Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range yesterday for some paper punching fun :smile:

Got back home and while cleaning my 1911 I found one of my grips had cracked :sad:

I was careful not to over torque them during installation back in August. I'm thinking the crack may have started from the grip screw not being tight enough and the .45's recoil started the process. I looked at an earlier pic I posted and it shows the crack had already started unnoticed to me (2nd photo)

The original raptor grips were kinda rough on the skin and these Sarge grips were just perfect in every way. After the holidays I'll order another pair from Sarge and this time I'm going to use some small rubber o rings to help cushion the grips from the screw and recoil.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
nice hardware

sucks the grip cracked... strange it cracked at the range and not during installation :confused:

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I wonder if it riding up over the pin has anything to do with it...

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You may have something there AZ. The original grips have a cutout I'm guessing for the pin. There's actually about 1/16" clearance along the factory grips edge to the pin. Maybe my Raptor needs the ambi cut just to be safe?

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
The anbi cut on grips is only for ambidextrous safetys that have a metal piece that the grips cover to keep the safety in place and allow for the safety to move,It's possible either when the grips were tightenes over the bushings the hole was so tight that it created xtra pressure that caused the crack,or it might of been a factory defect,I'm sure if you contact Sarges grips they will make it right

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I inlet the grips to cover the pin with a little clearance, so that's usually not a problem. In any event, PM sent. :smile: NO worries brother!
Sarge
I wasn't expecting a replacement set since I've had them a few months!

Now that's great customer service :smile:

Thanks Sarge!

·
Administrator
144,048 Posts
As artist, craftsman, and woodworker extraordinaire...they just don't get any better than the Good Ol' Sarge.

We are fortunate to have him with us here on DC.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Wow that hurts to see suck nice grips broken!

Sarge is such a good guy! when I get my 1911 his grips are going on!

·
Registered
469 Posts
Talk about customer service! A 1911 is my next purchase, and Sarge, expect to hear from me when $$$ allows.
~Steve

·
Registered
357 Posts
Pretty stand up of Sarge. I do similar things at my shop. I deal with a lot of cork, grenadilla, rosewood and maple and sometimes even the best design or craftsmanship gets sabotaged by the fact that you are working with a natural product that can have unknown flaws that aren't apparent until they have been stressed over a little time. Every once in a while I will just have to redo something because the wood failed.

Despite the crack, beautiful grips Sarge.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Good luck on a replacement.

Different weapon & different manfactuter but I had a crack on a wodden grip last year and they they were replaced for free.

Have heard that Sarge is a standup outfit.

So, I hope you have the same good treatment.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I wasn't expecting a replacement set since I've had them a few months!

Now that's great customer service :smile:

Thanks Sarge!
Trust Sarge to take care of you . . . he's 100%.:bier:

·
Registered
855 Posts
Well, thank you all for the kind words, but you can really thank my Dad, as there are three main things that HE taught me about how to go through life. Actually many more than three, but these seem to apply almost daily.
1. Always step between the aggressor and those who cannot defend themselves if you're able.
2. Treat others as you want to be treated
3. Everyone will have problems. Their true character is seen in how they react to those problems.
He was a straight up hero in my book and it's an honor to put his lessons to me into practice when I can.
Hope you all have a safe and great Thanksgiving!
Sarge

1 - 14 of 14 Posts