Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Congrats on your new gun. I don't have a .45 in my safe, I am hoping that will be my next purchase for a carry gun. Maybe I will dare to get my first Glock :smile:
Again congrats, I am sure it will serve you well.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on your new gun. I don't have a .45 in my safe, I am hoping that will be my next purchase for a carry gun. Maybe I will dare to get my first Glock :smile:
Again congrats, I am sure it will serve you well.
Thanks for the reply. I have owned several Glocks in the past. They aren't the fanciest gun on the market, but they are certainly one of the best.

·
Premium Member
36,757 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have owned several Glocks in the past. They aren't the fanciest gun on the market, but they are certainly one of the best.
Any particular reason you didn't go with a Glock 30? Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I went gun shopping the other day and brought a new .45 XDS 3.3 home with me. I have only fired about 4 magazines through it so far, but I haven't experienced any issues. After getting used to the 9mm recoil, the .45 recoil may take some getting used to.
AF01 ... Congrats on your new XDs and stepping up to a .45. While the difference in felt recoil will take some getting used to (at least it did for me when I moved from 9mm to .45acp for my primary carry in 2008), it's well worth the effort IMHO :smile:.

Reactions: AmmoFan01

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I have most calibers and my .40 Shield usually wins out. I had an XDS .45 and loved it, but a friend of mine 'made me' sell it to him.
This will force me to tote my Colt Defender more often, it is a fine shooter out to 75 feet.
Been carrying a 9 most of the hot Summer months, but I feel fine with any of the major calibers with optimized ammo.

The FBI standarized testing has shown the heavier bullet weights to usually be more effective despite a loss in velocity. This gives a small advantage to the .45acp IF the increased recoil is not an issue for the shooter.
I love those 'tractor-tire' grips on the XDS 3.3 inch.

Reactions: AmmoFan01

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Welcome to the 45 club! It might have some pop to it, but it will serve you well.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
About the .45acp

I grew up shooting my father's WWII issue 1911. Then went into the US Army and ended up training soldiers on the 1911, many of whom had never fired a gun. Since 1966, I have carried a 1911 full time unless ordered to carry another make & caliber.

The lady that must be obeyed had never shot anything larger than a .38spl but three months ago bought a Kimber in .45 and she loves it. Small hands has not caused any issues. She says she cannot tell the difference in recoil between the .45acp and a .38spl. She loves the way it shoots and the larger holes it puts in targets.

You will love the .45 as well as the new gun. The fun part is you need to shoot often. Both you and your gun will benefit from routine shooting.

If you ever see someone hit with a .45 round, you will not want to ever carry anything else.

Reactions: AmmoFan01 and OD*

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have decided to go with the Shield in 45 acp probably next week. I have never owned a 45 so I thought it was time to rectify that.

Joe

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I went gun shopping the other day and brought a new .45 XDS 3.3 home with me. I have only fired about 4 magazines through it so far, but I haven't experienced any issues. After getting used to the 9mm recoil, the .45 recoil may take some getting used to.

View attachment 159610
.45 is a great caliber, but no doubt - it is STOUT and takes more work to control (particularly in a very small pistol) than .40 and especially 9.

With good practice, you will do fine with it. And then, 9mm will feel like a pellet gun to you.

You should try some full size .45s at some point; they are really nice to shoot.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Keep shooting it, you'll learn to love it.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
My Glock 19 has the NYPD 12 lb trigger. Since I picked up my S&W 45c my 9mm hasn't left my safe in a long time and the extra kick of the 45 doesn't bother me. As a matter of fact, I don't notice it any more. Good luck with your 45. ---Sturgis

1 - 20 of 20 Posts