Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I polished anything that wipes, swipes, rotates, slides, releases, and probably some more. I even polished the slot in the slide that the striker sear rides in and the sides of the striker that would slide against the groove.

All contact surfaces were polished to a bright, mirror finish with 1500 grip emory cloth. Didn't remove or shape metal; just polished.

When I put it back together, and pulled the trigger for the first time, my first thought was, "Wow, that's worse that before I did anything." The trigger probably was a little smoother; I guess I may have expected too much.

I had the thought to polish the striker since it moves rearward when the trigger is pulled and if the striker drags against the striker spring, it would cause resistance.

I wasn't looking to lighten the trigger - just make it good and smooth. I feels like all I accomplished was to make it good and the same.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
950 Posts
I don't polish anything since my skill as a gunsmith does not exist. I bust caps and let things work itself out. My advice, keep it clean, shoot it, clean it and shoot it again..

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bud White said:
The .25 trigger job does basically squat
That does seem to be the case.

I posted this a GT also and a guy said about the same thing. I presume that the .25 trigger job got its rep on some triggers that were abnormally rough and I guess it would help.

My conclusion: you don't need to do anything to the trigger unless it's really bad and I've never seen a really bad Glock trigger.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Apart from disconnect change to lighter - I have had other guys with Glocks say basically - leave em alone, don't clean 'em too much - and shoot the livin' snot outa them :18:

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Mine seem to have been pretty cool right out of the box.
The triggers were good for what they were...DAO triggers.

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have seen a really smooth Glock trigger, and an XD too for that matter, but in both cases the trigger pressure had been reduced. It makes sense that a lighter trigger would be a smoother trigger also since frictional forces are reduced.

But so far, I haven't seen a noticeably smoother trigger at the same pull weight.

However, in the 2006 issue of Glock Autopistols an article tells that Dave Sevigny does polish his stock 3.5# connector and trigger parts. I wonder if he knows something?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Not to be a smart-butt, but you did put a dab of grease on the connector area?

The polish job is okay, but not really necessary, unless you see some rough surfaces on the cruciform. Yes, some people do not believe in cleaning or lubing their Glocks. I would not invite the Muse of Misfires by following their creed. Glock is a combat weapon, with lots of open space in the frame to let gunk fall/shake out. On a much carried, infrequently shot, never cleaned gun, this will allow it to accumulate quantities of everything from cheese-cracker crumbs to lint.

Shoot lots, clean after shooting, enjoy!:wave:

·
Registered
370 Posts
I agree that the basic polishing doesn't help much, but I find it does help. Proper lubing (I use TW-25b) of all the right places helps, too, and a 3.5# connector makes a noticeably improvement.

The trigger is still a "sproingy" Glock trigger, though. What are you gonna do?

·
Super Moderator
13,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rob72 said:
Not to be a smart-butt, but you did put a dab of grease on the connector area?
Yep, right on it. Well not grease, but BreakFree CPL. Some say grease attracts grit and dirt.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Ahh. Just a dab of the real-deal may surprise you. I use Tetra, and leave just the barest film. Of course, I detail my stuff at least once every three months, so.......

I 've said it before, but I highly recommend the Ghost Rocket (factory weight) connector, too!:wave:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts