Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just venting. I was a submit button away from ordering a Ka-Bar TDI knife last night when i thought i should check NC knife laws first. Low and behold, cannot carry a fixed blade knife "concealed", only a pocket knife folder with a blade of 3" or less. WTH, why do they have rules like this ????:aargh4:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Not that it's any consolation, but NC is definitly not the only state with the same or similar laws.

Man, how much easier would life be if we didn't feel compelled to follow the laws. :frown:

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
I'm assuming your CC permit doesn't include knives? Sorry, that's too bad. I find it hard to believe that the permit makes it OK to carry a gun, but not a knife.:confused:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Same reason some states have rules that prohibit CC in a polling place or (in LA) at a parade. Some politician decided to write a feel-good law that he could milk.

Texas has some very silly knife laws as well. For example, any knife, folding or not, that is double edged, is considered a "dirk", and is illegal to carry. This means my double-beveled Gerber Covert Folder is legal, so long as the second bevel is dull, but if I were to sharpen it (or order it sharpened), it magically becomes an illegal knife.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm assuming your CC permit doesn't include knives? Sorry, that's too bad. I find it hard to believe that the permit makes it OK to carry a gun, but not a knife.:confused:
Nope, it is only a CC handgun permit. Doesnt make much sense. Oh well, i've got a few nice folders, just thought it would be different to carry a fixed blade once in awhile. Technically my SOG and Kershaw are illegal too since they are spring-assisted opening.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Not that it's any consolation, but NC is definitly not the only state with the same or similar laws.

Man, how much easier would life be if we didn't feel compelled to follow the laws. :frown:
"Too many laws makes scofflaws of us all".

·
Registered
156 Posts
Fortunately Missouri CCW covers "a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use".

RSMo 571
Unlawful use of weapons--exceptions--penalties.
571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;

Subdivisions (1) ...of subsection 1 of this section shall not apply to any person who has a valid concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 or a valid permit or endorsement to carry concealed firearms issued by another state or political subdivision of another state.

Sorry to hear NC has such a stupid provision. In MO I can't carry my auto knife out of uniform. Sucks.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Just venting. I was a submit button away from ordering a Ka-Bar TDI knife last night when i thought i should check NC knife laws first. Low and behold, cannot carry a fixed blade knife "concealed", only a pocket knife folder with a blade of 3" or less. WTH, why do they have rules like this ????:aargh4:
It's even better than you think. There is no NC statute that specifies that a 3 inch blade is acceptable, only that

""ordinary pocket knife" means a
small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket or purse,
which has its cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by
its handle, and that may not be opened by a throwing,
explosive, or spring action... "

As to the length, the only case law on length of a pocket knife states that a knife with a 4.5" overall length (this means open) was found to be a pocket knife so your looking at more in the lines of a 2 inch blade being the max acceptable so far. :icon_neutral:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's even better than you think. There is no NC statute that specifies that a 3 inch blade is acceptable, only that

""ordinary pocket knife" means a
small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket or purse,
which has its cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by
its handle, and that may not be opened by a throwing,
explosive, or spring action... "

As to the length, the only case law on length of a pocket knife states that a knife with a 4.5" overall length (this means open) was found to be a pocket knife so your looking at more in the lines of a 2 inch blade being the max acceptable so far. :icon_neutral:
That's rediculous. I see people everywhere everyday carrying folders clipped to their pocket that is at least 3" in length. Must be one of those few things that LE overlooks unless you do something stupid and than it could be pinned against you.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Said it before and will say it again. There are more knife laws than gun laws. Probably because in some states towns can pass ordinances regarding knife without attracting to much attention.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well what you have to realise is that people hardly see guns as politically correct and they don't see why we as citizens and even Law Enforcement need to use knives as defensive weapons. Its sad really but the truth is they don't see why we need guns AND knives. :banned:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And who are "THEY" anyway.....Bilderberg ???? I hate that there is always this sense of immortalism running our country, nobody here walks on water. Who are "they" to tell me what i can and cannot do ?? This really pisses me off. It's fine to poison foods with pesticides and release medications and vaccinations that have serious adverse reactions, but i cant walk around my town with a fixed blade knife under my jacket. :headbutt:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Would knives be considered in the 2A??? I would think so. "arms" would seem to me to be an all inclusive term for weapons for self defense. Maybe we should start pushing that more as well. Include knives in our push to protect the RTKBA.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Would knives be considered in the 2A??? I would think so. "arms" would seem to me to be an all inclusive term for weapons for self defense. Maybe we should start pushing that more as well. Include knives in our push to protect the RTKBA.
+1:hand10:

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I have pointed this out on a few different forums. When the 2nd Amendment was written swords, pikes, spears and knives were all used by ordinary citizens. Even bows at times. We allow the anti's to define what arms is and they are successfully defining legal weapons out of existence.

Michael

·
Registered
128 Posts
Which means you get a sheath that holds it on your belt so it is in the open. no?

It may be that the clip knife is considered seeable too? - instead of completely hidden. My GF and everyone else sees it on me when clipped to my pocket.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Wear a hatchet on a belt scabbard!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Short answer: unless your carry knife is a bayonet, it probably wasn't considered by the 2nd Amendment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wisconsin law is pretty silly too. It doesn't have any specifics at all. All it says anyone who goes armed with a concealed deadly weapon is guilty of a misdemeanor....

so basically as long as the knife i am carrying is for utility use, its legal, but the second its for SD, its illegal.

So it's a crapshoot carrying a knife in WI. I just try to stick with knives that don't really look like "weapons"... :rolleyes:

but i looked around some (on the internet mind you...) and really its left to the discretion of the LEO. I'm not too worried because i don't plan on being in a situation where my knife carrying is questioned.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Knife laws are by far the craziest laws. Here in CO we are limited to 3.5" or less if concealed. Most cities allow any size open carried. It's a crap shoot as to what equals not concealed. I think you would win in court if it was clipped to your pocket, but you would be out big $$$ and won't get the knife back. Here in CO and especially Denver they can keep said objects (favorites are AR-15, autos, kn ivies) even if you are found not guilty. I knew a guy that lost a Spydie Civilian that way. DPD LEO was doing a DUI drag late at night pulled him over and he wasn't drinking, had just left work. Called other LEOs over and searched the car without warrant or consent. Charged him with carrying a knife with an illegal shaped blade (WTH, definitely not a legal term in CRS or DRS). Length was 4.125 and Denver allows 3.5 max (concealed or open).

I HATE KNIFE LAWS!!!!!! There should be no laws about knives period. We have enough menacing laws without adding size, type, concealed, etc. If you present any object as a weapon, then it's a weapon. This could include your fist or kicking someone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts