before, I live in a cartel controlled neighborhood. If anything crazy like that happens, I have a simple plan. Get to the basement, with haste. I really do think that a fake raid would end up with multiple cartel "soldiers" in my, very small, house. I forsee that calling for an inordinate number of bullet hole repairs.

Problems like that are something I sometimes think about, but really, it is a weirdly quiet and polite neighbourhood. However, I don't wat a bunch of their "soldiers" holding a gunfight in my house. First, not my circus, not my monkeys (I said that to a visiting ranking member of the local controlling cartel, he just laughed and said that was the attitude that he was asking for). Second, I don't want to owe that crowd anything. But like I said, it is a weirdly quiet and polite neighbourhood.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
This probably sounds stupid, but I filed three letters with local authorities a few years back, one with the Mayor's office, one with the police department, and a third with the sheriff's department.

In all three letters, I respectfully requested they simply give me a call, that I'd be happy to cooperate, etc., as any sort of no-knock warrant, whether justified or in error, would likely result in this here law-abiding citizen thinking it was a criminal break-in, no matter what they were saying or wearing, and I would not have either the time nor training to differential between a legitimate no-knock warrant and a criminal break-in, would fear for my life, feel compelled to use deadly force to defend myself, etc., so by all means PLEASE CALL as I wasn't going anywhere, happy to cooperate, etc.

Two responded, saying they would make every effort to call.

I cannot imagine any police force, however, having the manpower to handle such requests from even a tenth of the population, though.

Once I realized that, I began advocating for greatly reducing, if not eliminating no-knock warrants, mainly by leveraging other technologies, tactics, techniques and procedures.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I don't engage in activities that would merit a no-knock, so anyone busting into my home are violent criminals. One on five is a tough one, regardless of circumstances.
Same here.

Funny, it happened to me about 2 months after I moved into this house.

Must have been just a bit tense for a while! Good thing it wasn't a 3AM no knock raid.
Nope, got lucky and it wasn't that. It was a 2 am knock, with two very polite officers out front. I'd been in bed for about 3 hours, they rang the doorbell, and the dogs woke me up. Guess I didn't fit the description of who they were looking for, as they haven't been back since. That was almost 7 years ago, I reckon.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Same here.

Funny, it happened to me about 2 months after I moved into this house.

Nope, got lucky and it wasn't that. It was a 2 am knock, with two very polite officers out front. I'd been in bed for about 3 hours, they rang the doorbell, and the dogs woke me up. Guess I didn't fit the description of who they were looking for, as they haven't been back since. That was almost 7 years ago, I reckon.
You're lucky. From several knock and no knock warrents I know of, they have a habit of shooting dogs and ransacking houses with complete immunity.

The previous owner of the house I'm staying in now was a female; however, I've been getting letters sent to my home from a prorole officer. The letters are addressed to a mans name. I assume it was her boyfriend or son (if she has one). Only been here 9 months, and the letters started coming 3 months ago. All this talk has me worried about having a knock at my door or my door kicked in while I'm at work being that I work overnight.

·
Registered
42,991 Posts
IMO, anytime LE raids the wrong house or raids the right house after the suspects have long been gone and new owners are in place, all protections and immunities should be off the playing field. It's too dang easy to verify information these days. Period.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts