Defensive Carry banner

If you own a suppressor, why did you buy it?

• For home defense

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • For hunting

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • For range use

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Because it is my right

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Because it looks cool

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Other

Votes: 15 42.9%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
33,986 Posts
If they were off-the-shelf items for around $100, I would buy a couple. At $1,000 with a ten month wait and then having to carry the tax stamp with the gun and use sub-sonic ammo, they are not on my wish list.
Ditto. Ridiculously over priced with a long wait and a $200 "tax."

·
Registered
301 Posts
A number of reasons.
My primary reason is it allows me to use a 5.56 rifle in my home, without concern of major hearing loss.
My ears ring outdoors when my hearing protection is on, but not seated properly.
I can only imagine the damage and pain if I were entirely without hearing protection in a tile hallway.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
It has been on my list of nice to have's for a long time. Given the price, the tax, the hassle of buying and the wait time, I have never gone through with it. Since I live in Virginia, I may soon lose my chance to scratch that itch:mad:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Perhaps one day I'll look into picking up a suppressor for 1-2 of my HK's but as for now; there's nothing about them that screams; "You gotta get one of these" to me.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
281 Posts
Someone pointed out to me once how useful a suppressed .22 would be, in that case a Ruger10/22, in a SHTF scenario, where you wouldn't want anyone around to hear you hunting. That is a valid point I guess. For what its worth, my .22 will handle 'shorts' just fine. Probably not as effective as .22 long rifle but much quieter.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Someone pointed out to me once how useful a suppressed .22 would be, in that case a Ruger10/22, in a SHTF scenario, where you wouldn't want anyone around to hear you hunting. That is a valid point I guess. For what its worth, my .22 will handle 'shorts' just fine. Probably not as effective as .22 long rifle but much quieter.
I have a long barrel single shot .22 that I shoot CCI Quiet ammo through. Its quiet enough that I hear the hammer fall and the bullet impact the target. And they are accurate enough for short range pest control.

I was shooting ground squirrels off my lawn and my wife came out on the porch to talk on the phone to her sister. When she hung up she asked what I was doing? They are that quiet! My airguns are louder!

Where I live it is legal to shoot a gun. But I have neighbors that Frown on it. So I keep it to a min. A suppressor would keep that noise to a min. And not draw attn to me. DR

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Match the suppressor to the proper gun & ammo and it makes a lot of sense. 4.5" barreled 9mm PCC SBR using 147gr Gold Dots (subsonic) through my ISIS II Thompson Machine suppressor and we have a home defense firearm that isn't going to blow your ears out.

213gb2g.jpg

·
Banned
232 Posts
FWIW- There's some vids on the web that show how easy it is to build a suppressor for a .22. I'm not talking a pop bottle taped to the muzzle, this is a real can that can be made from hardware store items. Not legal, so that's my disclaimer. I've never had any need for one myself, but it was an interesting SHTF knowledge thing to know.

·
Registered
33,986 Posts
I don't know how well it works on larger, more powerful calibers, but if I were wanting to suppress .22 LR only, I'd opt for the oil filter adapter option. Seems to work well enough in all the videos I've seen. It would be a good use for Fram filters anyhow. Inexpensive, and no clean up required.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
For those who feel a need to have their names on a list in Washington DC owning a suppressor is about as efficient a means as possible to achieve your dreams. Add a second NFA item and you will probably get a red circle around your name.
Sorry, I’m just not that paranoid.

Anyway, between a having C&R, and filling several 4473’s a year...That cat has already left the barn.

·
Super Moderator
50,574 Posts
Just opened this thread, went to view the results first, then went to vote and is said that I had already voted...WHAT?

I'm contacting the complaint dept...

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Just opened this thread, went to view the results first, then went to vote and is said that I had already voted...WHAT?

I'm contacting the complaint dept...
I tell ya, the moderators around here just aren't checking up on things!

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
https://www.silencershop.com/silencers/7-62mm-rifle/radical-firearms-rf762.html

For people saying its too expensive, here is a 30cal rife can $275. Would be great for a hunting rifle or a basic home defensive option. Its a no frills can, but if I were planning on taking a shot without hearing protection, Id much rather have something like this on my gun. Its out of stock now because it was such a smoking deal, but these sorts of deals are out there. A can like that would be perfect for anything from a bolt action 308 deer rife, a precision long range rifle, or a 10" home defense AR pistol.

As for other types of cans, Im not a super huge fans of silencers on pistols. They make a lot of sense on the subgun type carbines or PDWs, but on a standard handgun like a Glock or 1911, I struggle to see as much point. Its super cool to shoot them, and I have one, but it stays on my Scorpion EVO. Every now and again Ill swap it to my G17, but its most as a novelty. With a silencer on a pistol (I mean a real pistol, not going by the ATF definition), you cant holster it in a standard holster, you need raised sights which not everyone has, and those arent even the worst thing IMO. One thing I never hear anyone talk about is unburnt powder blowback when running a silencer. I shoot my Omega 9k on a Glock 17 and shooting any type of ammo, you get massive blowback on your face. Instead of the powder and pressure going out the muzzle end, because of the increased pressure, some powder and gas blows back towards the shooters face. If it were a home defense scenario, Id hate to get an eye full of unburnt powder and effectively blind myself after the first shot. Much more useful on a PCC or PDW type of weapon.

When talking price for rimfire silencers, its not as bad as most think. Sure, some of the brand name cans made with the latest materials cost more, some $500 or more, but it doesnt take all that to get quiet. I used to work at a huge local gun shop, and they has a no-name 22lr can that had a standard price of $124.99. It would often go on sale for $99. Yeah, the $200 tax is a PITA, but thats just the way it goes. For $600 out the door, you could easily have a Ruger 10/22, a few spare mags, and a silencer to pop on the end. People dont think twice about dropping $600 on a Glock in a brick and mortar gun store. If you wanted something really tricked out, looking at SilencerShop, for $500 + stamp, you can get a 10/22 integrally suppressed barrel. With 10/22s costing under $200, you could easily have a Hollywood quiet gun thats a standard single stamp 16" rifle for $900 out the door. The intergral 10/22s are crazy quiet. You could be asleep in your bedroom, and someone could be outside your window shooting drills and it would be inaudble.

You can spend a ton on silencers if you want the latest and greatest, but if you just keep your eyes peeled for deals and dont mind a silencer that was state of the art 5-10 years ago, you can do it on the cheap.

·
Banned
232 Posts
For those who feel a need to have their names on a list in Washington DC owning a suppressor is about as efficient a means as possible to achieve your dreams. Add a second NFA item and you will probably get a red circle around your name.
True, but what about us folks that served? Fingerprints, mugshots, medical records, duty records, I even had the FBI show up at my Dad's house to talk to me just minutes after I got there driving from where I lived two states away for a visit while traveling to Ohio from Colorado! It was about something that happened when I was in the Air Force eight years prior but was because my younger brother had to get his Top Secret clearance to do his job in the Air Force. This happened before commercial computers, GPS, and cell phones. Talk about the feds knowing where you are every minute! This was in 1988. I can't believe they aren't monitoring me to this day... Hi guys! And up...y...rs

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
I don't know how well it works on larger, more powerful calibers, but if I were wanting to suppress .22 LR only, I'd opt for the oil filter adapter option. Seems to work well enough in all the videos I've seen. It would be a good use for Fram filters anyhow. Inexpensive, and no clean up required.
For those using the oil filter adapters, I think the adapter technically requires a tax stamp.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts