Defensive Carry banner

If you own a suppressor, why did you buy it?

• For home defense

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • For hunting

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • For range use

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Because it is my right

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Because it looks cool

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Other

Votes: 15 42.9%

• Total voters
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Nice setup! My light is the SureFire Mini Scout with Larue mount. As you can see, I went with the Sig collapsible stock. So, two stamps required. I bought my MPX as a pistol so, had to put something there.

Might as well apply for SBR stamp while you are at it. I am sure you know these things eat up a lot of ammo so might as well order that Dillon 550 or 750. :icon_neutral:

Gun lust never ends does it? My last can took a year. They say just file the papers and forget about it. The way I look at it, unless I croak, next year will certainly come. When it does, I can have a nice suppressor or, not.

Best of luck to you.
I have the same light set-up. Already have the Dillon 550. Will have to think about it some more. Next up for me right now is a tactical shotgun.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have the same light set-up. Already have the Dillon 550. Will have to think about it some more. Next up for me right now is a tactical shotgun.
Well I am just full of ideas today. I can give a solid recommendation for the Benelli M2. My shooting/hunting buddy has the M4. I don't like pistol grips on shotguns and I like Benelli's inertia actions better than gas. Years ago I sold off a pile of average everyday shotguns and bought a Benneli Super Black Eagle II with 3.5" chamber. I handles everything from very light 2.5" target loads to 3.5" tungsten Turkey loads.

I definitely want a semi auto over a pump for defensive shotgun. Auto's can be operated with one hand. The M2 or similar will also slip right into a standard shotgun sleeve mounted on your back pack or bug out bag.

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Woolecox and OD*, I have shot a Benelli m2. In fact, I own an M2 Field for hunting. I've also considered the Beretta. I've pretty much narrowed things down in that department to the Mossberg 930 SPX Tactical or the Tavor TS12. Right now I am leaning towards the Tavor due to its compact size without requiring a permit for a short barreled shotgun.

I also am not opposed to the idea of it being a bit heavier to soak up some more recoil. I am wavering so in the meantime I have ordered a sling and a Trijicon MRO red dot. Those can go on either. I'm accumulating the smaller items (and spreading out the purchases) so I am ready when I decide, but I will probably buy one or the other before the end of the month.

·
Super Moderator
18,065 Posts
That poll should have had an option for hearing protection which is mostly what I use them for.

I have around 35 personally owned cans. I'm a Dealer, so I get free stuff and some at greatly reduced prices.

In my 10 years of dealing with hundreds of customers, I come across many people that wonder why. I can talk till I'm blue in the face and they may not see what the fuss is about, but if I hand them a suppressed Ruger .22 pistol and let them shoot it...

it's over. End of discussion. Not one single time had I ever heard someone say, " no...I don't want that". Not once. A picture is worth a thousand words, letting someone shoot one is worth 10 thousand.

Discussing it won't work. Until you shoot one you'll never understand it.

Heres a fact. Once you start shooting suppressed, you'll get to where you don't want to shoot anything else.

As for the argument that subsonic ammo is too weak, that is only spoken by people that either don't use them or can't shoot. I've killed 9 deer and numerous hogs and coyotes and have not had one single shot that wasn't a complete pass through.

My hunting rifles are all suppressed. My duty sniper rifle has a can on it. Just a week ago we were slapping gongs at 500 yards with it.

·
Super Moderator
13,011 Posts
Yes, I heard that they are still too loud to use inside a house without ear protection.
Hey if you want one, great!
As for me I would rather spend my 1K on another gun.
Do you need to shoot a suppressed gun in the hours???

But if you do need to would you rather hear a unsuppressed gun or a suppressed gun in a house. I've heard it both ways - I doubt many realized the debilitating impact of a gun blast in an enclosed area.

But, it makes no sense to buy a suppressor on the premise that you may need to shoot it in a house, but if you have a suppressor that would be the way to shoot in a house.

·
Registered
33,986 Posts
I know firing an empty primed case inside a house is pretty loud.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
A year or two ago, I bought SilencerCO Osprey. I have more guns than I know what to do with, so I figured that was the next natural step. It will work with 9mm, 45ACP and 300 Blackout. I bought threaded barrels for my G19 and G30, and took it for a spin. Sub-sonic 9mm was quiet (sounds like an air rifle), but it sure took away a bit from accuracy. The G30 still sounded like a gun going off.

The hassle to legally acquire this thing was amazing. Paperwork that only my gun shop could decipher, passport photos, but the worse part was having to be fingerprinted by a particular police precinct. Not just any police station will provide these services. I've had concealed carry permits in SC, and presently have CC permits in Georgia and Utah. My fingerprints are highly documented. Yet, if I want to buy another suppressor, I still have to go through the same process all over again.

I really would like to have a suppressor for a .22 pistol, but not bad enough to go through all that headache again.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
My family set up a gun trust and the suppressors are in it. A little more work with setting up the trust through a lawyer on the front end, easier on the back end and we have access to all without being in non-compliance with ATF. Plus, as a couple of us could kick off at any time, it was an avenue for transfer to descendants of the items in the trust with no legal issues. We have been using the Silencer Shop electronic apps and it makes it a snap getting all the signatures on new ATF forms when we need them.

·
Registered
33,986 Posts
My fingerprints are highly documented. Yet, if I want to buy another suppressor, I still have to go through the same process all over again.

I really would like to have a suppressor for a .22 pistol, but not bad enough to go through all that headache again.
And that is what it is really all about--creating a hassle that many, if not most, are not willing to deal with.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
And that is what it is really all about--creating a hassle that many, if not most, are not willing to deal with.
Ah yes, the lazy American theory.

I highly doubt the hassle really is consequential to anyone. People deal with hassles all the time for things that they want. What I most commonly see and hear is the personal affront people feel to having to do something extra for something they perceive as their right. They are offended by it, so by God they aren't going to do it.

·
Banned
232 Posts

I highly doubt the hassle really is consequential to anyone. People deal with hassles all the time for things that they want. What I most commonly see and hear is the personal affront people feel to having to do something extra for something they perceive as their right. They are offended by it, so by God they aren't going to do it.
The entire silencer law is bogus at least and useless at best. Would I go through the nearly year long process just to spend a $1000 and make certain everything in my house is subject to inspection at will? Hell no! I'll make my own first. It might not be as effective as store bought, but it's just as tasty. But I have it easy to do that; the resources, the ability to do research on the subject, the tools, the intelligence to understand danger and how it happens, the simple fact that a can has to allow a bullet to pass through without trapping the gasses and create an explosion, and many other common sense attributes. I wouldn't have to take it to public area either. As for using it in a home defense situation; I'm an optimist, it'll likely never happen. Even if it does...it all depends on how pissed off I get.

·
Registered
33,986 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts

You underestimate how lazy I am.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
To me the biggest benefit is can on my HD gun. While you probably should take to doing mag dumps at the range with no ear pro and super sonic ammo. The handful of rounds I’d be firing inside the home would be muffled enough to not blow my ear drums. Also there’s the change in decibel distorting where that shot came from and the diminished or removed flash. Yes there’s weight and loss of ability to CC but threaded barrels are relatively cheap and two cans would cover 99% of the needs of shooters. A 30cal can and a 45 cal can would cover all pistols and rifles up to 300wm.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts