Defensive Carry banner

If you own a suppressor, why did you buy it?

• For home defense

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • For hunting

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • For range use

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Because it is my right

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Because it looks cool

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Other

Votes: 15 42.9%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
33,986 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I thought the same thing until I shot one of my buddy's. Now I own 5.

This is by my bed. Sig MCX short barrel with collapsible stock in 300 BLK. Subsonic 220's would make fast work of an intruder. A lot of guys that compete in PRS and PRL are using suppressors on their long guns. Significant reduction in recoil and sound (obviously). This means a lot less fatigue on everyone at the end of the day.

View attachment 313040

·
Registered
807 Posts
True, but what about us folks that served? Fingerprints, mugshots, medical records, duty records, I even had the FBI show up at my Dad's house to talk to me just minutes after I got there driving from where I lived two states away for a visit while traveling to Ohio from Colorado! It was about something that happened when I was in the Air Force eight years prior but was because my younger brother had to get his Top Secret clearance to do his job in the Air Force. This happened before commercial computers, GPS, and cell phones. Talk about the feds knowing where you are every minute! This was in 1988. I can't believe they aren't monitoring me to this day... Hi guys! And up...y...rs
....."but what about us folks that served?".....

Yes, some of us served. If you haven't noticed yet, several high-ranking members of congress have already described us as potentially dangerous domestic terrorism threats simply because we served honorably, and thousands of veterans receiving medical treatment from the Veterans Administration have found that they can no longer pass the NICS background check for a simple firearms purchase. Why would I add NFA weapons to the government's files about me?

Retired Police Chief
Formerly Sergeant, US Army airborne infantry (Vietnam 1969-71), top secret clearance.
Combat Infantryman Badge
Bronze Star Medal, V-device, oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation medal, V-device, oak leaf cluster
Purple Heart Medal, 3 oak leaf clusters
Good Conduct Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry, palm device
Republic of Vietnam Service Medal
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
Parachutist Badge
Pathfinder Badge
Presidential Unit Citation
Republic of Vietnam Parachutist Badge
Expert Marksman Badge (rifle, automatic rifle, machinegun, pistol, grenade launcher)

Not to mention the good stuff (husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather). Overall, just your typical older neighbor, although some have described me as dangerously handsome over the years (a curse I am forced to live with).

·
Registered
335 Posts
I didn't vote either because I don't own a suppressor. I did however work for a Class 3 indoor gun range and a Class 7 manufacturer with an SOT license so I do have some relevant experience. I view suppressors as application specific. There is always the catch-all category of "I want it just because or its cool" but I do see a couple of practical applications as well.

1. Hunting:

-If you hunt coyotes at night on a farmer's land to help him out with predator control, I am sure he would appreciate not hearing full decibel gun fire all night long.
-Gun shots in places where there are grizzly bears tend to act like a dinner bell after you down an animal.

2. Specialized shooting:

-Women that are pregnant should not be around loud gun fire. The embryonic fluid that surrounds the baby acts like a sound amplifier and you can't put hearing protection on unborn children. That means mom can still target practice if she desires.

3. Business:

-If you have a business of renting suppressed firearms, they also make sense. (I don't mean rent them like you would a rental car where the person takes it away and then returns it). Indoor gun ranges, guided hunts, James Bond for a day, etc.

Other than that I tend to lump suppressors into the recreational category. I agree that they are expensive so you will have to decide of the benefits outweigh the cost.

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I didn't vote either because I don't own a suppressor. I did however work for a Class 3 indoor gun range and a Class 7 manufacturer with an SOT license so I do have some relevant experience. I view suppressors as application specific. There is always the catch-all category of "I want it just because or its cool" but I do see a couple of practical applications as well.

1. Hunting:

-If you hunt coyotes at night on a farmer's land to help him out with predator control, I am sure he would appreciate not hearing full decibel gun fire all night long.
-Gun shots in places where there are grizzly bears tend to act like a dinner bell after you down an animal.
I wonder if grizzlies will be smart enough eventually to associate suppressed gunfire with a downed animal, as they currently do with unsuppressed gunfire???

Reactions: airslot and OD*

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I bought suppressors simply because I wanted them. I don't have one on my night-stand/home-defense gun, but I could do that if I wanted. They are not convenient for concealed carry. I can use one on my hunting rifles. My elk rifle has a muzzle brake to help tame the recoil but that increases the noise. I can thread a can onto the muzzle brake to reduce the noise. But the barrel is already long and if I put a can on that it will look like I'm walking around with an antenna.

My neighbor got permission to shoot prairie dogs on some land close to our neighborhood. It was legal to shoot there and we were shooting into a hillside so it was safe. But if we weren't using suppressors, someone would have called the police.

I don't think I can change anyone's mind about the "need" for a suppressor, but after years of shooting guns that require hearing protection, it's kind of fun to be able to shoot without the earmuffs.

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
All of the above for me.

Suppressors are a game changer for hunting.

Also, we would have a lot less laws in semi-urban areas if suppressors where cheaper and easier to obtain. If you are living in urban sprawl, and you are using a suppressor, unless your totally reckless and hitting homes, nobody would know what your doing on your propery.

Individuals who try to shut down shooting ranges pretty much file the complaints in the following order:

NOISE Complaints
ESCAPAGES
ENVIORTMENTAL

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
After watching my father struggling to hear the high pitch giggles and coos of my baby daughters, I decided that a suppressor was definitely a worthwhile expense as I do a lot of shooting. Hearing protection is great and I still wear electronic hearing protection with my suppressed rifle, but having the suppressor on the rifle helps assure that even if I don't have on hearing protection, that I will minimize the insult and potential damage to my ears.

I have been to the range too many times, been in too many gun classes, been hunting too many times to believe for an instant that people (including me) will always have on their hearing protection when somebody fires off an unsuppressed shot or shots. Even the sonic crack of a suppressed centerfire rifle can be painful at close range, but not nearly as painful or damaging as an unsuppressed firing of the same rifle.

My father lost a lot of his hearing as a police officer. He actually didn't shoot that much, but back in the day, they didn't use hearing protection. Despite having hearing aids, he still struggles with high pitched sounds such as those made by children and various types of warning beeps such as those on alarm systems indicating activation or deactivation. He has difficulties with basic conversations in quiet environments and really struggles with them in noisy environments.

Getting my suppressors instead of buying new guns was well worth it to me. I plan on being able to hear the sounds of my grandchildren, hopefully clearly. I do not want my love of shooting to take that away from me.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I can see the use of them, situationally. Home defense, certain types of hunting. I'm aware there are ways to make a suppressor. I wouldn't exactly suggest watching a YouTube video on it however.

Yep, I served. Willing to bet my name is on a list somewhere. Between guard/reserves and active duty, over 26 years in. I didn't have a top secret clearance, just secret. Never was in a position to need top secret. But, i was an aircraft electrician on H-60s, S-3Bs, and P-3Cs. The electronics guys had TS. On a lot of deployments, who did they turn to for help with troubleshooting? The electricians. Common knowledge in the commands I was in. Add to that, I was a Bridge Crewmember (version of Combat Engineer), (not going to go into detail of what all we were taught, but being in the advance party got some of us some extra training), and of course as a medic. I qualified with the 1911, m16, and m60. Can't say expert on all, wish I could, but it was just sharp shooter. Well over 30 deployments over my career. Don't need my name on another list.

As far as the hearing part, well, I like what I have left of it, despite the constant ringing. When a get to it in the next month or so, a pair of them fancy electronic ear mugs are gonna be gotten, both for range and home defense use. Until then, ear plugs for HD it is.

·
Banned
232 Posts
....."but what about us folks that served?".....

Yes, some of us served. If you haven't noticed yet, several high-ranking members of congress have already described us as potentially dangerous domestic terrorism threats simply because we served honorably, and thousands of veterans receiving medical treatment from the Veterans Administration have found that they can no longer pass the NICS background check for a simple firearms purchase. Why would I add NFA weapons to the government's files about me?

Retired Police Chief
Formerly Sergeant, US Army airborne infantry (Vietnam 1969-71), top secret clearance.
Combat Infantryman Badge
Bronze Star Medal, V-device, oak leaf cluster
Army Commendation medal, V-device, oak leaf cluster
Purple Heart Medal, 3 oak leaf clusters
Good Conduct Medal
National Defense Service Medal
Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry, palm device
Republic of Vietnam Service Medal
Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
Parachutist Badge
Pathfinder Badge
Presidential Unit Citation
Republic of Vietnam Parachutist Badge
Expert Marksman Badge (rifle, automatic rifle, machinegun, pistol, grenade launcher)

Not to mention the good stuff (husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather). Overall, just your typical older neighbor, although some have described me as dangerously handsome over the years (a curse I am forced to live with).
Zactly! My point was however, if we served even for a little while the government knows everything there is to know about us. I'm sure we all remember Snowden and we all have widely different feelings on what he did. But regardless of those feelings he exposed just a little of what everyone (who weren't complicit in some way) suspected the government could do. Then the congress made a big to-do over not knowing anything about it and did some fancy talking and poof! all that intelligence on friendly soil was just supposed to stop. Yeah right! I don't know much about it but I know enough to remain paranoid. It does no good being concerned about it however. It's just a fact of modern life. If the government wants to know something all they have to do is go under the table and find out. Government hackers are likely a few of the absolute best on the interwebz. Keep your friends close, your enemy's closer type of thing.

·
Banned
232 Posts
I can see the use of them, situationally. Home defense, certain types of hunting. I'm aware there are ways to make a suppressor. I wouldn't exactly suggest watching a YouTube video on it however.

Yep, I served. Willing to bet my name is on a list somewhere. Between guard/reserves and active duty, over 26 years in. I didn't have a top secret clearance, just secret. Never was in a position to need top secret. But, i was an aircraft electrician on H-60s, S-3Bs, and P-3Cs. The electronics guys had TS. On a lot of deployments, who did they turn to for help with troubleshooting? The electricians. Common knowledge in the commands I was in. Add to that, I was a Bridge Crewmember (version of Combat Engineer), (not going to go into detail of what all we were taught, but being in the advance party got some of us some extra training), and of course as a medic. I qualified with the 1911, m16, and m60. Can't say expert on all, wish I could, but it was just sharp shooter. Well over 30 deployments over my career. Don't need my name on another list.

As far as the hearing part, well, I like what I have left of it, despite the constant ringing. When a get to it in the next month or so, a pair of them fancy electronic ear mugs are gonna be gotten, both for range and home defense use. Until then, ear plugs for HD it is.
I got tinnitus when I was teenager after having a severe bout with some sort of flu that gave me a 105° temperature. My ears ring what seems to me as very loud. But they ring in stereo so better than some other folks I have talked to. I have also ridden a straight piped Harley since 1984, operated old Lima 90 ton capacity truck mounted cranes with a big diesel engine about four feet behind me for twenty years, used jackhammers for days on end with cheap ear muff hearing protection or hard foam insertables and like many, too much other ear ruining noises that most folks shy away from.

Even with the ringing my hearing is still pretty good. I can't hear crickets in my right ear however. Ever since I can remember I have had trouble hearing conversations when there is much background noise. I asked a doctor once about that and he said something to effect of I just don't pay attention. He was wrong of course, because I simply can't hear tones/voices that are at the same pitch/frequency as the background noise. It doesn't appear as hearing loss on a hearing test however.

As a bonus my job subjects me to very, very, bad music at extremely high decibels (think competition sound system loud) in a confined space (I drive a large party bus for a living). It's illegal to wear hearing protection in a commercial vehicle. Not that that stops me however.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not sure if it’s just me but I can’t see the picture. Mind I ask what can it is? I also have a short a MCX that’s why I ask.
It's not you. Sorry about the photos not working. I have tried a direct upload from my photo album and uploading URL's from a host site as well. I have done this hundreds of times on other sites. Not sure why this one is so backwards.

To answer your question; I have the Sig SRD762TI. Titanium, very light, very quiet. There are cheaper models available but I have gotten a lot of milage out of this one. I like that it is direct thread and matches the tapered profile of the MCX barrel. Very secure. Just screw your birdcage off and screw the suppressor on. Hand tight is all it takes.

srd762ti.jpg

18A3CA06-3338-420B-BF4D-8DF0B9DAD1FE_1_201_a.jpeg FD9C33D6-B728-4D9F-B90C-F822652FA96D_1_201_a.jpeg 9C7187C6-EF25-409E-ACDF-ECE4E75C243B.jpeg

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
It's not you. Sorry about the photos not working. I have tried a direct upload from my photo album and uploading URL's from a host site as well. I have done this hundreds of times on other sites. Not sure why this one is so backwards.

To answer your question; I have the Sig SRD762TI. Titanium, very light, very quiet. There are cheaper models available but I have gotten a lot of milage out of this one. I like that it is direct thread and matches the tapered profile of the MCX barrel. Very secure. Just screw your birdcage off and screw the suppressor on. Hand tight is all it takes.

View attachment 313192

View attachment 313186 View attachment 313188 View attachment 313190
Your photos make me want to go for it with my Sig MPX! I must resist!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your photos make me want to go for it with my Sig MPX! I must resist!
Sig MPX? Great platform for a suppressor and a home defense weapon. Also tons of fun to shoot with subsonic 147 grain 9mm. Let's see if pictures want to load today. Here is mine with a my Surefire can, Aimpoint T-2 Micro, and weapons light.

The first suppressor I ever fired was from my buddies 300 Win Mag. About a 50% reduction in felt recoil. With full power 210 grain Bergers it sounded like a 22 Long Rifle. I also saw his 5 1/2 year old daughter fire it from a bench several times. No problem. That is when I bought my first.

Another popular use for suppressors down here in Texas is for suppressed AR-10's on night hog hunts. Tons of video on YouTube if you are interested. If a pig, human, or anything with ears is being shot at with a suppressed weapon, it is impossible to tell where the shot is coming from. Most times they will run perpendicular to your line of fire and sometimes right at you. That is a whole other simple physics discussion for another time. Again, plenty of info online.

Another popular application is PRS and PRL competitions on long guns. See my avatar. I am going to try one on my 6mm Creedmore this year. If the gun is as accurate with the can as the muzzle brake, then I will run it. It makes for a lot less fatigue at the end of the day.

Suppressors are very useful in many situations, a ton of fun and, down right cool. And yes, a good suppressor with subsonic ammo is damn near movie quiet. But hey, I guess our special forces, and service snipers just don't read the forum. There are always those who will never know things because they learned it all 3 decades ago. The only downside I see is the cost and the wait. Maybe some day the stamps will go away.

8A7ECEA9-E724-4388-91FA-C15FEE2A87D6_1_201_a.jpeg
E0FEB7F8-708F-44F0-8968-71F70FFF938B_1_201_a.jpeg
C209049D-DE44-443D-AD0A-0F0DD841416D.jpeg

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Sig MPX? Great platform for a suppressor and a home defense weapon. Also tons of fun to shoot with subsonic 147 grain 9mm. Let's see if pictures want to load today. Here is mine with a my Surefire can, Aimpoint T-2 Mico, and weapons light.

The first suppressor I ever fired was from my buddies 300 Win Mag. About a 50% reduction in felt recoil. With full power 210 grain Bergers it sounded like a 22 Long Rifle. I also saw his 5 1/2 year old daughter fire it from a bench several times. No problem. That is when I bought my first.

Another popular use for suppressors down here in Texas is for suppressed AR-10's on night hog hunts. Tons of video on YouTube if you are interested. If a pig, human, or anything with ears is being shot at with a suppressed weapon, it is impossible to tell where the shot is coming from. Most times they will run perpendicular to your line of fire and sometimes right at you. That is a whole other simple physics discussion for another time. Again, plenty of info online.

Another popular application is PRS and PRL competitions on long guns. See my avatar. I am going to try one on my 6mm Creedmore this year. If the gun is as accurate with the can as the muzzle brake, then I will run it. It makes for a lot less fatigue at the end of the day.

Suppressors are very useful in many situations, a ton of fun and, down right cool. And yes, a good suppressor with subsonic ammo is damn near movie quiet. But hey, I guess our special forces, and service snipers just don't read the forum. There are always those who will never know things because they learned it all 3 decades ago. The only downside I see is the cost and the wait. Maybe some day the stamps will go away.

View attachment 313212
View attachment 313214
My set-up is almost identical to yours, with an Aimpoint T2, Troy battle sights, a VCAS sling,SB Tactical Brace,and Surefire Scout light. The only thing I don't have is a can. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

·
Registered
48 Posts
My set-up is almost identical to yours, with an Aimpoint T2, Troy battle sights, a VCAS sling,SB Tactical Brace,and Surefire Scout light. The only thing I don't have is a can. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
Nice setup! My light is the SureFire Mini Scout with Larue mount. As you can see, I went with the Sig collapsible stock. So, two stamps required. I bought my MPX as a pistol so, had to put something there.

Might as well apply for SBR stamp while you are at it. I am sure you know these things eat up a lot of ammo so might as well order that Dillon 550 or 750. :icon_neutral:

Gun lust never ends does it? My last can took a year. They say just file the papers and forget about it. The way I look at it, unless I croak, next year will certainly come. When it does, I can have a nice suppressor or, not.

Best of luck to you.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts