Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing a full detail strip & cleaning along with changing springs on my S&W. Well, long story shot, I LOST one of the teeny tiny plunger lever springs.

It was on the bench in a little cup I use for the springs. I reached for some grease to "stick" the springs in their holes in the frame and one of the springs "disappeared" from the cup.

I work on a clean bench, with a clean floor and good lighting. No spring. Not on the bench, not on the floor, not under the bench, not ANYWHERE. I even used a magnet to try to find it. Nothing.

So, I had to order 2 springs from S&W. $0.51 each. Jeff the customer service guy said he'll ship them immediately. No charge which is pretty cool. IF they're the right springs, I'll send some Kudo's his way via email to corporate.

So anyway, I guess I'm defenseless until the springs arrive. I can't carry the Ruger yet because it's not on my permit. Hopefully I get the springs before I leave on Thursday for a week.

Sux to be me.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I painted my basement floor white because of a similar event.
It helps when you're trying to find that elusive part that escapes from where you'd put it.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
I have a little round parts tray which is magnetic so screws and springs and small items like that stay put in the dish. If the items aren't magnetic it doesn't work, but small parts still get kept there.

Good luck, and I hope the correct springs arrive in time. It sucks having a permit which must list which guns you will carry! Thank the lord Missouri didn't do that.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I ***have been*** one, too. You're not livin' right, if you haven't been one in the past year. At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

:bottel:

The thing about springs is that they could be anywhere. In a room with an unimpeded launch zone, they could have gone clear across the room. The breeze from a passing dog can send them rolling a yard. They can get stick in the tread of a shoe. BTDT, my friend. Springs. Amazing little things.

There's one thing true about springs: they do.

·
Banned
5,253 Posts
There is nothing wrong with being a Stupid Idiot, as long as you acknowledge and admit it. :bier:

Stuff happens, and we've all done worse. Good luck and I too hope you get your springs before you leave.

Biker

·
Administrator
143,592 Posts
There is another dimension that those tiny parts can easily slip into. It probably reappeared someplace in the distant past.
A Neanderthal just discovered that little spring in his hunk of meat. A Miracle!

That tiny spring is being worshiped as a mysterious and wonderful gift from the Gods now. :rofl:

You just altered human history! :slap:

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I think theres a spring hell somewhere where all the rebel runaway springs go

·
Administrator
143,592 Posts
If they we down in Hell the wouldn't be springs any longer. They would have lost their hardness and spring temper due to the extreme heat.

·
Registered
433 Posts
There is another dimension that those tiny parts can easily slip into. It probably reappeared someplace in the distant past.
A Neanderthal just discovered that little spring in his hunk of meat. A Miracle!

That tiny spring is being worshiped as a mysterious and wonderful gift from the Gods now. :rofl:

You just altered human history! :slap:

I believe it is the same space/time vortex that occasionally pulls in socks. This vortex is very fussy though, it only wants 1 sock at a time for some reason. :scruntiny: There were a bunch of Neanderthal's walking around with only one sock on and worshiping springs.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If they we down in Hell the wouldn't be springs any longer. They would have lost their hardness and spring temper due to the extreme heat.
Depends if Hell is endothermic or exothermic. :hand5:

-B

·
Registered
172 Posts
here is a recent study on that question :)

Is Hell Exothermic or Endothermic?

As you study for exams, remember its not the quantity it's the quantity. And remember there is no substitute for pure unadulterated bull

Dr. Schambaugh, of the University of Oklahoma School of Chemical Engineering, Final Exam question for May of 1997. Dr. Schambaugh is known for asking questions such as, "why do airplanes fly?" on his final exams. His one and only final exam question in May 1997 for his Momentum, Heat and Mass Transfer II class was: "Is hell exothermic or endothermic? Support your answer with proof."

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

"First, We postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some mass. If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass. So, at what rate are souls moving into hell and at what rate are souls leaving? I think we can safely assume that once a soul gets to hell, it will not leave.

Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for souls entering hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, then you will go to hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and souls go to hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change in volume in hell. Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in hell to stay the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay constant. Two options exist:

1. If hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will increase until all hell breaks loose.
2. If hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until hell freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the quote given to me by Theresa Manyan during Freshman year, "that it will be a cold night in hell before I sleep with you" and take into account the fact that I still have NOT succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then Option 2 cannot be true...Thus, hell is exothermic."

The student, Tim Graham, got the only A.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The art of subtlety. :rofl:

-B

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
No worries, it is right there next my AR take down detent spring!
If it makes you feel any better I lost my .38 special sizing die in my garage.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
No worries, it is right there next my AR take down detent spring!
If it makes you feel any better I lost my .38 special sizing die in my garage.
But, the sizing die doesn't fit on the AR detent spring. :confused:

Ahhhhhh. Now, I see ze problem. :rofl:

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
For future reference.:smile:

First time I took my Kimber apart, the recoil spring plug got away from me as I was removing the barrel bushing. After hours of looking for it, I finally found it on top of the Grandfather clock.

Hoss

·
Registered
830 Posts
Whew!

Rob,

I'm super-happy to see that this post isn't about an AD/ND! All said and done, I'd much rather lose the spring than fire my weapon seated at the bench!

:image035:

I'm fairly tidy, but this has happened to me before...and with other parts. I can't tell you not to be so hard on yourself, because you're right...it sucks! But you'll live.

OK...back to putting this ZRX-1200R back together...now where did I put that screw?

·
Registered
159 Posts
S&W has great customer service. When my guide rod and spring absconded with my recoil buffer into tall grass, S&W sent me a new rod, spring and two nylon spacers ...no charge. No shipping cost either.

·
Administrator
143,592 Posts
The little tiny firing pin block spring and plunger inside the Colt slides are a real PITA.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Been there, done that. :hand5:

I now use a dedicated parts bowl too. Live and learn.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts