Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got rid of a Ruger LCP which was simply too small for my large hands to operate comfortably or securely. I would like some recommendations for a compact 9mm with the only proviso being some sort of external safety, thumb or grip. That rules out another Glock and a few others, but I know there are several models out there that would fill the bill. I would like to hear your experiences.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
You are going to have to make a trip to the gun shop. Only you know what your hands like. Pick a couple you like and come back for opinions.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
988 Posts
You are going to have to make a trip to the gun shop. Only you know what your hands like. Pick a couple you like and come back for opinions.
Good Luck!
I agree with this, and I'd be sure to pick up a Sig P-938 while I was there. Happy hunting :danceban:

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Bersa thunder 9mm UC....

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was also going to suggest taking a look at the Sig 938. Still might be too small though. Maybe move up to something like a compact 1911 in .45. They don't have the same issues as the micro 1911's.

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
I never ask strangers who do not know anything about me for gun recommendations nor do I ask questions asked hundreds of thousands of times before. :) All you are going to do is get the recommendation of what is good for the people responding and end up with a gun you will trade or sell for a loss. I think if you Google your question you will get a few hundred thousand responses covering every gun out there. I doubt that those of us in this forum are more psychic than others. :)

If you want to stick with a small pocket gun that you can get your whole hand on try a Sig P938 with the extended magazine. That is what I carry. If that is out of your price range, since you did not mention price, wait for the new Springfield XDs in 9mm with the extended magazine and grip. There is also the M&P Shield, Kahr CM9, LC9, Sig P239 and my personal favorite, the HK P2000SK with extended magazine and grip. I am sure you know all this from your Google search already.

·
Super Moderator
19,941 Posts
S+W Shield, Kimber Solo, Ruger SR9c, Springfield XD subcompact, and Springfield EMP... just a few to start with.

If you can get past your absolute need for a manual safety, I'd add Kahr P9/CW9 to the list.

·
Registered
192 Posts
beretta px4 storm sc in either .40 or 9mm. 13+1 in 9mm, DA/SA with decocker/safety. chunky but very concealable, fills the hand nicely, low recoil.

·
Registered
10,315 Posts
Don't own one but looking seriously at a Ruger SR9C. Probably too big for pocket carry, but small with good features at a great price.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Colt 1911...why not!?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I second the PX4, thats what I carry (In Compact 9mm) but I personally dont like the sub compact its too small for me and I don't even have very large hands. With the compact you get 2 extra rounds in the mag, a larger size, and the rotating barrel design (which the sub compact also does NOT have). Fully loaded it is 2 lbs, and kinda thick but I have 100% ZERO issues concealing it.

·
Premium Member
10,172 Posts
Check out the Sig P938 with a 7 round mag.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would consider the shield in 40. I have a shield in 9mm, it conceals very nicely. It shoots great, but I wish now I had gotten the 40, only because you can get a 9mm barrel and have 2 guns in one.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts