Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sent out my FL CCW app back in July or August, and had to resend my certificate about a month back. I was hoping to get my license by the time I go to FL in Dec. since they no longer accept NV and I can't use my UT. Anyway, I called today to check up on it, and the lady said it was still being reviewed and that an arrest came back on my fingerprints! I was like ***! I have never been arrested, and have two CCW's with no issue. So I have no clue what is going on, but it looks like I won't be getting it in time for FL, which means I'll be armless. I also need to somehow check up on this arrest thing when I go there...

I am P'd off!!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
fingerprint matching sure isn't fool proof...I'd bet they confused yours with another.

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking they either mixed up my fingerprint card with someone elses, or it is not my prints that got flagged with an arrest, but my name. I have a cousin with the same name that was arrested one spring break in Daytona Beach. But that was for a disorderly conduct charge (spring break stupidity) that was dropped, so I don't know if that would even impede a person (if it was the person applying who got arrested) from getting a CCW.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
I'll bet it got flagged from your cousin's arrest, since ya'll have the same name...

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am sorry for what you are going through. Get it straightened out. This year, my UT ccw was pulled. I received a registered letter from BCI stating I had an arrest warrant. WHAT!!! It turns out the guy they wanted lives in the same town, different age, first name one letter off, different middle name and same last name. It was sloppy work by the DA.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
which means I'll be armless.
Stay away from the deep end then.... :hand5: JK

Sorry to hear the bad news. Time to break out the none lethal defensive tools. Stay safe.

GBK

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
At the rate that the ccw's are being issued there are bound to be screw ups. Hope you get the permit soon.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Uggggghhhh sorry man. Hopefully they'll get it straightened out and to you fast. I'm sending mine off here in a few weeks. Hope it all works out!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I can feel your pain. After moving to this community I was turned down for a teaching job in the local school district, no reason given. (clean record, just retired from USMC after 30yrs AD, and no problems). I drove to work 27 miles one way for 10 years to teach in the next county. After retiring 2 years ago, I found that I had been mistaken for another man in town with same name (one letter off!)and that he had a record. Nobody ever bothered to look at home address or social security number.

I drove 50 miles a day to work for ten years because some idiot had the wrong person.

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can feel your pain. After moving to this community I was turned down for a teaching job in the local school district, no reason given. (clean record, just retired from USMC after 30yrs AD, and no problems). I drove to work 27 miles one way for 10 years to teach in the next county. After retiring 2 years ago, I found that I had been mistaken for another man in town with same name (one letter off!)and that he had a record. Nobody ever bothered to look at home address or social security number.

I drove 50 miles a day to work for ten years because some idiot had the wrong person.
Yea, that's MUCH worse. Sorry to hear that.

Even if that is the reason, that they mixed up me and my cousin, I should still get it. It was a stupid spring break thing and he was released the next morning when he saw the judge. I don't even think he was charged with anything, or if they did charge him, it was very minor. They just let him go. No bail, court, etc.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Can certainly understand your frustration. But shiat happens. No need to be completely unarmed though. Some Fox Labs 5.2 OC along with a couple spyderco delicas and you are still well armed (assuming you know how to use them).

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Yea, that's MUCH worse. Sorry to hear that.

Even if that is the reason, that they mixed up me and my cousin, I should still get it. It was a stupid spring break thing and he was released the next morning when he saw the judge. I don't even think he was charged with anything, or if they did charge him, it was very minor. They just let him go. No bail, court, etc.
The record still may show an arrest. This could be the hang up.

Good luck, this should get resolved pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
reminds me of when my wife and i tried to get our first mortgage...theres a problem with my wifes credit the guy says...seems she has late payments with lane bryant stores...

i point to my 94 pound wife and say..."does she look like she spends much time or money in a large womans store?"...

he says.."i'll draft a letter that its a mistake and we'll get it cleared up."

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
All is not lost...you can still keep a pistola in your glove box, so traveling throughout the state while 'armed' is not impossible.:image035:

·
Registered
245 Posts
fingerprint matching sure isn't fool proof...I'd bet they confused yours with another.
+1 and it's funny that since it's not fool-proof that it's allowed as evidence in court. It's allowed all based on "likelihood" and since the government does not require that everyone within our borders (illegals and all) submit fingerprints, there's a lot of folks that have the potential to match yours, mine, and others.

Here's your reprieve of information: Contact Florida and request that they immediately send you a copy of their findings (must have the location of the arrest and the arresting agency on it!) so you may address the issue promptly. Have it faxed to you if you can so the process will be faster. Remember, they're human too and a smudge on a print card can be enough to screw it all up...want to bet that they pulled the arrest on prints alone and didn't match it to any other information on YOU?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
i dont think the fingerprints were the issue here and the reason they are admisible in court is because nobody can have the same ones...once you are caught your fingerprints would be a positive id...is it possible to bring the wrong person in?..yes...is it possible for 2 people to have the same print?...thats what court is for...cmon....

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Did NV drop Florida first? Just wondering why Fl dropped NV. And how long ago did this "dropping" take place?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Did NV drop Florida first? Just wondering why Fl dropped NV. And how long ago did this "dropping" take place?
IIRC NV dropped Fl. because FL permit good for 7 years instead of 5.

:theyareontome:

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
IIRC NV went through their reciprocity list and started dropping states that had less than equal requirements, particularly those that issue non res permits to persons via mail. Check the reciprocity list that they do honor, and you will find that it is difficult (READ - you have to go to that state to educate and apply) if not impossible to get a non res permit from the states that NV honors.

NV requires an 8 hour course instructed by a NV approved instructor, and shooting qualification with the weapon you are going to carry. Both must be done in NV.

On topic - Send a letter to the issuing authority, including having your local Sheriff run another background check, get a copy and re-submit for proof of their error, or arrange a phone call with them. FL does have provisions to challenge the decision, do they not? Hopefully a phone call will be enough to clear it up if you can get someone to actually look at the application info, and the end result.

Is it possible that your cousin used your name & info when he got popped to keep his name clear? Not unheard of to throw someone else under the bus.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
re: bladenbullet--prints

i dont think the fingerprints were the issue here and the reason they are admisible in court is because nobody can have the same ones...once you are caught your fingerprints would be a positive id...is it possible to bring the wrong person in?..yes...is it possible for 2 people to have the same print?...thats what court is for...cmon....
Except there really isn't any proof of the assertion that no one can have the same ones, and in any case close matches can get folks mixed up; just as two people can be found who truly look alike on a photo. There have been a few famous incidents on precisely this issue in the past decade.

And then, there is the issue that all of us leave prints on stuff that could easily find its way somewhere and appear to place you someplace. We leave prints and DNA on just about every store item we ever pick up to inspect.

Prints are one piece of evidence, to be weighed along with the total evidence and the circumstances. NOTHING by itself is foolproof proof of anything except maybe when someone is caught red handed in the act; and then the veracity of those who did the catching about what happened is open for a look see.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts